• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

okurc

Corporal
30 Badges
May 8, 2004
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • BATTLETECH
  • Knights of Honor
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Pride of Nations
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
Hod latest patch, discovered eg and autos. Capis immediately started auto factories but constructions don't move since no eg is available in the market. Waited 3 years no good. Then when I looked at input cost and eg sales price in the market (considering all efficiency improvements) I realized why no one produces eg in the world market either. At the start eg is a total financial loss with inputs 4 rubber 5 coal and iron. Usually rubber price is high and eg sales price low (16 at the start and goes up to 20) So I changed factory input to 3 rubber and everything started like clockwork from start in previous save file. After couple of tries break even point is 3.7 in my save file. Is it only me or other people do have similar problems.

Electric gear factories are reliably among my most profitable factories. Looking at base prices, they'll make almost 50% beyond their input goods even ignoring efficiency techs. It's true that rubber is going to be expensive, but so are electric gears.

The big danger is overproduction. It's really easy to overproduce electric gears. This stinks, because they consume a lot of rubber and only really go into things with rubber. So you end up using rubber in materials you can't use because you don't have any rubber left over. >.>

Electric gear is very quickly profitable in my experience, there may be a small gap when you have electric gear but no one has cars and planes so there's no almost no demand, but after the world starts producing cars, planes etc. EG is a cash cow so I'm not sure what happens in your game.
Do you have an EG factory, what does its profitability says ?

Not at the start I just did calculations by hand. Then when I changed input number to 3 it was auto built. At the start 1892s rubber price was 23 and eg price 16 which in time balances and later becomes opposite. Then eg factories starts to pump cash. The thing I did wrong was tech research priority, I should have waited couple of years after eg and there would be enough rubber state conversions and surplus with lower price. Then search for combustion at the time eg factories more feasible. Something I would keep in mind.

Around 1880 there is simply little to no demand fpr Electric Gear and the price is still very low. Once Automobile and Plane factories are up you will sell a lot though - and if you have demand > supply the price will climb and make the factories profitable.

First of all, I would strongly advise against changing the input requirements for factories. If there is a factory type that is not profitable, there is usually a good reason for it that is related to supply and demand and efficiency. Given that my electric gear factories are always my best earners (even beating out cars and radios), the fact that yours are facing problems points to a market problem, not a game problem.

The #1 thing to look at first is whether you even have access to the inputs you need for the factories. If it is early enough, you may simply not be getting significant quantities of rubber. And even if all rubber events have fired, if you aren't #1 in the world, someone else might be buying up all the rubber before you get a chance to buy any. This is why one of my strategies is to conquer and colonize all areas that will have rubber in them eventually. If I own, I get to buy it and feed the gaping maw that is my factories.

I'd also think about whether your factories are efficient enough. If you have the rubber, and there is demand for electric gears, but the factories aren't profitable, then you need to look at the economic techs and industrial techs you have. If you are behind in economic techs that provide factory efficiency bonuses or you are behind in the power techs under industry, get those techs ASAP. The percentages on the economic techs seem small, but even a +2.5% increase in output efficiency can mean the difference between being profitable and going bankrupt. The input efficiency techs are also vital; that 1% reduction in input good demand makes a huge difference in the late game.

As others have mentioned, electric gear is 1 of, if not the most profitable factory in the late game. The only reason I can think of why your electric gear factory isn't profitable, even right at the start, is because you don't control enough rubber. Not knowing what nation you play nor your situation, I can't be sure obviously but that's the only thing I can think of. This will certainly be too late for your current game, but for the next one always prepare for the late game and make sure to control/sphere the main rubber producers. That means prioritize sphering Brazil sometime in the mid game as Brazil is the primary rubber producing nation. Other than Brazil make sure to prioritize colonizing the rubber producing provinces in Africa and depending on what nation you're playing also South East Asia. If you have access to rubber than there's no reason for electric gear factories to not be profitable at any point in the game unless you massively over produce it and/or run out of rubber.