• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How did they do that with that photo before photoshop?

Is the photo fake?

You could fake photos even before digital cameras existed. They probably tempered with the negatives.

Yup.

http://www.fourandsix.com/photo-tampering-history/

1945-Reichstag.jpg

Additional info.

After fierce fighting a flag was raised at 10:40 p.m. on 30 April, 1945 when 23-year old Rakhimzhan Qoshqarbayev climbed the building and inserted a flag into the crown of the mounted female statue of "Germania", symbolizing of course Germany. As this happened at night, it was too dark to take a photograph. The next day the flag was taken down by the Germans. The Red Army finally controlled the entire building on 2 May.
The original photo (top) was altered (bottom) by editing the watch on the soldier's right wrist

On 2 May 1945, Khaldei scaled the now pacified Reichstag to take his picture. He was carrying with him a large flag sewn for this very purpose by his uncle from three tablecloths.The official story would later be that two hand-picked soldiers: a Georgian, Meliton Kantaria and a Kazakh, Rakhimzhan Qoshqarbaev, raised the Soviet flag over the Reichstag, and the photograph would be often used as depicting the event. Some authors state that for political reasons the subjects of the photograph were changed and the actual man to hoist the flag was Alyosha Kovalyov, a Ukrainian, who was told by the NKVD to keep quiet about it. However, according to Khaldei himself, when he arrived at the Reichstag, he simply asked the soldiers who happened to be passing by to help with the staging of the photoshoot; there were only four of them, including Khaldei, on the roof: the one who was attaching the flag was 18-year-old Private Alexei Kovalyov from Kiev, the two others were Abdulkhakim Ismailov from Dagestan and Leonid Gorychev (also mentioned as Aleksei Goryachev) from Minsk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_a_flag_over_the_Reichstag

EDIT: Is there any evidence Augustus actually did try to remove Mark Antony's name, Telesien? Never heard of that before. All I've heard is that he merely employed propaganda to blacken his name, and depict him as a brute, but nothing like damnatio memoriae.
In his case it was more of a pretending that he never had a pretender in him, if you know what I mean. Like dating the start of his reign before the Battle of Actium.

But maybe he didn't really do that. I am not 100% certain, even though it was common practice among Roman emperors. The only case in Roman history I can think of where someone tried to erase someone completely is when Caracalla killed Getta.

Akhenaten. Poor heretic on the egyptian throne. After his death the old elite, especially the priests, tried to erase him from history.

A well known case is the damnatio memoriae decreed by the Roman emperor Caracalla against the memory of his younger brother Geta; after murdering him he ordered his name to be erased from all monuments and public records, and his statues and portraits to be defaced or destroyed, like in the "Severan tondo" were emperor Septimius Severus was portrayed with his wife Julia Domna and their two sons Caracalla and Geta:

Severan%20family%20tondo.jpg

The reverse is also quite funny: people added to historical events they were not present ;)

Sarkozy at the Berlin Wall? :p

For example, or the centrist Hervé Morin, his minister of Defence minister, who pretended to be at the D Day landing in Normandy while he was born after the war ;)

But I was more thinking to

sacre+napoleon+et+jos%25C3%25A9phine.gif

which feature Laetitia Buonaparte who refused to be there...

Or
versailles_1871_maxi.jpg

which feature Albrecht von Roon who wasn't neither there ;)

Here in the forum people have also recieved damnatio memoria. E.g. ********* and ******.:p
I know about ********* but who is, or was rather, the other nonperson?

The reverse is also quite funny: people added to historical events they were not present ;)
In best (Korean) cases they add people to historical events that didn't even happen. :p

Domitian received damnatio memoriae.

I know about ********* but who is, or was rather, the other nonperson?
r y o k e n. No idea what he did. By the way the guy named ****** was active for less than a day on christmas eve 2002, but the guy named ******69 is banned, so it must be him who did something. Funny that his number isn't starred. Also I wonder what would happen if the ****** from 2002 suddenly came back.

In best (Korean) cases they add people to historical events that didn't even happen. :p
Examples please.

Examples please.
Pretty much whole of stories involving Kim Il-sung's guerilla campaign against Japanese occupiers waged from Mt. Paektu and Kim Jong-il's birth there are fabrications. Only thing that is true is that Kim was a guerilla leader, but pretty much everything about what he did and where is fabrication, because leading a small group of Koreans under the Chinese commnists didn't fit his later narrative. There are also load of fabricated stories about Kim Jong-il. One was about how little Jong-il during Korean War told his father to change the route his car was driving, after which, other cars continuing on the same route were hit by American air raid.

Talking about Kim Jong-il, he had a younger brother who died as a child (drowned by his elder brother while the two were playing at pool according to some people) and is never mentioned in the official Kim family biographies.