• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

KevinG

General
8 Badges
May 9, 2009
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
Seen this happen in dozens of games now. Whenever I take a colony with a low population nation like Sweden or Belgium, at first a few accepted culture POPs will migrate to the colonies. After a decade or two, if the POP was small like <200, all of them will have disappeared from the colony. This is with 0 wars being fought in between and no -X% population events in the colonies. It seems like my national POPs get assimilated to the native culture whenever they promote or something.

That would make sense, but the wiki states that this should be impossible.

"Cultural Assimilation is the phenomenon that people of not-accepted cultures will turn into the primary culture of the nation. (For example German pops living in Denmark will slowly turn into Danes)"

This wouldn't be the first time the wiki is wrong however.

In general, I wouldn't rely on wiki too much. That quote is about cultural assimilation though (and it's correct AFAIK), not about the promotional assimilation.

I did a bunch of google sleuthing and found that promotional assimilation is indeed a thing, which is ****ing annoying because nowhere is it mentioned in the manual, wiki, or any player written guides. I guess this wouldn't be victoria without its obtuse mechanics though.

I think I recall reading about it in some paradox docs. It's kind of self-evident though - when pop promotes deltas within a province are often unique, so you can tell what transferred has occurred.

I've seen my POPs get assimilated into native population simply because they are a minority. I've seen my Japanese citizens turn into Polynesian colonial subjects. Similar thing with Netherlands and Indonesia.

What annoys me even more is that those people first mingle with natives, and then join them, and then join rebels because they are pissed off that a foreign power is controlling their nation. This was the case I spotted (after closely watching) when I colonized Vietnam.

It seems that majority will always assimilate the minority, no matter who owns the province...as long as there is a national core they had. This is not a problem for 'empty' areas being colonized, since they didn't have a national core.

If you don't want your nat pop to disappear in your colonies/states and willing to be a bit gamey. I suggest you open your save game and go to any province your nat pop is in. Once you are there, you should look into each pop with their jobs and if you see an extra pop in a job, edit it to be your nat pop; I would also edit the number to be lower if you don't want to cheat. Let me explain what I mean,

As USA, I go to Baja California and note that there is a small south german artisan pop in addition to a large Mexican population. I change the culture of south german to yankee, so the immigrant will have somewhere to assimilate to, as well the yankee farmer to promote to since the pop will prefer to promotional assimilate to their culture if available... if not then they will simply assimilate to what pop there are.

There is probably also some amount of colonial migrations from the primary-culture pops in those colonies to other colonies. You can see this happening in Australia, particularly in the early game, with brits in there deciding to leave to Canada, often emptying whole provinces of British presence.

There is probably also some amount of colonial migrations from the primary-culture pops in those colonies to other colonies. You can see this happening in Australia, particularly in the early game, with brits in there deciding to leave to Canada, often emptying whole provinces of British presence.

That's impossible due to the colonial modifier.

I think I finally figured out this stupidly annoying "feature". Playing as Sweden I grabbed Puerto Rico from Spain which turned it into a state since I already turned St Thomas into a state. I closed down all my factories in my biggest state, causing craftsmen and clerks to migrate to Puerto Rico. For a few weeks all the low income strata POPs were assimilating into Swedish craftsmen. Unfortunately, the second a single Swedish farmer appeared on the island, all the Caribeno farmers started turning into Swedish farmers instead of craftsmen. Luckily, some Swedish clerks managed to migrate to the province, so now 100% of all the middle income strata POPs are turning into Swedish clerks. Such a stupid retarded system, but it can be abused in some instances.