• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

KiriKaneko

Private
Nov 4, 2014
I recently decided to try a muslim ruler to get an insight into how things went over there

Thing is, I went into CK2 knowing what a catholic ruler was supposed to do. They try to get a crown and unite the realm, uniting the Empire is optional, and then they go around fighting infidels and uniting new kingdoms through marriage alliances

I don't know what muslims are supposed to do though. Their rulers don't seem like feudal lords, having a focus on family honour and religion. Is it like being a daimyo? What exactly is it that as a muslim ruler I'm supposed to be accomplishing. It would be simple if all I had to do was follow the religious laws but it seems the laws of Islam are very much open to interpretation with everyone saying their interpretation is correct and the others aren't proper muslims but there must have been a prevailing set off values that sunni muslims follower at the time. Like modern catholicism is very much different from medieval catholicism, and modern catholics disagree with the practices of medieval catholics like for instance witch burning and crusading

Also I'm playing in Old Gods so its what they believed back at that time

Like, from a gameplay or RP perspective?

For gameplay: It's a much more paint-the-map strategy. Basically, you need to keep conquering/building so that your sons are all landed and thus are less likely to cause a decadence build-up.

There's a lot more family management for Muslims too; actively managing decadence and marriages and claims, so that your realm is growing and your family has land to rule. There's two primary strategies for Muslims: Land all your sons, or land none of them (Giving a mosque holding to the son you want to inherit [Agnatic Open is an incredibly powerful succession]).

From an RP perspective: Give more credence to the Holy Land, and to Holy Warring in general; the idea of struggling against oppression (From non-Islams to heretical Islam). Aim to control the Holy Land, to declare yourself a Caliph (It's fun to go Shiite or Ibadi, conquer Mecca, and declare yourself Caliph), and then to unite the Dar-al-Islam (Morocco -> Indus River [Modern Pakistan]).

ok so... I need to become a Caliph... and then unite the old islamic empire?

Sadly I don't have raja of india so I cant go to Pakistan, I will leave Pakistan out

Do I just ignore Europe and Russia, and fight off their Holy Wars? What shall I do with Spain and the territories in Greece and Italy that are Sunni? The Turks invaded the Byzantine Empire eventually, but what was the point in that? Is that something I should be doing?

By the way... slightly different question... is it possible to destroy a reformed faith or turn it into unreformed? What happens if their moral authority gets very low... like all the holy sites are held by one religion and they've lost a ton of holy wars?

By the way... slightly different question... is it possible to destroy a reformed faith or turn it into unreformed? What happens if their moral authority gets very low... like all the holy sites are held by one religion and they've lost a ton of holy wars?

The religion will remain Reformed. If it breaks enough the center likely won't hold the faith will collapse. There is however no Heresies for Reformed faiths.

The religion will remain Reformed. If it breaks enough the center likely won't hold the faith will collapse. There is however no Heresies for Reformed faiths.
The old version of itself is considered a heresy. I'm not sure what happens if the reformed are outnumbered by the old although. Anyone know for sure if the heresy can overtake its reformed orthodox for pagans?

ok so... I need to become a Caliph... and then unite the old islamic empire?

Sadly I don't have raja of india so I cant go to Pakistan, I will leave Pakistan out

Do I just ignore Europe and Russia, and fight off their Holy Wars? What shall I do with Spain and the territories in Greece and Italy that are Sunni? The Turks invaded the Byzantine Empire eventually, but what was the point in that? Is that something I should be doing?

You should be doing what you want to :). Thats the point of Ck2. if you want to 'Spread the Faith" to the Balkans, fight the infidels whereever they are, go ahead .

As a muslim ruler your purpose is to die in the name of (the) christ/mazda/perun/tngri/oðin/perun/ukko/perkunas/huitzilopochtli/zun/saturn/zurvan/shiva/shakti/tirthankaras/boddhisattvas. ;)

Thing is, I went into CK2 knowing what a catholic ruler was supposed to do. They try to get a crown and unite the realm, uniting the Empire is optional, and then they go around fighting infidels and uniting new kingdoms through marriage alliances

That is just as applicable with Muslims. The only difference is that you're in agnatic succession, so you can't just marry your son to a princess who's 8th in line to throne and then murder the seven people ahead of her. You marry for claims and then press them in the next generation, long term planning style.

Like, from a gameplay or RP perspective?

For gameplay: It's a much more paint-the-map strategy. Basically, you need to keep conquering/building so that your sons are all landed and thus are less likely to cause a decadence build-up.
This is pretty much the worst recommendation to a muslim from a gameplay perspective.
It is absurdly easy to stay at 0 decadence by never landing any sons, except the one you want as your heir.

There's a lot more family management for Muslims too; actively managing decadence and marriages and claims, so that your realm is growing and your family has land to rule. There's two primary strategies for Muslims: Land all your sons, or land none of them (Giving a mosque holding to the son you want to inherit [Agnatic Open is an incredibly powerful succession]).
The second option is pretty much the only viable one, otherwise your empire will eventually collapse due to obscene decadence.

From an RP perspective: Give more credence to the Holy Land, and to Holy Warring in general; the idea of struggling against oppression (From non-Islams to heretical Islam). Aim to control the Holy Land, to declare yourself a Caliph (It's fun to go Shiite or Ibadi, conquer Mecca, and declare yourself Caliph), and then to unite the Dar-al-Islam (Morocco -> Indus River [Modern Pakistan]).
100% this from RP perspective.
Unite the 'Ummah'.