• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Positives from the video:
-I'm glad the factory/equipment system is that complex.
-I'm glad there is some alt-history chance with Austria and that you actually have to place troops on the border. Always a nice touch.

Negatives:
-Combat system. Seriously, I don't see myself having any fun with it. Take 20 divisions, drag them into "GREAT ARMY OF DEATH", assign one general and boom, you're done. Poland conquered. Poland was never hard to conquer but it was kind of a practice run for Germany. Now it feels like each campaign apart from Barbarossa will take 3 seconds of arrow drawing and then unpausing the game. This is an enormous disappointment. It's like they made an excellent game but then looked at the main bit and just said "let's make it automated and like EU4". I thought the arrow drawing Blitzkrieg with Rommel in command of 12~ divisions in 1936 (...) would be gone but it looks like it's just a tiny bit improved. This probably means I wont pre-order or buy the game until it's at least 50% off. Only Kaiserreich coming out would probably make me buy it earlier than that.

Sure, HOI3 had a complex system, but the most annoying thing about it were the supply ranges and HQ's. What was wrong with Darkest Hours combat system? Why did you have to go full baby-mode with it?

So what? You have the choice to draw te plans or to attackmanually.. i dont get it what the problem is but ok...

Because you can't organize your army. From what I've heard there is no OOB at all, so every unit will be a separate thing on the map. Sure, it will be easier for CK2/EU4 players to manage but for me it kills the whole immersion, along with the Playdough map and stupid looking counters. And inb4 "modders will fix it!" - I'd rather get a complete game at start.

Not to mention I want a game that's better than the previous one, not merely adequate. At this point I fail to see how the HOI4 combat system will be even on par with DH. What they should have done is refined the HOI3 land combat system, not just cut it out and replaced it with Arrow Simulator 2015.

Arrow Simulator is more accurate to real life though.

How much is it arrow simulator, now, though? He says that it's changed since the earlier demos where you draw arrows, and now all he had to do was draw an offensive 'front' behind Warsaw, if I heard correctly. If I didn't, my apologies, I'm kind of rushed.

Damnit, you beat me to it :p .

Think I'll skip this thread, glimpsed a whole paragraph of red text and feel this might develop into another ragefest...

Except they seemed to have removed these arrow drawings. If it is like Quill18 describes it then it is horrible, you select a bunch of divisions and draw a new frontline and watch the AI do all the work. Hello? HoI series is supposed to be about tactical combat more than anything. That is just plainly aweful, it is so bad that I can't even desribe it with words. With drawing arrows I could have made many smaller arrows and it would still be fine but now when all you do is draw a single front line. If this is true then I would get my shovel and begin digging a deep trench as the storm will be intense, much more intense than about the map or counters or transport planes combined.

How much is it arrow simulator, now, though? He says that it's changed since the earlier demos where you draw arrows, and now all he had to do was draw an offensive 'front' behind Warsaw, if I heard correctly. If I didn't, my apologies, I'm kind of rushed.
It is exactly what he said.

It is exactly what he said.

Alright. We can still hold out hope that he was just unsure of how to draw those arrows, though. An hour isn't a whole lot of time to learn every intricacy, especially if you only have one war in that hour. I mean, I'd still be a little disappointed, but it would be much better than simply drawing fronts.

Alright. We can still hold out hope that he was just unsure of how to draw those arrows, though. An hour isn't a whole lot of time to learn every intricacy, especially if you only have one war in that hour. I mean, I'd still be a little disappointed, but it would be much better than simply drawing fronts.
If it is only drawing fronts, then I am done with HoI. Sure I accept fronts when it is for preparation or when you are trying to defend a front then fine. But when you are attacking, a big NO.

Mmm, it does sound like they've ditched the arrows. On the one hand I can see some positives - mainly that you can set exactly which provinces you want the next front to end, which may have been a bit difficult with the arrow system - however I'm concerned that pincer movements, or avoiding specific forms of terrain (swamps, etc.) may become harder.

EDIT:

Yeah, I'm hoping that it might have simply be an oversight, as the front system sounds similar to how defensive positions were done in earlier videos.

2nd EDIT:

Has the video disappeared for anyone else?

Positives from the video:
-I'm glad the factory/equipment system is that complex.
-I'm glad there is some alt-history chance with Austria and that you actually have to place troops on the border. Always a nice touch.

Negatives:
-Combat system. Seriously, I don't see myself having any fun with it. Take 20 divisions, drag them into "GREAT ARMY OF DEATH", assign one general and boom, you're done. Poland conquered. Poland was never hard to conquer but it was kind of a practice run for Germany. Now it feels like each campaign apart from Barbarossa will take 3 seconds of arrow drawing and then unpausing the game. This is an enormous disappointment. It's like they made an excellent game but then looked at the main bit and just said "let's make it automated and like EU4". I thought the arrow drawing Blitzkrieg with Rommel in command of 12~ divisions in 1936 (...) would be gone but it looks like it's just a tiny bit improved. This probably means I wont pre-order or buy the game until it's at least 50% off. Only Kaiserreich coming out would probably make me buy it earlier than that.

Sure, HOI3 had a complex system, but the most annoying thing about it were the supply ranges and HQ's. What was wrong with Darkest Hours combat system? Why did you have to go full baby-mode with it?
Factory system is nice, although I don't agree with removing money. That is a big negative, who used trading resources for resources? Has Hearts of Iron 4 become comintern simulator 4? There were alternative history in most mods of HoI3 as well and previous HoI games as well. That is not something revolutionary at all. I agree the biggest problems were the HQ units(not the hierarchy) and supply issues. And I agree with you on the combat system, if it is like Quill18 says it is then I predict a hell to break loose. The only thing that I was excited about was that I could micromanage as much as I wanted by drawing crazy number of arrows, but if that is gone then there is simply nothing left for me as far as hearts of iron is concerned.

I dont see why you think that having those options makes the game unplayable as some seem to suggest.If you dont like that, just manage your units manually like in Hoi3.Its an option, you can let the AI take control or do it yourself.No need to act like its the end of the world, having more options is always better.
That ways casual guys can have a little fun with the game and then if you like to micromanage the units like me you can just not use the front system and thats it.More options is always better.

I agree, that combat system / battle planner doesnt look good from that description (understatement of the year).

Preview by someone with better knowledge about WW2 and HoI3 would be nice. Nothing was mentioned about intelligence, supply or other topics - not sure if he wasnt aware of those or if he wasnt allowed to discuss them.

Last edited:
Mmm, it does sound like they've ditched the arrows. On the one hand I can see some positives - mainly that you can set exactly which provinces you want the next front to end, which may have been a bit difficult with the arrow system - however I'm concerned that pincer movements, or avoiding specific forms of terrain (swamps, etc.) may become harder.

EDIT:

Yeah, I'm hoping that it might have simply be an oversight, as the front system sounds similar to how defensive positions were done in earlier videos.

2nd EDIT:

Has the video disappeared for anyone else?
It will be like I play as Germany and set up one front in Soviet Union, assign all my troops to the same front and then just watch the AI do all the work. I may as well take a coffee break, sleep and come back in 2 hours to check how much progress the AI has made. What a great game experience that would be.

I dont see why you think that having those options makes the game unplayable as some seem to suggest.If you dont like that, just manage your units manually like in Hoi3.Its an option, you can let the AI take control or do it yourself.No need to act like its the end of the world, having more options is always better.
That ways casual guys can have a little fun with the game and then if you like to micromanage the units like me you can just not use the front system and thats it.More opt
I did not like to micromanage, I liked the battleplanner as it was with the arrows. Removing them is a bad choice and in addition to that I would get a penalty for managing my units(are you serious?)

I did not like to micromanage, I liked the battleplanner as it was with the arrows. Removing them is a bad choice and in addition to that I would get a penalty for managing my units(are you serious?)
The way I see it, you can simply assign a general and you will get the bonus, but dont use the automatic battleplan.Hopefully it will be clarified more in tomorrows stream, but it would be suicidal for Paradox to remove the option to manually control your troops.

Status
Not open for further replies.