• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'd say that adding Varys into the mix is a good way to indicate that Aegon might in fact be Rhaegar's trueborn son. People like to use it as a reason to disbelieve, and I understand that, but if you ask me, if there's anyone who could've seen the sacking of King's Landing coming and made preparations ahead of time, it would've been Varys (and in fact, he did know not to trust Tywin). The girl wouldn't have been easily replaced with some nothing silver-haired child, I imagine, plus she would've been of little value compared to her brother, considering that the for the Targ's, the only legitimate form of inheritance was Agnatic.

Also, good work on the victory. I'm guessing by you mentioning the Tullys and Starks that Edmure and Rickon are living it up still?

Now you have the throne, but can you hold it that is the question. :)

CHAPTER IV - THE FIRST DAYS OF PEACE

The war was over. It was still near two weeks before I finally entered the capital, parading down the cobbled streets towards Maegor's Holdfast. The Lannisters that remained in the capital surrendered themselves to me, no doubt in hope that my justice would be fair. It would be, as much as it pained me. I was not a Lannister, I was not a murderer, a kingslayer, a traitor. To treat them as they treated my family would make me no better than them, and I was to let them know, that I was better than them. Jaime Lannister was immediately stripped of his white cloak and throne in a cell. His sister, Cersei, was afforded a room in the Red Keep, kept under house arrest with her daughter, the now ex-queen Myrcella, in her care. Though the Lannisters would face justice soon enough, I had many other matters to attend to.

Sat upon the Iron Throne at last, Harry Strickland was the first to seek my counsel. The Captain-General of the Golden Company had served as one of my most trusted advisers, and most staunch allies. A ceremonial guard of five hundred of his men filled the halls of the throne room, as their leader sought an audience with me. Their mission fulfilled, Strickland announced his intent to me to disband the sellsword company. With the line of the dragon restored to the through, there was naught else for them to accomplish. In thanks of his service, I granted Strickland a place in my court, should he accept it, and gave permission to the rest of the Golden Company to seek service with any lord of Westeros willing to take them in. This was the least I could do for the men who had put me on the throne.

Before departing, a man stepped out from Strickland's guard, holding in his hands what appeared to be a weapon draped in silk. The solder handed it to Strickland, who then presented it to myself. Since the days of Aegor Bittersteel, Strickland said, the Golden Company has held this sword, in hopes that one day it could be presented to the true and rightful king of Westeros. Today is that day, my king. Removing the silk, Strickland revealed a blade of Valyrian steel, set into a hilt of pure black, with a large ruby adorning it. Blackfyre. The ancestral blade of my house. The blade was long-thought lost, but in truth the Golden Company had held it since the days of the Blackfyre rebellion. Now, at last, it was mine.

tyiil49.png

The matter of my new Kingsguard followed next. I had no desire to keep the Kingsguard of my enemy as my own, but there were two that I deemed worthy enough to keep their places. Sers Loras Tyrell and Balon Swann had proven themselves fine and honorable knights, worthy of the white cloak. Osney Kettleblack and Rory Valkyn however, were no such knights, and were stripped of their cloaks and allowed to return to their homes, forever shamed. That left only three. Jaime Lannister was my prisoner, leaving only Meryn Trant and Ilyn Payne. Varys had told me of these two men, men who took pride and pleasure in the beating of small girls, and the murder and torture of innocents. These men's crimes were too henious. They would be sentenced to death.

With the Kingsguard cured of it's impurities, the task now fell to me to grant the white cloak to four men of my choosing, knights worthy of such an honor. With much deliberation, I named William Wythers, Richard Horpe, Narbert Grandison and a lowborn named Megdar to the Kingsguard. These men had proven themselves as skilled warriors and battlefield commanders. They did not flee in the face of adversity, and would guard my life, even if it meant giving their own. None were more suited to wear the white cloak. I named Rolly Duck, my longtime friend and companion, as their Lord Commander, and Duck was more than honored to accept the role. I couldn't think of a man whom I would rather have standing at my side, to guard and keep safe me and my blood.

P6YuYcG.png

With my enemies imprisoned and awaiting justice, a newly-founded Kingsguard at my side, I had only the matter of a few titles and the establishment of a Small Council left to attend to, before my reign could truly begin. The establishment of my Small Council was a simple matter, as there were a number of clear and obvious choices before me. Jon Connington, my greatest ally, had served as my Hand since we first landed in the Stormlands, and he would keep the postion. My wife Margaery, whom I had found to be quite the shrewd diplomat, I named my Master of Laws. The role of Master-at-Arms traditionally fell to the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, and I saw no reason as to why Duck should not take up the position. Grand Maester Pycelle kept his position, though this was a decision of the Citadel, not the king; and two of my staunchest allies were granted seats on the council too. Doran Martell and Lord Varys, two of my earliest supporters, were named Masters of Coin and Whispers respectively.

With my new-found councilors, I discussed the matter of the revocation and granting of numerous titles throughout the kingdoms. The war had proven long and difficult, and had shown the true colors of many lords and ladies throughout Westeros. I gave my councilors the task of divvying out smaller lands and titles, but there were three that I would see to myself. Years earlier, Rickon Stark had been found alive and well, and was thus the natural claimant to the North. To ensure the loyalty of the Northmen in the coming years, I decreed that Lord Roose Bolton and his son Ramsay were to be imprisoned by the crown, and the title of Lord of the North was to be granted to the Stark boy. It would not be hard to convince the Northern lords to throw the Boltons at my feet, and swear fealty once more to House Stark.

Similarly, to ensure the loyalties of the Riverlands, I had the Lordship of the Riverlands revoked from Petyr Baelish, though there was no reason to have the man imprisoned. Edmure Tully, who had remained a prisoner of the Lannisters throughout the war, was returned to Riverrun and granted the Lordship of the Riverlands. With the son, daughter and granddaughter all awaiting trial, I passed on the lordship of the Westerlands to Kevan Lannister, the most logical choice. Though the Lannisters had proved disloyal, it would be folly to strip the family of the Westerlands, and Lord Kevan was tame in comparison to his brother. He would suffice. The matter of the Stormlands, the lands of the Usurping family of House Baratheon, was a more complicated matter. I could not, nor would not, return the title to the Baratheon's, and so I made the decision to grant the title to a new lord. Jon Connington was the Hand of the King, the Lord of Griffin's Roost and my oldest and greatest friend. Now too was he Lord of the Stormlands.

5kmRkd3.png

With pressing business settled, the time was finally right for my coronation. I sent word to the High Septon that arrangements were to be made for my coronation, and he replied with haste. Preparations took a few weeks, and it was in those weeks that I finally found the time to relax. I had not noticed that it had been well over a year since I had cut my hair, the thought of war was too pressing to notice. It was down past my shoulders, long, straight and silver. You look like your father, Lord Jon told me one evening. I'll keep it. With the preparations finished, the day of the coronation had finally arrived. Silks of black and red adorned the streets and walls of the capital, the bells of the Great Sept of Baelor rang, and flocks of small folk lined the city streets to celebrate the return of the dragons. It was a grand spectacle, filled with cheer, laughter and happiness. Not even the thought of the Lannister prisoners could dampen the spirit of the day.

Kneeling before the statues of the Father and the Mother in the Great Sept, the High Septon held the crown above my head and said the words: In the sight of the Seven, I, His Holiness the High Septon, anoint you, Aegon of the House Targaryen, sixth of your name, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm. Hail!

Ozz7ad2.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
And so you have the throne, holding it may be another matter. Never trust the lannisters. :)

And so you have the throne, holding it may be another matter. Never trust the lannisters. :)

My trust for the Lannisters will depend on how Kevan Lannister acts over the coming years.

good... some years of peace are always welcomed... btw, what is Daenerys doing these times? still creating an Empire in the East?

good... some years of peace are always welcomed... btw, what is Daenerys doing these times? still creating an Empire in the East?

I have no care for what my aunt is doing in the East.

Pshht... Same thing she's always doing, fighting the Yunkish.

Reactions:
As for who killed Tommen, need we really ask? It was clearly a team of Varys and Doran and/or Arianne Martell. It put them in a situation where they are in powerful position no matter who wins. Either Martel is good-father of the Queen, or Grandfather of the King.

I doubt it would be Varys, as killing Tommen would risk Doran and the Martell's not bothering with Aegon for, as you said, they'd be married into the royal line, and a Martell would be king in the next generation. Then again maybe Varys would countenance losing the Martells' for good with gaining the Tyrells. Really, there were so many figures in King's Landing that Cersei would've earned the ire of there isn't a shortage of people ready to kill a Lannister.

Olenna Redwyne is most likely responsible for Tommens death. She would not have a hard time persuading Mace to support Aegon. After all, the Tyrells were Targaryen Loyalists during Roberts Rebellion

As for who killed Tommen, need we really ask? It was clearly a team of Varys and Doran and/or Arianne Martell. It put them in a situation where they are in powerful position no matter who wins. Either Martel is good-father of the Queen, or Grandfather of the King.

I doubt it would be Varys, as killing Tommen would risk Doran and the Martell's not bothering with Aegon for, as you said, they'd be married into the royal line, and a Martell would be king in the next generation. Then again maybe Varys would countenance losing the Martells' for good with gaining the Tyrells. Really, there were so many figures in King's Landing that Cersei would've earned the ire of there isn't a shortage of people ready to kill a Lannister.

Olenna Redwyne is most likely responsible for Tommens death. She would not have a hard time persuading Mace to support Aegon. After all, the Tyrells were Targaryen Loyalists during Roberts Rebellion

Though I'm still not certain who it was, I don't think it was Varys, (he was in my court and I had my eyes on him), nor do I think it was Doran, (though he wants the fall of the Lannisters, I don't think he'd want to murder an innocent boy). I'd be most inclined to lean towards the Queen of Thorns. Mace doesn't have the spine for this sort of thing, but Lady Olenna certainly does, (she did it once), and in doing so, she secured an alliance with Aegon.

Then again, as NACBEAST pointed out, there's no shortage of people in King's Landing, let alone the rest of the Seven Kingdoms, who'd want to see them dead. Maybe time will tell who it was.

Well, personally I think Varys, Doran, and Illyrio are motivated not by dynastic loyalty but by a belief that there must be a Targaryean on the throne to defeat the Others. Another reason to try and get on your aunts good side. Others are in the game now.

Rather than let the ai give them out, I might hand out counties to Golden Company members. Its always seemed a shame that they don't stick around as a Varangian style vassal merc troop. And is it me or is it extra dumb you don't get the badass sword until after you win the war?

Excellent, the true kings are again on the throne! :)

Well, personally I think Varys, Doran, and Illyrio are motivated not by dynastic loyalty but by a belief that there must be a Targaryean on the throne to defeat the Others. Another reason to try and get on your aunts good side. Others are in the game now.

Rather than let the ai give them out, I might hand out counties to Golden Company members. Its always seemed a shame that they don't stick around as a Varangian style vassal merc troop. And is it me or is it extra dumb you don't get the badass sword until after you win the war?

You guys are certainly going in depth regarding the Tommen murder. :laugh:

And I would have liked to have granted them some titles, but I didn't have any to give. A castle in King's Landing would have done nicely, but they all belonged to people who swore me fealty, I couldn't just rip the titles out from under them. They'll make do somewhere else in Westeros, I'm sure.

Excellent, the true kings are again on the throne! :)

And shall remain there for the foreseeable future!

Great stuff! Subscribed.

Thank you, kind sir. I hope I can keep it up. :)

CHAPTER V - THE TRIALS

It had been weeks now since the coronation, and the stage was finally set to begin the trials of the Lannister twins, as well as the Bolton lord, Roose, and his bastard son. Though trials were common place in the capital, none of this size had ever been witnessed before. A queen, a Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, a Warden of the North and his heir, all on trial for their crimes, all within the same timeframe. The smallfolk began to refer to the occassion as the Trials of the Traitors, yet whether this was done so in support or jest of the throne, I did not know. Myrcella, the last of the Usurpers to sit the throne, would not face trial, but would remain in my care as a hostage of the crown. A girl of her age was no doubt manipulated by others, and a verdict reached that sentenced the girl to death would be too far. Keeping the girl in the Red Keep would at least ensure Kevan Lannister's cooperation in the future.

In standing with tradition, the Hand of the King headed the jury, but in a departure from said traditions, more than three men sat at the head of proceedings. I had instructed the high lords of the Seven Kingdoms to remain in the capital following my coronation, to ensure that they would all be present for the trial. As such, the lords paramount from each of the kingdoms was present, and played an active role in the outcome of each trial. Even Kevan Lannister partook, a task I gave to him to prove his loyalty, and his truthfulness in the light of the Seven. The trials began with a lowborn knight by the name of Arnel. In hopes that the war might have endured long enough for Myrcella to blossom and birth a child, the man was wed to her in secret, in hopes that another Lannister might be born to sit upon the throne. The decision was made that the man was merely a pawn, and he was sent north to take the black.

Next was Jaime Lannister, the Kingslayer and the father of Queen Myrcella, with his sister Cersei. Though the decision was not unanimous, it was decided that the Kingslayer would be sent to the wall. Many called for his head, but the wall could always use more skilled fighters, and there were none more skilled than Jaime himself. His sister however, was not so fortunate. Kevan, as you might suggest, made the case that Cersei should be given to the Silent Sisters, but the remainder of the jury judged her crimes too heinous. In the sight of gods and men, Cersei Lannister was sentenced to death. The execution would take place a fortnight from the day of the verdict, so that perhaps the Queen Regent might be able to come to terms with her fate, and seek some measure of forgiveness for what she had done.

pXXJeoU.png

In a shocking turn of events, Roose Bolton- the Lord of the Dreadfort and new Lord of the North- was deemed innocent by the jury, and I was left with no choice but to release him. The man had actively played a role in betraying his liege lord, Robb Stark, and nearly brought about the entire destruction of the ancient house itself. Apparently the jury had forgotten then, but the Seven had made their will known, and even as king, I had to obey. Ramsay however, was not so fortunate. For the countless men, women and children that he tortured, flayed and murdered, Ramsay Bolton was sentenced by the jury to the same fate as Cersei Lannister- death.

With the Trials of the Traitors concluded, all that remained was the last few steps towards consolidating my rule. Before the war began, a red priestess from the east had come into the service of Stannis Baratheon, twisting his mind and tearing him away from the Faith of the Seven. Stannis claimed himself to be Azor Ahai- the champion of the Red God- and had planned on taking the Seven Kingdoms with his new-found faith. As such, the populace of Dragonstone had followed their liege in converting to this new religion, and so too did a number of lesser lords in the Seven Kingdoms. I tasked Septon Alan, a man that my councilors told me was well regarded in the kingdoms, with bringing these lords back to the Faith. I sent him to Dragonstone to begin his task, and prayed to the Seven that it would be done quickly.

Though the followers of R'hllor had to be dealt with, it was the followers of another god that proved most troublesome. Euron Grejoy, the self-proclaimed King of the Iron Islands, had refused to bend the knee with the other lords, and claimed independence for him and those who followed the Drowned God. The Crow's Eye, as he was know, was said to be a cruel, vindictive and malicious man. It was of no surprise then to learn that he had been fighting a civl war on the Iron Islands, with various lords rising up against his tyrannical ways. With the Ironborn refusing to swear fealty to me, it was clear that war was inevitable. However, it was also clear that the best course of action would be to let the civil war play out. Regardless of the victor, the strength of the islands would be severely diminished as a result, making the conquest of Pyke all the easier when the time came.

AauK0uu.png

It wasn't more than a few months before Lord Varys brought the news of the ending of the rebellion on the Iron Islands. His little birds had informed him that Baelon Blacktyde, the leader of the rebels, had surrendered to the Crow's Eye, and was subsequently thrown off his ship in full plate, no doubt to be sent down to their Drowned God to await his punishment. Varys' birds also reported that the war had gone as expected, with heavy casualties being suffered on both parts. Under five thousand men remained a the command of the Greyjoys, a measly force in comparison to what I could muster.

I gathered my council, and the conclusion was made that now was the appropriate time to strike. I began drawing up an official decree to the Crow's Eye, asking him for his cooperation and his fealty. To the honorable lord Euron Greyjoy, the letter read. I, Aegon Targaryen, Sixth of his name, hereby command you to lay down your crown and swear fealty to the one true king of the Seven Kingdoms. Should you refuse, war will be had. I knew full well that the Iron King would never agree to my terms, and so I began mustering an army and a fleet in preparation for his inevitable refusal. In doing so, I would give myself valuable time to get my army to the western shores, and prepare for the invasion of the Iron Islands.

0LbQCok.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Roose Bolton and innocent in the same sentence? My head asplode. At least tell me he's not Warden of the North any more.

Although unlike Ramsay, Rose would probably accept defeat and adapt. The man is cold blooded and cruel, but not blindly aggressive.

Did House Frey escape justice? Probably Old Walder finally died.

Roose Bolton and innocent in the same sentence? My head asplode. At least tell me he's not Warden of the North any more.

Although unlike Ramsay, Rose would probably accept defeat and adapt. The man is cold blooded and cruel, but not blindly aggressive.

Did House Frey escape justice? Probably Old Walder finally died.

I was extremely shocked when Roose was declared innocent, but who am I to question the gods? He's no longer Warden, Winterfell, the North and the title of Warden have all been returned to the Starks, in the form of Rickon.

As for the Freys, death was justice enough for them. I went back and looked, thirteen of the male Freys died before I even took the throne, including Walder, Stevron and Ryman. The gods served them their own form of justice.

13 is not enough... all Frey who participated in the Red Wedding should pay for such a horrible crime

Just keep killing them till Roslin winds up inheriting. Then next generation the Tully's get the twins.

Edmure is unlucky in his vassals. Little finger and the Frey's, and didn't Lancel Lannister wind up with Darry? Not a recipe for harmonious rule.

Edit: also, what happened to Stannis? Did the Lannisters execute him, send him to the wall, or what?