• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yet another addition, when I spoke that Finnish surnames are from the early modern period I ignored the late medieval frälse families, mostly because many of those use Swedish surnames although some names are variants of Finnish names, like Carpelan (Karpelainen). Some examples of the old frälse families are Tavast, Kurki, Creutz, Fleming and Horn. Some of the surnames exist already in the medieval sources while others are mentioned first time in the 16th century texts (even though the families can be traced back to 14th or 15th century). For example surname Kurki is mentioned in several late medieval letters and documents and it's one of the earliest know Finnish surnames.

If you want to pick on of those names, then let me suggest House of Starck:

http://www.ritarihuone.fi/svenska/atter_och_vapen/view-63454-2813?offset-63454=20&left-63454=s

Last edited:
Many of the medieval "Finnish" names are just Swedish names so wouldn't really be appropriate for a Finnish cultured empire.

On a related note, it's pretty annoying that the Finnish dynasty names in EUIV appear to be Swedish. Although I did manage to get a Väinämöinen von Hohenzollern as the king of Finland which was pretty awesome.

Many of the medieval "Finnish" names are just Swedish names so wouldn't really be appropriate for a Finnish cultured empire.

On a related note, it's pretty annoying that the Finnish dynasty names in EUIV appear to be Swedish. Although I did manage to get a Väinämöinen von Hohenzollern as the king of Finland which was pretty awesome.

I certainly wouldn't want any peasant surnames as name of the royal dynasty in EUIV. Some of the names are all right, because those are names of the Finnish noble houses during that era. Others are names of Swedish families whose members had important role in Finnish politics during this era. However I find the choice of the names rather interesting, because some of those families were really important, but there are couple of families whose landownings in Finland were rather insignificant.

I certainly wouldn't want any peasant surnames as name of the royal dynasty in EUIV. Some of the names are all right, because those are names of the Finnish noble houses during that era. Others are names of Swedish families whose members had important role in Finnish politics during this era. However I find the choice of the names rather interesting, because some of those families were really important, but there are couple of families whose landownings in Finland were rather insignificant.

Maybe so in EUIV (though still annoying) but those Swedish names are really inappropriate when in CK2 you can have a Finnish kingdom/empire that has never been conquered by Swedes.

I've used Valkea. Because Väinö Valkea sounds nice.

All my kings tend to be nicknamed Sword of Perkele, though.

Maybe so in EUIV (though still annoying) but those Swedish names are really inappropriate when in CK2 you can have a Finnish kingdom/empire that has never been conquered by Swedes.

If you want old Finnish surnames then you could go with ones which end to suffix -nen. Those exist already in late medieval documents, although there's no proof that those names were hereditary before the 16th century. Or alternatively you can use name based on patronym or location. However those are names of the common folk and while there's nothing wrong with that, the late medieval and early modern Finnish frälse preferred Swedish surnames. So, there's no perfect solution if you want to have medieval Finnish names.

If it's inspiration you're looking for here's a nifty page: http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suomen_muinaisnimet

Those seem pretty legit. I'm using the term "seem" because of the obvious lack of proper sources on many of those lists.

Still, that's something to mull over and draw some ancestral inspiration from.

Oh and a tidbit about suffixes: I've heard that the "-la" suffix in finnish language means "place of-". So ironically the word "Jumala" means "Place of God/Gods". Jumi/Jumal would be the "correct" term for the entity itself.

Petrus Kakuwalde/Kaikewalde could be translated to Petrus Kaukovalta/Kaikkivalta. That's a pretty badass name for a preacher.

Last edited: