• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have been thinking of this: at first, the alien forces drop on a province, and immediately start expanding, conquering at an extremely fast rate, to represent their technological superiority, all the while more aliens keep arriving, reinforcing the invasion. But after a week or so, they start to slow down, so to consolidate their gains, although they keep expanding.

Here's an example: the aliens drop on Moscow (sorry) and take the city in a matter or hours, decapitating the Soviet leadership. Then, in only some two or three days, they have already taken all of European Russia, Poland and some parts of Siberia, taking everyone unprepared. Then they come in shock with the German forces, which provide some though resistance, although the aliens are able to eventually take Germany. Meanwhile, the last piece of land of the SU has fallen in the east. But the Germans have dealt some considerable damage on the alien war machines, so relocation of the troops is needed. And this all was in a single week. But now they start to slow down a bit, because their reinforcements have finally stopped arriving from the ships in orbit (yes, they were raining aliens). The entire world is in shocked by how two superpowers (SU and Germany) fell so quickly, and start to mount a resistance.

What do you think?

It depends upon where they’ve come from and, as ObsessedNuker pointed out, what their plan for humanity is.

If they’re from Mars ala H. G. Wells, then OK, Moscow, Southern England, wherever. From what I can remember of H. G Wells’ book, the plan was to take out/cripple the only superpower (“last years of the nineteenth century”) and consolidate the British Isles prior to full occupation. Mankind was, essentially, a food resource but there were other such resources that would serve just as well and be a lot less belligerent/troublesome so… extermination would be the goal there.

If they’re from farther afield, and they have the tech’ to move large objects over large distances (and I mean really REALLY HUGE distances) they could use mass-drivers and take-out all major cities by throwing rocks at us. A buss-sized asteroid (traveling at 30,000 mph) would put a hole in the ground a couple of miles across. No radiation or radioactive fallout and the only “collateral damage” to the planet’s eco system from a few dozen hits would be some unusually chilly winters.

Land & mop-up. Which is where the fun starts. They have limited resources and a very low manpower (alienpower/xenopower?) cap. Reinforcements beyond the initial will be none-existent.

Maybe they have to use robots to do their fighting to conserve xenopower. And need to build manufacturing plant & resource extractors first. Human tech’ levels don’t provide the capability to produce the materials they use yet. Just imagine trying to build a modern tank or aircraft 60 years ago. Even knowing exactly how to do it, you wouldn’t be able to. Not even close.

So they may be limited to a few “elite” units and some cobbled together human-tech kit (with enhancements of course that gets better very quickly) that they can start building once they’ve consolidated a resource-rich area.

What would be fun in an "alien invasion during WWII" context would be deciding whether to keep fighting against the other humans, or helping to stave off the alien invasion. Maybe you're being hit hard by Martians, but also by the one or more of the nations you're at war with, so that you have to wrestle with both at the same time.

What would be fun in an "alien invasion during WWII" context would be deciding whether to keep fighting against the other humans, or helping to stave off the alien invasion. Maybe you're being hit hard by Martians, but also by the one or more of the nations you're at war with, so that you have to wrestle with both at the same time.

It would be nice if there was an event that would give you the opportunity to peace out everyone so you can focus on the aliens.

If they’re from farther afield, and they have the tech’ to move large objects over large distances (and I mean really REALLY HUGE distances) they could use mass-drivers and take-out all major cities by throwing rocks at us. A buss-sized asteroid (traveling at 30,000 mph) would put a hole in the ground a couple of miles across. No radiation or radioactive fallout and the only “collateral damage” to the planet’s eco system from a few dozen hits would be some unusually chilly winters.

Why do humans always think killing humans is the most efficient way to kill humans?

Simply poison the seas by introducing a pathogen (or poisonous plankton predator) or a toxin, then let humans kill themselves from wars for the last food sources.
Kill humans and they become aware, defend themself and start fucking even more.
Destroy the habitat and they won't care until it's too late.

Could not resist.

Alien-invasion_zpsw1kkaoun.png

Reactions:
Why do humans always think killing humans is the most efficient way to kill humans?

Simply poison the seas by introducing a pathogen (or poisonous plankton predator) or a toxin, then let humans kill themselves from wars for the last food sources.
Kill humans and they become aware, defend themself and start fucking even more.
Destroy the habitat and they won't care until it's too late.

Everyone knows it's not efficient, but it's both impossible to predict the modus operandi of an alien race, and a whole lot more fun to assume they'd invade. The entire genre of invasion themed novels would be terribly boring if aliens followed the best paths available to conquer the world.

I just want the system from HOI2 where the aliens would invade a single random province on earth and declare war on everybody. I think there was a peace between anyone at war then. The aliens have the best tech in the game and instead of building units, they receive free units over time so you have to defeat them quickly or they just slowly overrun everything.

download.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I just want the system from HOI2 where the aliens would invade a single random province on earth and declare war on everybody. I think there was a peace between anyone at war then. The aliens have the best tech in the game and instead of building units, they receive free units over time so you have to defeat them quickly or they just slowly overrun everything.

That was fun for about 10 seconds before your realised there was nothing really behind it. I want something more like when the Mongols show up in CK2 - something a bit more fleshed out and thought through. Would buy a DLC themed around this.

The Americas have to be invaded. Too long have they sat comfortably across the ocean, out of harm's way. I for one welcome our new alien overlords.
Join my reptilian agenda. Of course if you are human you might one day become food for us reptiles but until then you will have a great time.

Wait back up...

HoI2 had an alien invasion scenario!?

I had HoI2 with Doomsday and Armageddon (I think, it's been a while, I at least had all the Paradox made expansions, but not the fan ones that Paradox later endorsed). Where did the alien invasions come from?

Wait back up...

I had HoI2 with Doomsday and Armageddon (I think, it's been a while, I at least had all the Paradox made expansions, but not the fan ones that Paradox later endorsed). Where did the alien invasions come from?

You have to enter a code and a province number in the code entering box during a regular game. They start with the government type of the province owner, start at war with the owner, no leaders, and (I believe) the war fighting AI of the province owner. Not the best way to do it and if you want a global war with them you'll need to switch to them and DOW everyone else.

Wait back up...

What Dinglehoff said. It was lame, I think it was just put in as an easter-egg and wasn't meant as a full scenario.

What Dinglehoff said. It was lame, I think it was just put in as an easter-egg and wasn't meant as a full scenario.
It would have been more fun if they had been more developed. Leaders and a set government type at least. Would a paragraph of origin story or a couple of events to get things going have been too much?

But more could have been done to make it better.

Don't get me wrong, I want an Alien Invasion DLC. Ideally one based on the original War of the Worlds, which goes off-copyright at the end of 2016.