Questions About WC, Coring Cost and Ideas

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I say this again: Move your capital to a European island that has NO straits: Gotland, Bornholm Malta, Sardinia, Cyprus; NOT Sicily. Moving your capital there will make coring 50% cheaper in non-European provinces.

You like single-province-islands, how about Great Britain? I hear it is rich, and it is not connected to the mainland?

Say you have 800 DIP. You strike peace deal for 400 or 600 DIP, preferably do it the same day against two or three opponents, so your total DIP costs would be like 1000, 1500 or even more (game check your current reserve when you send peace offer). Then, the same day you start culture convert everything in sight (building buildings works as well, but much more work for you) until your DIP points drop to little above zero. You unpause. Next day your enemies accept deals, but there is minimum cap on monarch points, so -100 is the worst you can get. Then you cancel culture conversions and other things so you retrieve your DIP points.
And that is it - you got 1000/1500 peace deal for actual 100 DIP cost

Although I agree that early game it is difficult/impossible to "store" hundreds of DIP points doing revocable works because of nationalism
Edit: and now I have just noted edit in previous post ...
This I consider too cheesy. I wouldn't want to use this.

Also, Orthodox Poland can stack stability cost reductions like crazy. NIs give -10%, Nieszawa Privileges give another -20%, Orthodox gives another -10%. Throw in Religious ideas and you're at -65%. You just need a couple more bonuses of that kind and you can truce-break at will, which I'd imagine is very powerful on a WC run.
I thought that you should always go against the nobles will, because of the terrible consequences.

Would you say that it's necessary to westernize as Poland for WC? Should I completely forget about buildings or do I build them at least in the capital which always reaps the full bonuses? I also thought that I'd go for as many military idea groups not because I need them, but because I won't have a sufficient amount of admin and diplo power to go for more than two groups of each. I don't see why Humanism is "so meh" seems like the most mandatory idea group for WC, why is it bad unless you play as the Ottomans? Europe is much smaller than Asia, isn't is easier to take care of religious rebels in Europe as opposed to Asia? Should I just ignore unaccepted cultures and let them be unaccepted? Innovative group seems so much better than DotF. It gives +5% tech as opposed to -5% which adds up, but the event's from this group are especially good. There's also monthly war exhaustion reduction that's 66% better than the one from DotF. And decreased advisor cost allowing to hire better ones earlier to get more points and field more troops. Not to mention free leader which is handy when fighting in all four directions. Apart from the stability costs and CBs that decrease diplo cost for deals the rest makes no sense :<. Oh and another question, Exploration or Expansion?

Unless I'm looking at it from the wrong perspective and stacking bonuses and being on time in terms of technology isn't as important as gaining additional utilities such as no diplo cost CBs and colonists. I think... I might wan to leave my capital in Warsaw for replaying sake :).

I don't see why Humanism is "so meh" seems like the most mandatory idea group for WC, why is it bad unless you play as the Ottomans?
The first item in the Religious Ideas group provides CBs allowing territorial transfer for zero DIP against all neighbouring heretics and heathens, and annexation for zero DIP against heathens, without requiring you to reach DIP tech 22 and without regard to what tech group they're in.

Compared to that, Humanism is... yeah, pretty "meh".

Reactions:
I'd say westernizing with Poland is certainly not mandatory, but its so easy that you should do it. For WC you don't need military ideas because you will have huge army. One military group that will massively help is Quantity. Another is Aristocratic, mostly for extra Diplomat.
Diplomatic idea is kind of mandatory, you will want at some point to do truce breaking. And its extremely useful group for many things.
Also Exploration > Expansion.

Influence can be extremely good for annexing big vassals to save diplo (and unjustified demands).
Religious has godly CB you can use very often and can save ton of diplo.

Admin and Humanism are also good picks if you want it.

I'd say westernizing with Poland is certainly not mandatory, but its so easy that you should do it.
It has been pointed out in other threads that unless you have a very strong, well thought-out plan that specifically requires protectorates or trade companies, westernizing with Poland or Muscovy in a game where you're expecting to take a lot of territory is a distinctly suboptimal choice.

I say this again: Move your capital to a European island that has NO straits: Gotland, Bornholm Malta, Sardinia, Cyprus; NOT Sicily. Moving your capital there will make coring 50% cheaper in non-European provinces.
You don't need to move to an island. If you don't have a land connection between your overseas provinces and your capital, everything will be half cost. So all you need is a vassal between your capital and your overseas land.

you only need to pay 100 (realistically, around 110) dip for any peace deal (or multiple peace deals, provided you can make them on the same day), no matter how many unjustified demand provinces you take, as long as any individual peace deal doesn't cost more than 999 DIP (its unlikely though, as you'd have to take more than 39 unjustified demanded provinces for yourself in a peace deal).

I absolutely could have done an HRE one-tag without deus vult, imperialism or expansion CBs, provided I had enough real life war exhaustion reduction (I probably don't, even with vassals to siege half the world for you, the last 40 years is absolute misery).
I'm absolutely sure that's only possible as HRE, because of the broken unlimited vassals and the ability to integrate them all without any dip cost.

If you plan on doing any one-tag that isn't HRE, dip points are rare, you'll spend tons and tons of it by integrating vassals.

Yes I've read you. I'm still thinking if it's cool or too cheesy for my taste.

Nobody answered my previous post :<. Would you say I should get claims on high BT provinces to reduce coring cost, but ignore rest to save time?
Yes and no. Always try to use your diplomats, claim the highest BT provinces first. But if possible, claim the low BT too. Don't forget to improve relations to have less nations in a coalition against you.

Would you say that it's necessary to westernize as Poland for WC? Should I completely forget about buildings or do I build them at least in the capital which always reaps the full bonuses? I also thought that I'd go for as many military idea groups not because I need them, but because I won't have a sufficient amount of admin and diplo power to go for more than two groups of each. I don't see why Humanism is "so meh" seems like the most mandatory idea group for WC, why is it bad unless you play as the Ottomans? Europe is much smaller than Asia, isn't is easier to take care of religious rebels in Europe as opposed to Asia? Should I just ignore unaccepted cultures and let them be unaccepted? Innovative group seems so much better than DotF. It gives +5% tech as opposed to -5% which adds up, but the event's from this group are especially good. There's also monthly war exhaustion reduction that's 66% better than the one from DotF. And decreased advisor cost allowing to hire better ones earlier to get more points and field more troops. Not to mention free leader which is handy when fighting in all four directions. Apart from the stability costs and CBs that decrease diplo cost for deals the rest makes no sense :<. Oh and another question, Exploration or Expansion?

Unless I'm looking at it from the wrong perspective and stacking bonuses and being on time in terms of technology isn't as important as gaining additional utilities such as no diplo cost CBs and colonists. I think... I might wan to leave my capital in Warsaw for replaying sake :).
No, as an eastern country, you don't need it. You can keep up on tech with the westerns and you will lose too many monarch points and time westernizing.

About buildings, you should build only when you have too many monarch points or when the bonuses are too good. Mostly only the 1000 ducats ones.

Humanist is good, but you want the Deus Vult CB. After that, if you want to convert your provinces, you need religious. Religious+Humanist is a bit too much. You can try to play without Religious, but I don't think it will be any easier.

Yes, you should let unaccepted culture be unaccepted. Once you have a continental country, it won't matter.

Innovative is good, but you need Administrative. Also, expansion is useless. The CB is good, but as long as you have Deus Vult, you don't need it. You need exploration to find those north american natives.

As I mentioned before, it all depends on which kind of WC you want to do. I'm answering as a one-tag or no protectorate WC. If you want to do a protectorate WC, disregard everything I said. You can do it with any nation and any idea groups you wish.

You like single-province-islands, how about Great Britain? I hear it is rich, and it is not connected to the mainland?
Great Britain and Ireland work too but as Poland a small island might be easier to conquer.

Will moving capital to an island to make everything else "overseas" be terrible for income/etc?
Yes and no. It depends on the island.

This information is also incorrect. Moving your capital to an island will make everything from ANOTHER continent become overseas. So, if you have your capital in London, Ile-de-France won't be overseas.

Like I mentioned before, you don't need to move your capital to an island. As long as you don't have land connection (or strait) between your provinces on another continent and your capital, they will be considered colonies, therefore half core cost.

So, DON'T MOVE YOUR CAPITAL TO AN ISLAND. All you need is another country (can be a vassal) between your capital and those provinces you want to core.

I said that it will make coring in Asia/Africa/Americas 50% chesper - how exactly is this false information? This exactly true because as Poland you cannot move your capital to another continent without some serious cheese.

Moving the capital to an island is my much better because you can integrate all vassals and note waste a diplo slot on the vassal that separates your capital from your other provinces.

Ahhhh ok I see. I could totally see the negative point cap being removed though, that is pretty cheesy.

Also, about overseas provinces providing very little manpower and tax - yeah even the richest provinces will only provide like 1 tax and 80 manpower or so, but if you already own your own continent, you hardly need that extra tax and manpower. If you really want to use that tax and manpower though, I recommend doing what ikkiks suggested and not move your capital to an European island. Instead, cut off direct land connection to overseas provinces with vassals/client states, and after expanding for a while, create some new vassals/client states on the edges of your empire to cut of provinces past that point, and annex the original vassals and rinse and repeat.

Instead, cut off direct land connection to overseas provinces with vassals/client states, and after expanding for a while, create some new vassals/client states on the edges of your empire to cut of provinces past that point, and annex the original vassals and rinse and repeat.
That's exactly the point. This way your previous overseas provinces will become provinces that now produce money and manpower.

For example, you're playing Ottomans. You have Persia as a vassal, so you can core India for half cost. After you're done with India, you vassalize Bengal to work as a barrier to China. Now you can integrate Persia and you'll have Persia+India as provinces not-overseas.

Ok, lots of good tips. What remains to be answered is: isn't every game a world conquest of sorts? Even if you plan on say playing Albania and go for all maritime ideas shouldn't your goal be to conquer as much you can even if it's not possible to completely take over ze waldo? Why else even play the game, unless you're going for a specific achievement. So apart from ideas what other differences are there between any other run and WC? Are there any?

I'm just trying to squeeze out the last bits of knowledge that might have been omitted or are so obvious no one mentioned them, even though I don't know them :<. Some AOW WC LP would be perfect whether written or in form of a video, so that I can study step by step the reasoning.

Some AOW WC LP would be perfect whether written or in form of a video, so that I can study step by step the reasoning.
I'm writing a WC AAR with the Veritas et Fortitudo mod. Feel free to join The Rise of the Turks. Using AoW and all other "big" DLCs.

Ok, lots of good tips. What remains to be answered is: isn't every game a world conquest of sorts? Even if you plan on say playing Albania and go for all maritime ideas shouldn't your goal be to conquer as much you can even if it's not possible to completely take over ze waldo? Why else even play the game, unless you're going for a specific achievement. So apart from ideas what other differences are there between any other run and WC? Are there any?
The critical differences between any other run and WC is that to get WC:
  • depending on what about the game entertains you, you may have to keep playing long past the point where you would normally get bored and start a new game.
  • you have to attack the countries that you would otherwise regard as too annoying to be worth your leisure time.
  • you have to be willing to countenance large-stabhit wars (e.g. truce-breaks).
  • you have to ruthlessly exploit the details of how coalitions work (where in a "normal" game you might just play in a way that minimizes your AE).

Uh not really. How you'll play and the idea groups you want are quite different between a regular blob as hard as I can and a WC. For example, if I'm playing a fun Prussia game, I'll probably take a bunch of military ideas and laugh as I crush the enemy. If I'm doing a WC, I wouldn't take a single military idea except maybe quantity. Or if I was playing in Asia, exploration would be the first idea group taken in a world conquest, but something totally different if it wasn't. Also in a WC, there are no allies. Only sacrificial pawns and enemies. Your also constantly at war in a WC. Especially if your breaking coalitions, or taking stab hits from breaking truces if you have to. I wouldn't do so in a regular game.

Also, I know it seems strange but some people don't want to play blob games, they go for tall empires, or peaceful trading/diplomatic games even outside of achievements.

the biggest obstacle to WCing as a major is real life war exhaustion.

I would never take a MIL idea first, ever. Mil points are too valuable early game especially if you are not western tech. As poland if you wanna avoid terrible revolts I'd definitely go Humanism AND religion. With those two ideas poland is in easy mode.

I'm not sure I would go ortho either. If you have religious ideas you should pretty easily get curia control after forming PLC if you stay catholic which is the best religious bonus in the game IMO.

Basically you just wanna be powerful enough that after you go absolute monarchy (around 1600 if i recall) you can just stomp the world.

I would never take a MIL idea first, ever. Mil points are too valuable early game especially if you are not western tech. As poland if you wanna avoid terrible revolts I'd definitely go Humanism AND religion. With those two ideas poland is in easy mode.

I'm not sure I would go ortho either. If you have religious ideas you should pretty easily get curia control after forming PLC if you stay catholic which is the best religious bonus in the game IMO.

Basically you just wanna be powerful enough that after you go absolute monarchy (around 1600 if i recall) you can just stomp the world.
???Curia control? Please, even Spain has a tough time getting curia control. Its such a crapshoot. And you can't even be the last catholic nation left in Europe unless you somehow make the Pope not catholic or ARE the Pope. The best thing from Catholicism is free stab every few years. And I think the MMTH of cardinal exposed events decreases the more nations you border or just has more chances to fire, so you will never have more than 4 or 5 cardinals anyways.