• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Emtenn

First Lieutenant
111 Badges
Jun 2, 2011
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Dungeonland
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
Blood and Iron [WTWSMS Lombard AAR]
y7HjFGb.jpg

"To the Langobardi, on the contrary, their scanty numbers are a distinction. Though surrounded by a host of most powerful tribes, they are safe, not by submitting, but by daring the perils of war."
I was playing WTWSMS as the Lombards and I just couldn't resist coming up with stories and such in my head for what was going on. As such, I decided to create another little AAR thing. I'm still doing the Legacy of Seleucus, but I've been wanting to take a crack at this mod for awhile now and figured I may as well do some writing with it. This will be a mostly story-driven AAR.
Basics
-No cheating.
-No savescummery.
-Will only migrate to places I have connecting borders with.
-I'll stay Germanic Pagan as long as possible.

Goals
-Survive.

Mods in Use
-When the World Stopped Making Sense

The Table of Contents
-Background
-Chapter I
-Chapter II

Last edited:
Reactions:
Background
"It is better to maintain liberty by arms than to stain it by the payment of tribute."

To understand the Lombard people, it is important to look upon their history. he Origo Gentis Langobardorum tells the story of a small tribe called the Winnili which dwelt in Southern Scandinavia. The tribe split into three parts, one part of which departed their homelands in search of foreign fields due to overpopulation. The Winnili were led to the land of Scoringa, ruled by the Vandals and their chieftains. Upon arrival, the Winnili were given the choice between war or paying tribute to the Vandals. The choice was difficult, as the Vandals outnumbered the Winnili greatly. However, the Winnili were defiant and chose war over tribute.

The Vandals turned to their god, Godan for advice, who informed the Vandals that he would give victory to them that he saw first at sunrise. The Winnili, in a precarious position due to their lack of numbers turned to the Goddess Frea. Frea convinced the Winnili that their women should tie their hair around in the front of their face to mimic the appearance of beards and march in line with their husbands. Heeding this advice, the Winnili women did as Frea advised and marched into battle alongside their husbands. Godan, catching sight of the Winnili first, asked "Who are these long-beards?," and Frea replied, "My lord, thou hast given them the name, now give them also the victory.". Thus, from that moment onward, the Winnili were known as the Longbeards (Langobard, Langobardi, Lombard).

However, this story is simply mythological. In all likelihood, the Winnili changed their name to the Longbeard descriptor after the Winnili transitioned from their original fertility cult in the primary worship of Godan(Wodanaz/Wodan/Odin). This theory is supported by the belief that Langobard derives from one of the ancient Germanic names for Odin, which was Langbarðr. This is the origin of the Lombards, a people who refused to submit.

Last edited:
Chapter I - Northern Winds
UrpAhjr.png

The winters grew colder, the nights longer. The bitter cold that had spread across the land crept closer and closer and Godehoc could feel it. The bitter wind from the north, the wind that they had once escaped. They had won their place in the world long ago, yet it seemed that the land they had inhabited was doomed to fail. Just as their old ancestral homeland had been, the land was steadily growing barren as the bitter cold claimed more land. The yields of their crops were low and for all intents and purposes, their agricultural structure was failing them -- yes, they had the stores to get them through the winter, but how many more? Was it wise for them to stay?

The cry of a young babe arose Godehoc from his musings -- his son had fathered a son, and that son had also fathered a son...He wouldn't have thought it overly possible if not for the fact that he'd seen the infant with his own eyes. Quite the feat for a boy of only ten years, though Godehoc didn't seem to mind. No, his great grand-child was a bitter reminder of something else...The tribe was growing, and even if the winters did subside the people would soon outgrow this paltry land. It wasn't blind ambition that guided Godehoc's hand, but rather desperation. Still, the celebration was raging on throughout the tribe. He had just been married.

2OZJqU0.png

He was meant to be happy, to be celebratory but instead Godehoc wore only a grim expression. "Father." The voice called, stirring his attention as he turned his head to face his son. His heir. The future of the Tribe, if things worked out right.

8SqlNmY.png

"What is the matter?"

Claffo was a simple lad, not the strong warrior like he was though Claffo could hold his own in a fight if he had to. No, Claffo's mind was sharpened in other ways. He had a mind for management, something Godehoc had convinced himself was an awful side affect of their staying in place too long. The tribe had gone complacent -- perhaps it was time for a change.

"My mind is filled with thoughts, Claffo." Godehoc grunted out, scooping a bit of food up before stuffing it into his mouth to chew and swallow. Claffo raised an inquisitive brow as he looked toward Godehoc, silently asking his father to explain.

"Winter came earlier this season, Claffo. The snows have already fallen and we've lost half the crops. Our hunters, likewise, are unable to cope with the change. Mark my words, this wretched weather is Godan's punishment upon us for resting so easily." Godehoc spat, Claffo looking rather taken aback by his father's words. Had they truly forgotten their roots? Had they really become complacent, and if true, were they indeed being punished? Godehoc seemed to believe so, at least. Or perhaps Godehoc simply looked upon the lands which his tribe governed with envy. Whatever the reason, his spite was not something that could be averted.

"I want you, Claffo, to begin preparing the Tribe to move. If we are to survive this forsaken weather, we must move the tribe."

"But where will we go? What land would be given to us?"

"By Godan's will we'll take the land we need, Claffo. We must rededicate ourselves to Godan, we must avert his scorn."

----
0z9AjVP.png

As Godehoc had commanded, Claffo had rallied the tribesmen. The men gathered around while the women worked to hastily disassemble the most vital parts of their rudimentary villages. Food was packed en masse, and before the great migration began Godehoc sought the favor of the Gods. While the tribe prepared to move, the men would sacrifice animals in honor of Godan in hopes that he would impart upon them his wisdom and steel their will. That he would deliver them victory, and their enemies death

War was coming, and the men of the South would soon feel the blade of Lombard iron upon their flesh.

ov7ZoJE.png

Last edited:
nice! Subbed! Are you planning to take Italy as RL?

Chapter II - An Unstoppable Force
tKbB5zj.png

Some Epic Music

Fires crackled in the distance behind them, the entire Tribe had gathered together in a massive column. To see an entire civilization on the march was definitely a sight to behold, their chief leading the Vanguard of the movement. They had been settled for so long and across such an expanse that it had taken some time to gather the men together. In the distance, the neighbors of the Langobardi had taken note to the rising clouds of smoke, the shift in the animals as they fled the massive army on the march. Some would say that the Gods themselves had warned the enemies of the Langobardi that the tribe was on the move, that once more the fierce Langobardi people intended to make war. It would have been wise to let the Langobardi travel through, to provide them shelter and food and send them on their way...but the enemies were not wise, and the world would forever remember the day that Godehoc made good on his promise to the Gods.

u679eyx.png

The Battle of Chomutov was but the first in a series of brutal conquests enacted by the Langobardi as they migrated southerward, while also serving as the first taste of combat for Godehoc after several long years of peace. Whether out of foolishness or desperation, the neighboring tribes had rallied a considerable force together and set out to intercept the Langobardi people as they had made their march south. It was confidence, or madness.

"Kill them all!" Godehoc shouted at the top of his lungs, the Langobardi soldiers slamming their weapons against their shields as they had formed into a cohesive unit, blocking their enemies from getting to the women and children in the back. The Langobardi's were dressed in varying degrees, some wearing heavier armor and others daring to show into battle with nothing but their weapons and their testament to their Gods painted on their bodies. Unfortunately, the Langobardi had unified in a way that was unexpected, a total mobilization of their people.

The massive force seemed unstoppable as the wall of spears and shields kept the enemy tribes at bay while the skilled Langobardi hunters put their bows to new task, arrows flying through the air and striking into the weakly armored tribesmen as they threw themselves fruitlessly upon the wall of Lombards. Godehoc himself participated in the fierce melee, leaving the actual command of his troops to another while he soaked his blade in the blood of his enemies until they were driven before him and their ruin smote upon the countryside.

---

wD68GR8.png

Months had passed since the battle and it had been nothing but easy conquest after easy conquest. Foolishly his enemies had mustered their entire army to purpose in the Battle of Chomutov only to be met with ruin. Each push forward saw the Lombards meet with success after success as the local tribes were left defenseless. Pillaging occurred in gross amounts, the villages looted and their women stolen into the night as the Lombard army descended upon the lands as if it were a plague. Some women chose to take their own lives rather than live in disgrace, others still fought to their last breath to withstand the invasion. Children, barely 8 summers old put to the sword as the Lombards moved in. Every liberty imaginable was allowed to the Lombard troops as they carried their tireless campaign out.

News, however, was not all that grim. There had been a birth, Godehoc seeing life fill the lungs of his first daughter. The fruit of his new wife's labors would prove valuable in the future, and Godehoc gave praise to Godan that the child was born healthy with no defect. Born in the weaning months of winter, in the first month of the new year, was Engelberga.

PdQ1yE7.png

"We've occupied most of their lands, father. They cannot hold out long."

Godehoc's son spoke. The chief giving a somber nod. It had been months since they had defeated their enemies army at Chomutov and the tribe was starting to grow restless with the war. There was a desire to settle down, to prepare for the next harvest season. It would be many summers before the tribe would be willing to leave, so Godehoc had chosen to be absolutely certain in his conquest.

"Spare no man. Take this land and make it known who we are, then we are done."

Godehoc instructed, his voice hushed as he held the small babe in his arms, examining her. His duties to the tribe had seen him removed from the battlefield, a fact which he loathed. His son, however, was coming into his own as a warrior and a general. The youngman was the lead element of multiple assaults which subjugated the local populace to the Lombard way. It was through his guidance that many battles were ultimately won, and under his leadership that the tribe would depend when Godehoc took his place in Godan's hall upon death.

---
GJ9mXBd.png

As anticipated, the last of the tribal leaders capitulated to Godehoc's son, Claffo, almost four entire years since the migration had begun. The tribe had already begun to settle the land, but with the defeat of this last chief their position had been cemented. Word reached Godehoc that his old lands had been occupied and taken by those that had either hid like cowards or those that had ran northwards to escape the fury of Godehoc's army as it marched south.

HZZOYaZ.png

It did not matter. His tribe had found a new home, and with that home came peace. But peace would not last. Even this far south, the bitter winds of winter grew colder and Godehoc knew that this arrangement would be a temporary one at best. For the sake of Engelberga, Godehoc would find a suitable land for his people. To this end, Godehoc renewed his vows to Godan and once more took to sporting a beard, as his ancestors had done before him.

Good luck. I would tell the Longbeards how nice Egypt is during the winter. :rolleyes:

I'd said Italy or Hispania are far closer than Egypt and might be easier to conquer

Sorry for the long wait, this will be finished tomorrow. I had my term finals and then I got sick during the break and Total War Attila came out, so I got a little distracted.

Chapter III - Of Matters Pertaining to the Tribe [AKA - Peace is boring.]

Reserved.

My biggest problem right now is that with my limited freetime, I've been having trouble getting motivated to playing CK2. I was trying to wait until the current King dies to actually write Chapter III, but my drive to play CK2 has been basically non existent =w= lol

Subbed! I like the style in opening chapters. Did you say a 10 year old sired a son? How?

I have no clue. It's in the Lombard family tree. Godehoc's grandson has a son.

Weird. I started an Aquitaine game as Duke and I had a son but no mention of who the mother was...