El Dorado: Asymmetry, Disease & Intrigue?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SavvyPlayer

Second Lieutenant
46 Badges
Aug 7, 2001
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
Apologies if this has already been discussed, please feel free to redirect this to the appropriate thread if needed.

During a recent Aztec playthrough I had perhaps naively expected to encounter relatively small conquistador units through the early part of the 16th c., whose strategy would primarily be focused on tech, religious (psych warfare), disease, intrigue and frequent demands for tribute. Instead we merely encounter brute force, with Spain and Portugal fielding continental-sized armies (80k units) supported by armada-sized fleets that are completely unstoppable. The result resembles something more like a Mongol invasion with none of the insidious mechanics that historically drove the demise of the American cultures.

Having read through the first two El Dorado DD's, the changes in native religion look like a great first step in capturing some of the historical flavor of the region, but more is needed to transport the player back to, witness, and change history in an authentic way. Much of this can be accomplished by way of mechanics that already exist in the game. For example, smallpox events modeled as plague severely depleting manpower and provincial support, leading to rapid attrition. Conqueror religion rapidly spreading like reformation via colonial centers of conversion, diplomatic promises, decisions and events, all accompanying the frequent arrival of various conquistador/adventurer personalities throughout the 16th & 17th centuries. These forces should never consist of more than 2k troops to emphasize the asymmetry of the period and reflect the difficulty in transporting and supporting large armies across the open ocean.

A few ideas around diplo and events might include (from the perspective of a native, but these diplo decisions might be initiated by either a native or advanced/conquering nation):
1. Pay large sums of gold in exchange for large military tech boosts (buying weapons, etc).
2. Welcome a conquistador at the expense of prestige or legitimacy in exchange for large boosts in admin & diplomacy.
3. Ally or swear fealty to a european power in exchange for protection/assistance against rivals. These alliances could sometimes lead to positive relations despite religious differences, and create opportunities to convert or westernize without bordering a western core. The vassal would retain the right to declare against regional rivals and competing colonial powers, it would also increase serfdom substantially, and revolt risk when the tech differential is large (exploitation of natives).
4. Hire conquistadors as advisors for a high price in exchange for enormous boosts in admin, diplo or mil (+4, +5, +6 based on the tech differential). This would neutralize the threat of war with the advisor's home country, which would receive 50% of this income and provide a boost in relations. It would also increase the spread of culture and religion within the land via the advisor's new wealth and influential status.
5. The native player could simply crush these frequent adventurer forces given his numerical advantage, creating hostile relations and giving up most of these opportunities to modernize. This path would mean that later in the game continental-scale invasions made possible through developed colonial empires and high naval tech levels would be difficult or impossible to counter.

All of these would have some probability of failure based on the traits of the ruler, intrigue, etc., creating windows for the small but frequent adventurer forces to take over the country through coup d'etat while leaving it playable as a westernized vassal or protectorate with high revolt risk. Finally these changes could be globally applicable between *any* two nations having a tech differential of xx% or more (maybe 20%?), and would be equally interesting to play as native or conqueror.

Just a few ideas having been a casual fan of the series for over 15 years. Cheers.

Last edited:
The main problem in what you suggest is the aI's peace deals. I have seen so many wars where the AI wanted a certain province, but, after winning the war, they ask for something completely different. Or the religious wars in the HRE. I have never known the AI to Force Religion on their enemies in the 30-years-war.
So, in the case of Latin America, the AI will simply say: "See. Want. Take."
Then again, when I wage war against the Aztecs, I also go for large tracts of land. So who am I to complain?

Very good and very ambitious ideas. But as misterbean said, when the player does not exercise restraint, why should the AI? With the current setup, it is not alternate history in its truest sense. It's more like a what-if for europeans only. Sure, some gifted players out there can take Iruquois and make them a superpower, but the vast majority of us will have to resign to the fact that native americans are cannon fodder and are just ambience for the Europeans in-game.

But having said that, I do find the game very lacking in simulating Europe-India contact. Never have I seen the English ally with a local Indian power to vanquish their rivals, when, in fact, that was their primary method of expansion within India historically. Currently, "if you are not owned by us, you are against us" principle reigns supreme in the game.

The AI is so bad at naval stuff, that the devs had to give it unlimited naval range just to keep up with players. :laugh:

I have known the Portugese to turn the locals into protectorates, though. If the natives can get on the Europeans' good books, that might be a way to go.

edited to add: besides, that is what the French did in North America, IIRC.

The native Americans were very capable people. They truly were able to put up a very good fight against anyone, but their terrible tech group is there because IRL the diseases wiped out immense amounts of their population and were left very weak and with poor defense. I think if paradox implements diseases for the natives, then they should get a huge tech group upgrade

There's also the case that since tech represents so much material advancement, rather than organisational or societal sophistication, then civilizations like the Aztecs are low-tech. It doesn't matter how literate, star-studying, architectural, centralised or sophisticated you are - if you fight with sharpened rocks (obsidian) and clubs you aren't as 'advanced' as someone with access to guns and steel. It would be cool if there were more features, like the OP suggests, that allow you to tech-up or gain advantages through relations with the westerners. It could come at the cost of random provinces flipping to your westerner's religion and maybe increased revolt risk, but it'd be a very fun element of flavour to introduce. Heck, it could even be a better way to represent westernisation if they could split it up into a more gradual process whereby you annoy your people ever so slightly to import new weapons, ideas and tactics.

The native Americans were very capable people. They truly were able to put up a very good fight against anyone, but their terrible tech group is there because IRL the diseases wiped out immense amounts of their population and were left very weak and with poor defense. I think if paradox implements diseases for the natives, then they should get a huge tech group upgrade

[citation needed]

Had the conquest of Mesoamerica been based on Western warfare with Western weapons, I'd be inclined to agree with you. However, it was more a case of 'whichever polity has Iberian support wins'. Even Cortés' conquests were fought mostly with local soldiers, applying local weapons and tactics. Sure, their tactics were better suited for the terrain, but what would you expect? Technologically, they really were that far behind. Their astronomy, mathematics, etc. was about on par with that of ancient Egypt, which, while impressive for its time, was also millennia earlier.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

[citation needed]

Had the conquest of Mesoamerica been based on Western warfare with Western weapons, I'd be inclined to agree with you. However, it was more a case of 'whichever polity has Iberian support wins'. Even Cortés' conquests were fought mostly with local soldiers, applying local weapons and tactics. Sure, their tactics were better suited for the terrain, but what would you expect? Technologically, they really were that far behind. Their astronomy, mathematics, etc. was about on par with that of ancient Egypt, which, while impressive for its time, was also millennia earlier.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

True, but I believe the Americas would still be home to Native nations today if they had immunity from the European diseases. I do know they were behind in tech, but they were home, and it would be very hard for Castille or Britain to ship over one gigantic army to defeat them in the numbers that they used to have

Manpower and Base Tax are massively nerfed for the sake of disease, not technology. The technology rates are rather fine.

That said, there is a significant problem with Mesoamerica and the Andes having the exact same technology level as the American nomads in 1444.

There's also the case that since tech represents so much material advancement, rather than organisational or societal sophistication, then civilizations like the Aztecs are low-tech. It doesn't matter how literate, star-studying, architectural, centralised or sophisticated you are - if you fight with sharpened rocks (obsidian) and clubs you aren't as 'advanced' as someone with access to guns and steel. It would be cool if there were more features, like the OP suggests, that allow you to tech-up or gain advantages through relations with the westerners. It could come at the cost of random provinces flipping to your westerner's religion and maybe increased revolt risk, but it'd be a very fun element of flavour to introduce. Heck, it could even be a better way to represent westernisation if they could split it up into a more gradual process whereby you annoy your people ever so slightly to import new weapons, ideas and tactics.

I'd say that if the current system of tech groups is to remain, each tech group needs a different tree of technological progression. Otherwise, it really gives off a Hollywood History feel, along the vein of games such as Age of Empires.

It's rather silly for the American civilisations to research Feudalism as their first administrative technology, for example.

the native Americans were not really that primitive in many areas (math the consent of 0, suspension construction and bioengineering ie the development of corn and potatoes) they were way ahead. their diet was nutritious and they were vary healthy in comparison to Europe at the time that was having huge problems with famine and poverty. contemporary sources (Europeans) describe natives as beautiful and superbly healthy and fit in contrast the natives described the Europeans as smelly (Europeans didn't bathe regularly) ugly short and untrustworthy. colonists described the living arrangements of the natives as superior to their own in construction and adapted to the environment and they also had huge city's with tens of thousands of people and I'm talking about the northern Americans here like present day USA. the natives bows were a lot more effective then early muskets in most situations though European steel was way better then what the natives had which was brass or bronze at best. the natives also had a much more modern sense of child care. Europeans even up to the eighteen hundreds had child labor. natives had none and the Aztecs even had public schooling for everyone! the only reason Europeans conquered the Americas was disease. the population of the Americas was around 100 million people but 90% died of diseases. that's worse than the black plague and almost reaching Spanish flue levels. people traveling along the east coast noted that colonization was impossible because their were already as populated as they could get. if i had the choice of where to live at the time ignoring the disease epidemic that would probably kill me i would much rather be an native American. if you want sources and proof just read the book 1491 or take a college course on it like me. its amazing just how much we ignore natives and disregard them and a shame for such a proud diverse and advanced people to be so horribly wiped out by disease.

as a side note most populations in the Americas were settled. their were only nomads in the great planes and the Argentina area.

No, the tech group is there because you can't start with earlier than 14th century european tech, where mesoamerican should start at least 1000 years behind that (or 3000 year behind on naval, and on par on government). So intead of having a 1000 years of tech to catch up on, the game simulatees that with slow anacronostic technology.

the population of the Americas was around 100 million people but 90% died of diseases. that's worse than the black plague and almost reaching Spanish flue levels.
You have your Europe-affecting pandemics exactly backwards there. The Black Death killed upwards of 75 million people, at a time when the world population was probably only about 450 million. The 1918 H1N1 influenza epidemic (which neither started in Spain, nor affected Spain particularly more severely than anywhere else in Europe; the epithet "Spanish" arose because Spain was the only large country in Europe that wasn't censoring reports on the matter, on account of not being involved in the Great War) killed about 50-100 million, at a time when the world population was nearly two billion.

It's been a long time I wanted some sort of restriction to overseas invasions, as well as an enhanced "native" gameplay (though this could apply to other regions with Europeans trading weapons as you mentionned). Your suggestions are much more ambitious though, I really like it. I think the colonization idea groups should really give extra special diplo slot reserved for overseas diplomacy only, so that colonial powers could engage in diplomcy with natives/Indians or whichever local place of European colonization without hurting diplomacy within Europe. It would also allow to simulate the conflicts and tensions beetween natives supported by say France to retake British colonnies rather then France landing 100k men in India to directly occupy those British provinces.

It would also prevent silliness as the Aztecs, once on par in tech, invading Europe with equally big armies.

Last edited:
It is indeed very unrealistic that European countries can support so large armies in another continent. The manpower recovery for those armies should be very slow and cost a lot more than it does for armies in Europe.

Manpower and Base Tax are massively nerfed for the sake of disease, not technology. The technology rates are rather fine.
That said, there is a significant problem with Mesoamerica and the Andes having the exact same technology level as the American nomads in 1444.

I'd say that if the current system of tech groups is to remain, each tech group needs a different tree of technological progression. Otherwise, it really gives off a Hollywood History feel, along the vein of games such as Age of Empires.

It's rather silly for the American civilisations to research Feudalism as their first administrative technology, for example.

I agree 100% with these comments from the period 1444-1492 as we essentially have natives researching completely unknown concepts. Once contact is established however, it's reasonable to expect this millennia gap to disappear. So a native tech tree if added could consist of just a handful of techs, maybe 5 in each branch. To recognize native innovation as pointed out by Redwallzyl, some of these techs might also be of value globally, desirable, and available to states having other tech groups only through peaceful diplomatic relations with native states. Thinking especially of native agricultural innovations (mango, banana, corn, potato, tomato cultivation) that began to spread in the 17th c. some of which were critical to the development of European nations both at home and abroad...

I agree 100% with these comments from the period 1444-1492 as we essentially have natives researching completely unknown concepts. Once contact is established however, it's reasonable to expect this millennia gap to disappear. So a native tech tree if added could consist of just a handful of techs, maybe 5 in each branch.

This is already what Natives do; they research five different things in each of the three branches, then reform their government when they come in contact with the Old World. The exceptions here are the Andean natives (stuff like the Inca) and maybe Mesoamerica (Haven't played a Mesoamerican native); the OPM Natives in South America and all of North America's Natives operate on the aforementioned flowchart.

3. Ally or swear fealty to a european power in exchange for protection/assistance against rivals. These alliances could sometimes lead to positive relations despite religious differences, and create opportunities to convert or westernize without bordering a western core. The vassal would retain the right to declare against regional rivals and competing colonial powers, it would also increase serfdom substantially, and revolt risk when the tech differential is large (exploitation of natives).

There is already a mechanic which represents this; Protectorates.