• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jean-Luc Picard

Second Lieutenant
37 Badges
Feb 17, 2015
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Magicka
  • Semper Fi
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • War of the Roses
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
Sorry about the quality but I can't screenshot since HOI likes to crash through steam, yay another problem.

(I'm Greece, and I decided to declare war with Poland during Germany's Blitz just to show my support, I received all of this land and It's not the first time this has happened.)

Anyway, How can I delcare war (TO HELP) Germany win wars, not to gobble up every piece of land that's left after they surrender.

In my last campaign I ended up with the Urals as Sweden... This makes very little sense to me and really ruins the gameplay, surely Germany's needs are more important than mine ?

If I can't join in on a war without being given every single piece of territory like the human player is the god of all gods I don't think I'll be playing Their Finest Hour much more.

QBBYmBc.jpg

Last edited:
This looks like you couldn't wait for the call to arms and started a seperate war against Poland. Both of you used conquest and now you ruined Barbarossa because there is no way to supply it from Athens.
Easiest solution: Wait for the call to arms next time, and let Germany kill Poland alone. At least don't take territory. German AI is usually very eager to call her minor European allies to arms when she wants help.
I think your Sweden issue is related. Enter the same war via call to arms from Germany, and her wargoals will take precedence over yours (at least Drang nach Osten). Don't dow seperately. If the CtA never happens, we're talking about another story, that one is easy to get via console command.

This looks like you couldn't wait for the call to arms and started a seperate war against Poland. Both of you used conquest and now you ruined Barbarossa because there is no way to supply it from Athens.
Easiest solution: Wait for the call to arms next time, and let Germany kill Poland alone. At least don't take territory. German AI is usually very eager to call her minor European allies to arms when she wants help.
I think your Sweden issue is related. Enter the same war via call to arms from Germany, and her wargoals will take precedence over yours (at least Drang nach Osten). Don't dow seperately. If the CtA never happens, we're talking about another story, that one is easy to get via console command.

I was wondering if it was to with the fact I hadn't been called to help or not, with the Swedish campaign I was waiting on the sidelines for a good year without being asked for help.
I'll look into the console command because I bet I'll be needing It, It might be cheating but when every other minor has been called to help It sucks to be left out :)

Consider this solved I suppose xD

Thanks for the help!

The problem with the wargoals system is that not all countries have a full set of options to take land. For the majors, there are regions that you can claim, but for a lot of the minors, it's "all or nothing", and there is no way to choose "nothing" other than by losing.

I've had a number of games where I wanted a particular port, city, or resource location, but had no choices other than "Annex" or "Puppet", and in a few others could also go for "cores", which generally included nothing of any real value in game terms. Sure, Italy (for example) can claim several French provinces along the Alps, but Nice doesn't have any Leadership, IC, or Resources of its own, those are all concentrated in Marseilles, which is NOT available as part of any wargoal short of "Annexation".

Another fine example is Hungary, which gets "cores" in three of its neighbors. You get all three of those by political events without doing anything, but those are only what was returned historically, and only about half of the land which was taken away at the end of WWI. There are several "juicy" provinces just outside the available "cores", which were very much a part of Hungary's aspirations to recover its lost land and people. If you want the remaining pieces, you have to conquer and annex all of Yugoslavia, Romania, and Czechoslovakia (you can actually choose several different regions in CZE as wargoals, in fact everything EXCEPT the piece that they wanted back and didn't get), but annexing CZE before 1st Vienna breaks Germany's event chain, and attacking Slovakia after 1st Vienna puts you in a really short war against both GER and ITA.

The wargoal system was a great idea, but only half-implemented in the game.

If the CtA never happens, we're talking about another story, that one is easy to get via console command.

Please, what is that console command?

And any advice on use, such as how long would one wait before expecting a CTA won't happen (other than waiting to prepare)?

Please, what is that console command?

And any advice on use, such as how long would one wait before expecting a CTA won't happen (other than waiting to prepare)?

The easiest way to get a Call to Arms is to open the console (press the "~" key), and then type "TAG GER". That should switch you to playing Germany. As Germany, issue your own country a CTA. Whatever you do, DON'T start the clock, otherwise the AI will start strategically redeploying your entire army to strange places, butcher your production and research settings, cancel half of your trades, and do all sorts of other things in seconds, which will take you hours to fix. At that point, save the game, quit, and reload as your own country.

It's also possible to simply tag-switch back without saving and reloading, but sometimes things break. As a safety precaution, I'd still recommend saving the game, but you could try switching back ("TAG <your own country's 3-letter code>") and see if it works for you. If not, you can reload the saved game.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll continue to steer clear of tag switching other than re-loading up the game.

Regarding choice in war goals, I've been playing HPP which offers a variety of war goals in its cb_types.txt files, including non-acquisitive ones, so it seems open to modding by those who can.

If you go into the games folder (hoi3/tfh/) I think its in the maps folder, you'll find a file called regions. If you enter the word 'peace' underneath the region names (eg. ROM_4556) you'll be able to take whatever region you want

You could also manually assign some provinces to your country by console after the war, but yeh the wargoal system is a bit lacking in the game. I hope we can choose manually some things in hoi4 :)