• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Unfaced

Sergeant
126 Badges
Jan 12, 2015
www.starcitizen.at
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis IV
Hi there,

I am fairly new here as CK2 player, but since I enjoyed EU4 I bought CK2 (with all major dlc... no unit packs tough) on the last Sale.

so I was starting as Count of Desmond in Ireland, because I heard a lot that should be the easiest place for new players. So far it went well, I was starting in 867 as Chief of my Tribe and everybody loved me.... I expanded and found the duchy of Munster and I had 3 provinces under direct control (Desmond, Thormond, Ossoroy), with a 4th as vassal (Ormond).

My Bishops liked me, I got levy and taxes from them, also the Count of Ormond liked me so far. After I expanded to these 4 provinces, as Duke of Munster, I converted from Tribe to Feudal System, so My Capital got upgraded to a Castle. So after 2-3 Years, I was in a phase of regeneration, suddenly the Catahrian Uprise with 3000 Man happend in Thormond.... I did not realise the County was not Catholic, since the Bishop there was Catholic.... So since I only had around 600 Men left, I reloaded a few times, only to find out I have to put my Cleric in that County...but they never got converted in the following years.... at least there was no uprising, so I could live with it.

And then it happened.... My Character dies of old age - which does not seem to bad - at the first moment...
My Eldest sun got to be Duke of Munster and Earl of Desmond - my other 2 Titles, Chief of Thormond and Chief of Ossoroy got to my second and third Son....

And nobody in my Court likes me anymore.... not my brothers as vassal, not my bishops, not my council, .... MY court is around 40 people, and only 2 of them like me (end they are in no position where it matters).... So I got rebel uprisings, got declared war on....with only 300 Men or so against an 2-5k Army....

So I quit yesterday, being frustrated...

Have you some advice for me how to prevent that my whole court dislikes me after my char died? This is my main problem, as I do not get any taxes, cannot afford mercanaries, do not get any levy..... Also my heir has no skills except marshal 10.... but as my heir was already 35 I could not educate him at the beginning of the game...

Also it seems that I was not able to change succession law to an other kind instead of grevelkind.... which I do not like at all...

I watched Arumba's whole tutorial game series, but that was before tribes and the newer dlc stuff was there.... So it helped, but not with these problems... Arumba also started as Count of Desmond - that's why I tried that too...

Thank you,
br Alex :)

Being a tribe is completely different from being a feudal lord. For one you probably shouldn't convert to feudalism so fast as you will have a lot less troops for a long while. With a new ruler you will always get the short reign penalty, so be prepared to be hated on at the start of your new reign. But as a tribal lord you will be able to raise more troops to beat your brothers into submission and reclaim your rightful lands. Just plan ahead when your character becomes old.

If you are new to the game you maybe like playing Desmond in 1066 better. Everything is feudal so you get to keep what you conquer (not restricted to Gavelkind anymore) and you don't have to make the switch. The problem with 867 are also the Viking raids. If you are set on 867 try some inland count in continental Europe, maybe something bordering Muslims/Slavs/Norse so you still get to expand even if your Liege gets up the Crown Authority.

867 Ireland is not easy mode. Even had you survived past the death of your first Duke, odds are good you would have been invaded by the Vikings, and there would have been very little chance of survival, unless your new King happened to be a military genius. And even then, slim chances at best. (My favorite story to tell is about my military genius ruler who died on the last day of the last battle against the Viking invaders, defeating them despite fearsome odds. But it usually doesn't work out that way.) 1066 Ireland is much, much easier. And let nobody tell you there is shame in starting easy. Just, if you do 1066, do not form the Kingdom if you happen to manage to gain enough territory to do so until you have changed your ducal title inheritance laws to primogeniture. Then your Kingdom will inherit primogeniture succession. Otherwise you have to spend four generations upping your crown authority until you can implement primogeniture. Primo, while not well-liked by many on these forums is still leagues better than gavelkind, unless you can manage to keep yourself to one son. (A good relation with the pope and a divorce from your fertile wife after you have a son, and marrying a barren (read: old) or celibate one would be a good idea in gavelkind.)

Thank you for the replies...

So I see I made a few errors - but that's ok, since I am new to the game.
I will restart with 1066 in Desmond, so let's see what is happening there :) I will keep that primogeniture law in mind, thank you General Karthos.
Also I did not know the tribes system really, since the tutorials I saw were not covering them - so thanks for all the info. I will try this weekend a new start.

Thanks,
br Alex

Desmond is not independent in 1066, rather a vassal of Munster. For an easy Irish start I would recommend Munster.

Actually it is independent. Trouble is that you will likely get vassalised by the duke of Munster.

Course that doesn't have to be the end. :happy:

I did a game today starting 1066 as Duke of Munster - and I managed to do well... noch around 55 Years Later, I had created the Kingdom of Ireland...

Just a small question remains, though.... why does the Game not remember my renaming of some titles?

The Duchy of Munster is founded as Duchy of Mumu..... so I renamed it to Munster, but it did not recognize it.... also the kingdom of Ireland is called Eire per default.... are these the historic correct names?

thanks,
br Alex

I did a game today starting 1066 as Duke of Munster - and I managed to do well... noch around 55 Years Later, I had created the Kingdom of Ireland...

Just a small question remains, though.... why does the Game not remember my renaming of some titles?

The Duchy of Munster is founded as Duchy of Mumu..... so I renamed it to Munster, but it did not recognize it.... also the kingdom of Ireland is called Eire per default.... are these the historic correct names?

thanks,
br Alex

The title name can be changed depending on the culture as of more recent versions depending on the culture of the person who holds the title, and there's Irish localisation for these and other titles. Both are right for the era. (Though the game is finicky on title name changes: it can have pretty much no effect. I don't know the specifics)

Mumu is not the spelling nowadays, but that's not relevant.

I THINK, and I may be wrong about this, that you can only rename your top title. (Possibly so that people don't rename the duchy of someone they don't like to, for example, the Duchy of A**holeton.) Duke Connochbar of A**holeton.