• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

21oliver

Field Marshal
17 Badges
Jun 8, 2010
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
Never did it much and its been ages...anyone mind a brief step by step description. Anything other then 1) be allied and 2) transport the units to the nation you want to give them to?

TY

Well, if you're the one giving the expeditionary forces, you simply need 1 diplomacy point, and then go to the diplomacy screen and click on the expeditionary force option - it'll show all your units (the OOB will be present so it shouldn't be too hard to find what you want). Then once you've picked the right unit, you hit accept, and your ally will either accept or deny your expeditionary force. I *assume* it's helpful if the unit is already in allied territory. Then it's out of your hands, they supply and reinforce it as if t were their own unit, however, it will maintain whatever leader you put on it. It's typically not all that useful unless you're a minor who wants to drop some units on a major to help out - but generally I'd assume it's suggested you maintain control of them because the AI can be prone to do odd things and you can actively help it out lol. Early on in Hoi3 and especially in some versions of Hoi2, your allies would *constantly* give you expeditionary forces whose pop ups and resource draining capacities served to annoy many a gamer - it's quite a lot rarer in TFH I've found.

most of the time the AI doesn't even accept it, even when they really need the extra forces. Germany knocking on the doorsteps of paris apperently isn't enough for the french AI to accept whatever units it gets offered by the player. :p

I plan on tag switching to ensure they accept, i did that in the past but couldnt remember if there were any other mechanics i forgot. Its simply a different way to play is all, just want to try something different. Thx guys

A super-annoying feature is that when returning the units, you have to do it one-by-one. You can send a entire Army Group just by clicking on the AG HQ but when you return it, doing the same returns merely the AG HQ unit and none of the subordinates.

I found it out the hard way. I wanted to create the historical Romanian and Hungarian armies on the Eastern front. Well, I needed five ROM/HUN divisions in a single province or otherwise the SOV would just roll over them. And in a month their presence overloaded the supply system and I started suffering from oos - so I decided to return them. If I hadn't built GAR/MIL for guarding ports, I could've used them there but oh well.

*sometimes* something I can get to work is you just create a new Theater HQ, assign it to a string of provinces near to your ally, and then just give it strategic markers as if you were controlling the pertinent AI. You still have to pay for them, but it saves the hassle of the AI not typically accepting, or if you ever want to get them back in a quick and easy way. That is of course if you're not intending to dispossess your AI allies via expeditionary forces ;) I tend to opt for the above method when playing as Comm Chi - because there's basically no scenario where getting my army back when I need them (to fight Japan) can be done is as timely a manner. The AI theater I stick in former Sinkiang and give markers on Soviet cities seems to do a fairly decent job of just pretending they're Soviet AI troops.