Constitutional Monarchy is not sensible in its current state and should have change!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
They just went bonkers after that. Obviously a peaceful transition to constitutional monarchy didn't sever enough necks.
There was the slight matter of Austria and Prussia rattling their sabres.

I made a suggestion on how to meaningfully differentiate constitutional and absolutist forms of governments a couple of months back.

I feel that constitutional monarchies are too similar at the moment to absolutist forms of monarchies. It provides basically the same experience except for some bonuses. A constitutional monarchy is about as similar to an absolute monarchy as that absolute monarchy is to an enlightened despotism, which doesn't seem right.

My idea is that constitutional monarchies will trend towards average competence. Talented, vigorous monarchs will be muzzled somewhat but at the same time inept ones will be buoyed because the apparatus of government does not rest solely or mainly on the monarch's shoulders anymore. So monarch stats above 3 will have a -1 modifier while stats below 3 will have a +1 modifier.

So for example, a base 4/1/5 king would in effect be a 3/2/4; a 6/3/2 effectively a 5/3/3; and so on.

I'm not familiar enough with republics but I imagine this mechanic would work as well there.

This would make the choice between constitutional and absolutist forms of government more meaningful - do you forgo exceptional rulers in exchange for never getting a truly awful one?

There could also be some malus around an absolute monarch that is terrible at a certain stat, similar in concept to the maluses terrible horde rulers currently get.

Great suggestion! Maybe also add a focus feature for monarch (Prime minister with a unique skill that adds two points to either Adm, Dip or Mil stats). This will make Constitutional Monarchy very powerful but hard to get feature in the game (if you take my offer to make an English civil war event to achieve the Constitutional government as compromise between Republic and Monarchy).

No you're not, otherwise you would control rebellions.

Impressive, it usually takes more than one sentence for someone to actively prove themselves wrong but you managed lol.

You have a large amount of agency in rebels in this game. More than you have in monarch point income in fact.

Impressive, it usually takes more than one sentence for someone to actively prove themselves wrong but you managed lol.

You have a large amount of agency in rebels in this game. More than you have in monarch point income in fact.
- and that in fact does not mean that you control rebellions. And if you playing republic, you have 100% control over your MP.

There was the slight matter of Austria and Prussia rattling their sabres.

TBH Austria wanted none of it. France pushed for war because the far left thought it would be a perfect opportunity to eliminate the internal and external enemies of France simultaneously. Whereas the right thought that with France in such a state they must surely lose and Austria would then stop the revolution. So France started to bully the electors on their border (Trier I think) to get them to expel the emigres. Austria would have lost IA if they had just ignored this obviously!