• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Trexeth

Banned
4 Badges
Dec 27, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
Common paradox, Province system is 20 years old, and much better systems can be implemented than dividing the whole map into province.

Divide the whole map into small hexagons, in which there are cities and stuff.
civ.v.02.lg.jpg

The main idea is: Remove all provinces from the map, divide the map into small hexagons. Create cities in some hexagons, lives other empty.
Benefits:
Army movement more detailed, more strategy and tactic and terrain usage (each hexagon has terrain type attached: hills, forest etc).
Much more realistic.
Gives possibility to rework fog of war, make it more dynamic.
With hexagon system you can Create and Destroy cities. (Destroy on conquest only).
Bigger is the distance between cities in terms of hexagons, more bandits are there and it is less safe.

(There are a lot of gameplay opportunities by introducing hexagons, just think!!!!)

Hexagons are great for turn-based strategy/tactics games (my preferred form of map for that form of game), but for something that's real-time, a la PDS' titles, I think either provinces or even (in the future) no 'provinces' at all, but rather everything just being on one contiguous map, where units within a certain proximity can attack each other or not (it's in real-time, so there's no real need to 'compartmentalise' the map, and they're not board games). That said, there'd be some decent game design challenges to making a 'one big map with no provinces/hexes' approach work, but I reckon it'd be possible.

hexagonal maps are generally best when used for scenarios that don't require any level of historical accuracy. with the PDS library, all the games need the accurate/near-accurate provincial system. though the contiguous map would be pretty revolutionary- especially for CK and EU where borders are much more dynamic.

Those hexagons feel as artificial as African country borders.
THIS. Sorry, but with hexagons we wouldn't ever be able to make any beautiful looking borders in mods. Take a look at a real world map. Do you see any hexagons there?

Not really something i would like, some reasons for why: Disadvantages:
  • Army movement less detailed, bad terrain limitation and less strategic (each hexagon would imply vaster stretches of land and easier to avoid AI)
  • Much less realistic (provinces where not hexagons back then and the frontieer needs to be somewhere)
  • Problematic with the fog of war, both would conflict and it would be hard to set the limit
  • How will it model cities? One city per hexagon? Hexagons without cities?
  • Smaller is the distance between cities in terms of hexagons as it would performance-wise be incredibly hard to handle otherways
  • Conquest less realistical & less strategical
  • Old maptype, Paradox one is a lot more recent
Conclusion: Perhaps for another kind of games?

But common, you can say that moving from provinc to province is realistic??????????????
What about terrain?? The province consists from a lot of different terrain types, but u cant use them with "provinces" system.

Army movement in current PDS games for me is absolutely wierd. From proving to province, directly.

What a about roads and trade routes??????? much easier to do when you have smaller pieces.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe we should leave the provinces system there, but still divide the map in smaller parts (hexagons or circles, whatever), so we can have more details on the map.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe we should leave the provinces system there, but still divide the map in smaller parts (hexagons or circles, whatever), so we can have more details on the map.
This would be OK, or dynamic borders that you can redraw ingame, with cities somewhere on the province.

Last edited:
Yeah.... no.

Hexagons do not mesh well with the hard core of fans wanting nice, historical borders. A map made of of hexagons would look unhistorical (something Civ does not cear much about) and quite frankly ugly, no matter what benefits they may have.

hexagonal maps are generally best when used for scenarios that don't require any level of historical accuracy. with the PDS library, all the games need the accurate/near-accurate provincial system. though the contiguous map would be pretty revolutionary- especially for CK and EU where borders are much more dynamic.

This is also a great point - the provinces can be drawn to best represent the way areas were used during the period in question :). If PDS made a hex-based game, I'd almost definitely play it (OK, maybe not if the made 'Barbie Horse Adventures the GSG', but almost anything else ;)), but I reckon their current main type of games are better suited by provinces.

@ Trexeth - nothing wrong with suggesting it, it's all just opinions, and you never know, yours might be right :).

No.

I can understand the feeling. Making borders more dynamic and fluid would be great, and if the 'provinces' could be dropped for something like an 'area of influence', with armies freely moving on the map, that would be great.

Hexagones are just another type of provinces, though, and they don't really fit 'real-time' (as opposed to turn-based) games.

Nope. Realistic looking province borders are too important to these games. I want to fight a war for the Franche-Comte, not 2 hexs on the border of the HRE.

If Pdox were ever to leave the current province system, I'd go for a no-provinces contiguous map, rather than hex. Or perhaps a hybrid system, where combat takes place on a contiguous map, but land still is divided into provinces for ownership purposes and the in-game economy/religion/tech/etc..

I can wrote a very long answer about why I dont want the hexagon system so I will keep it short.

NO !!!

We love PDS titles how they made it.Of course we would like to see improvements but not game changing things.Just look at lastest Total War games and how CA ruined its flagship series into arcade game.None of us would like to see that happening to PDS.