• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hmm. I could swear there was a stickied "Interesting characters you could play as" thread a while ago. Maybe those two could be merged and stickied?

@Ols Thanks for the info! Bummer, I'll have to remove her.

The principle is the same for most rulers anyway. Agnatic-Cognatic does not allow you to directly grant land to an unlanded woman (they have to inherit it from someone else). Only Cognatic succession allows "Grant Landed Title" for women. Tengriist and Muslims (among others) are even more difficult as women can NEVER inherit, no matter what happens. The only way to play a landed Muslim woman is to convert after inheriting or to have it pre-programmed into the game.

How does one summon a mod to request a sticky? :p
Still looking for suggestions!

You make a post in a thread and wait to see if they do it.

Or you just send them a private message.

You could also try calling Paradox directly if you don't mind international phone bills.

Great initiative KestrelGirl!

Reactions:
She's not landed (so not playable unless you land her yourself), but I've always been fond of Anna Komnene, daughter of Alexios Komnenos.

@Tywinzo There are a lot of Wikipedia entries for Blanche de Navarre, but it looks like only one was Queen of France - and she was queen-consort, and she was never a countess or duchess, so she's not playable.

I believe this is supposed to be her:

t1Vq5tU.jpg

You are right though that you can not play her - I did not expect that. Frankly somewhat sad to see her being a side-kick. She was the de-facto ruler of Champagne for roughly 20 years, sorted out monetary issues and essentially won a civil war during 1216-1219 (!). And after winning the war she placed all the local barons under her control and converted allodial lands into feudal lands through neat strategic maneuvering.

She was countess (in CK2 terms: duchess through marriage to a duke) of Champagne, then regent of that land and eventually Queen regent of Navarra. I think that should qualify as a "playable ruler". But anyway, that's a different story.

EDIT: Just wanted to add something. Champagne was not a shitty rear-fief that did not matter. It was a wealthy, strategic domain strategically placed between the Holy Roman Empire and the French royal demesne with importance to the King. To, as a woman, control this, is, in my opinion, a rather powerful position. It is perhaps not Eleanor of Aquitaine-degree, but certainly not insignificant.

Last edited by a moderator:
How come no one suggested Jeanne I of Navarre yet? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_I_of_Navarre

Jeanne I de Blois of Navarre, Queen of Navarre (duh). Starts ruling in 1274, but she's only 1 year old at the time. Preferable start: EDIT: 4th of October, 1285. Around that time she EDIT: still retains her lands (along with Champagne) and, although married to Philippe IV of France, she doesn't have any children yet.

Last edited:
Can we check through this list one by one to make sure that they are all playable characters and not speculative? It's very difficult to wind up playing a female character if they're not landed at game start, so it's misleading to suggest that you can just switch to a historical figure ingame (since women can't be granted land if they're not landed already).

Can we check through this list one by one to make sure that they are all playable characters and not speculative? It's very difficult to wind up playing a female character if they're not landed at game start, so it's misleading to suggest that you can just switch to a historical figure ingame (since women can't be granted land if they're not landed already).

They can be granted land quite easily - by quickly changing the inheritance laws via the console - and since you are granting land and switching characters anyways this is a non-issue.

Instead - a set of simple instructions on how to get these characters in position to be played should be written.

Edit - Thank you for stickying this thread.

They can be granted land quite easily - by quickly changing the inheritance laws via the console - and since you are granting land and switching characters anyways this is a non-issue.

Instead - a set of simple instructions on how to get these characters in position to be played should be written.

Edit - Thank you for stickying this thread.

I don't think use of the console counts as being playable. If people using ironman can't do it then it shouldn't be listed. A potential option would be to link unlanded famous women from the period under a secondary "unplayable" section, with instructions on how to make them playable via cheats.

The reason I disagree with you is that there are too few playable characters without including those that can be made playable. Ironman mode is an optional playmode. A popular mode, perhaps but it is still optional and not everyone plays ironman mode.

It is just like in the old thread, people listed the "playable" character of Johan ... even though you had to grant him land and switch characters. Under your rules, he would no longer be listed because those playing iron man would not be able to switch characters.

Edit: The whole point of this thread should be to inform the community of the possibilities. Limiting those possibilities seems to go against the spirit of the thread.

Last edited:
The reason I disagree with you is that there are too few playable characters without including those that can be made playable. Ironman mode is an optional playmode. A popular mode, perhaps but it is still optional and not everyone plays ironman mode.

It is just like in the old thread, people listed the "playable" character of Johan ... even though you had to grant him land and switch characters. Under your rules, he would no longer be listed because those playing iron man would not be able to switch characters.

Edit: The whole point of this thread should be to inform the community of the possibilities. Limiting those possibilities seems to go against the spirit of the thread.

They should be categorised under playable and unplayable. Playable is defined as accessible from a historical bookmark, or easy to end up playing without using the console (accessible via Ironman). Unplayable is defined as impossible to access from a historical bookmark and difficult to end up playing without the console. There are few playable female characters - let's categorise the ones that exist before wishing more into existence and ignoring people playing ironman (or abstaining from the console). It is my view that including them into two separate lists (both on this thread) is more logical and takes into account that the number of playable women ingame is substantially smaller than we might want it to be. A "now try this" list of women inaccessible in normal gameplay is in effect the afterthought to listing female rulers - the unplayable list could be construed as more of a wishlist and a reason for Paradox to land more women with historical power.

A much simpler way of addressing your concern is to denote whether the character is playable in ironman or not. I guess instead of dragging out this further we can agree to disagree here.

A much simpler way of addressing your concern is to denote whether the character is playable in ironman or not. I guess instead of dragging out this further we can agree to disagree here.

That's just the solution I proposed, but rephrased.

All right... this thread is now officially a STICKY!! Let's add some more characters and make this worth it!
By the way, only one or two characters on this list aren't available in Ironman. I'll change the options for Eleanor because she's Ironman-friendly. There's just that one Sultana (edit: Shajar) you probably can't play.

Last edited:
All right... this thread is now officially a STICKY!! Let's add some more characters and make this worth it!
By the way, only one or two characters on this list aren't available in Ironman. I'll change the options for Eleanor because she's Ironman-friendly. There's just that one Sultana you probably can't play.

Which Sultana? Both Raziyya and Shajar are playable.

Not that I'm complaining, but have you folks realized that we're basically fishing for any female characters here, not just the most interesting ones of them? Okay, maybe I skipped a countess or two when going through Wikipedia, but that's it.

So why not just take a look at the .txt files and get the females from there and just make a schedule of which country, which date they're at, all female rulers in the game?