• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lord_P

Field Marshal
67 Badges
Apr 17, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • War of the Roses
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
I want to create the Mughal Empire in CK2. Where should I start and any advice?

What i would like to see is Mamluk Mercenaries (Or event troops) being available to Ghaznavids and other muslim invaders of india. Perhaps even event chain where Mamluks usurp the throne, so we actually could see the Mamluk sultanates in Egypt and Delhi. In general Slave soldiers should be more of a threat (And a big military boon) for muslims. Imagine if Abbassids actually had trouble with turkish soldiers tearing the Caliphate apart.

What i would like to see is Mamluk Mercenaries (Or event troops) being available to Ghaznavids and other muslim invaders of india. Perhaps even event chain where Mamluks usurp the throne, so we actually could see the Mamluk sultanates in Egypt and Delhi. In general Slave soldiers should be more of a threat (And a big military boon) for muslims. Imagine if Abbassids actually had trouble with turkish soldiers tearing the Caliphate apart.

Mercenaries already can take your throne if you don't pay them.

Mercenaries already can take your throne if you don't pay them.
While i have seen some Mercenaries invade and win, i have never experienced any of the historical Slave soldier "Mercenaries" taking any land. And IRL if i recall correctly they mostly grabbed power peacefully when the old Sultan died, rather than issuing an invasion when not being paid.
Ghilmans and Mamluks where more of a retinue kind of army rather than Mercenaries. Sadly there are no mechanic for Retinues to go rogue though.

I did a Muslim invasion of India once. Started with Shaybanids who are vassals to Abbasids. Conquered Afghanistan and subsequently into Punjab and Sindh. After awhile, I raised levies of War Elephants, Camels and Horse Archers. Pretty cool.

Pretty much the only way it can be "Mughal", aye.

Not at all, while Babur(the first Mughal Emperor) was a descendant of Genghis Khan, he was born to an Islamic Persian-Turkish tribe in what is Uzbekistan today, which are represented by the Seluks in game even though there were a lot of different tribes within that territory. So a Seljuk->conquest of India is the true historically accurate path, which is also very viable in game. Start as 1 of the Seljuk counts/dukes rather than the Caliph for more realism and of course difficulty if you so choose, otherwise even the Caliph will do. Also, since we're talking about the Seljuks rather than Mongols you can start your game in 1066 at the earliest rather than the the Mongol bookmark, so you have nearly 200 more years of game play.

Not at all, while Babur(the first Mughal Emperor) was a descendant of Genghis Khan, he was born to an Islamic Persian-Turkish tribe in what is Uzbekistan today, which are represented by the Seluks in game even though there were a lot of different tribes within that territory. So a Seljuk->conquest of India is the true historically accurate path, which is also very viable in game. Start as 1 of the Seljuk counts/dukes rather than the Caliph for more realism and of course difficulty if you so choose, otherwise even the Caliph will do. Also, since we're talking about the Seljuks rather than Mongols you can start your game in 1066 at the earliest rather than the the Mongol bookmark, so you have nearly 200 more years of game play.

The Timurids were indeed culturally Islamic-Turkish, but the name "Mughal" is a corruption of "Mongol", so it makes little sense for them to be anything other than (at the very least) a descendant of the Mongols.

Ok, fine, since people are so fixated on the 'Mughal' part, I'm dropping it out. What I'm looking for is advice on creating a Muslim empire in India.

Ok, fine, since people are so fixated on the 'Mughal' part, I'm dropping it out. What I'm looking for is advice on creating a Muslim empire in India.

Ah, ok then :p.

Well, the easiest would be a Saffarid start, but a more fun one might be the Sindhi rulers in 769.

There's a massive Muslim empire in India in 1337 (Ghurid), if you want to be cheap.

If you want to actually build the empire, you could start as the Taghlibids in modern day Pakistan in the 769 start. If you bought the Charlemagne COAs pack, they even have their own custom COAs that is really fitting for Indian Muslims.

For the horde-culture I'd want to go with a Mongol or Turk, and the first seems to easy/late.

I imagine you could go east instead of west as the Seljuks.

The Yagbuids in 769 are also pretty strong. If you aren't unlucky then the abbasids will likely recede enough for you to conquer a lot of the steppes and Persia, giving you a good starting place for an invasion of India.

Since you need to be strong already to be able to successfully holy war in that hornet nest, it's likely that whatever path you take will lead you to India via Persia.

My advise still stands, Seljuks into India gives you a classic historical game and in the end you have a Muslim empire in India, regardless of whether you call it Mughal or not.

I personally find it more enjoyable to play as a Sindhi or Punjabi ruler when taking over the area. It's nice to change the religion of an area you invade, but embrace its culture.