• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm enjoying this AAR. Keep up the good work!

Also, did those missionaries just arrive by chance or is there something you did to lure them over. I've got a Rus game going, and it sure would be nice to convert, as my chances of reforming the Slavic faith are nil.

Great! Primogeniture! Such a relief to get into that realm law.

metalinvader665 - Thanks! Sweden is divided between pagan Suomi and Uppland, and Catholic Sweden.

Idhrendur - Thanks! The missionaries are a random event that pops up now and then, I did nothing to invite them.

Ben Kenobi - Yay! Primo is great! Division of titles are just sooooo 600s.:p

teotl - No conversion to EU4 planned, but never say never! :)

Crimson Drakon - Yeah, when I saw it I got very, very happy.:D As for the pagans... A new update is coming later tonight! ;)

Kjartan I
(977-985)

kjartan1.png

Kjartan I’s reign was compared to his predecessor a mediocre one. He did have his successes, but they were small and costly for the realm, and while having a promising start, he died before he could do any big deeds.

Family
Kjartan was married to Hafrid, a daughter of a local noble. He had only one trueborn son, who would later inherit the throne. His children was as follows:

Gyla
Ingrid
Cecilia
Ivar

He also had one astard son:
Bersi

His reign
Kjartan did not make it easy for himself when he took over the throne. His first act was to increase the crown authority, centralizing the power further in his hands. This led to some resentment, but no immediate turmoil.

A year into his reign, the mighty pagan kingdom of Jylland declared war to claim the last Norwegian holding in Skåne. Determined to turn the last two generations’ tide of losses in the south, he gathered his host and hired a mercenary company. The two armies met in Skåne, and the Norwegian army won a devastating victory. Kjartan quickly accepted the Jyllander king’s terms for a white peace, only to send a declaration of war back to the fear stricken enemy king, demanding the whole of Skåne back under the terms of holy war.

In the meantime, the king of Sweden, as Svithjod now styled itself, begged for help against the Suomi heathens. While the official policy for the last couple generations had been to heed these calls from the brother kingdom, and keep a defensive line, Suomi was now huge and Kjartan had a war to fight in the south, and he feared this endeavour could be compromised if a stray Suomi army came his way. He therefore turned down his kinsman’s desperate plight.

In the middle of the Jyllander war, the heathen Sumonesko rebelled in Finnmark. Months later the war for Skåne was won, but the cost had been great monetarily, and while the mercenaries had been let go, the crown was in debt, making the morale among Kjartan’s troops poor. He therefore had to let the Suomonesko revolt fester for a few months. During this time the Suomonsko rebels took control of all of Norway down to Trondheim, but by then the crown’s finances were in better shape and the poorly organized rebels were soundly crushed and sent fleeing back to Finnmark, where they were slaughtered to the last man, making an example for future rebels.

In early 982, the jarl of Jamtaland was discovered to plot for a claim on the Norwegian throne. Deeply disturbed by this, Kjartan had little time to ponder on the matter, as months later Folki of Hordaland, the pretender Haraldr’s son, declared war for the Norwegian throne himself. Only two months later, Jylland declared war for the province of Burgundaholmr in Skåne. Only two months after this, while Kjartan’s forces were battling the pretender forces, a peasant revolt happened in Trøndelag. Not daring to fight a three way war, Kjartan let his kinsman escape with only a white peace, so he could focus on the peasant rebels.

Unable to meet the Jyllander army directly, Kjartan hoped his allies in Britain and continental Europe would heed his call to arms. Thankfully they did, but it would take some time before their forces would arrive. Kjartan therefore went to Trøndelag with his army, meeting the peasant rabble. In close combat with the rebel leader, a lucky axe maimed him and cost him an arm. The wound festered and a month later he died in agony. The realm was now in the hands of his only trueborn son, a three year old boy.

startivar1.png

Norgesveldet at the ascension of Ivar I.

Aftermath
Kjartan I did well enough in his short reign, but died before he could make any big mark on the history of Norway. He is such not very well remembered by the modern Norwegian populace. If he is known to a Norwegian today, it is rather as the father of the unfortunate Ivar I.

Kjartan's reign sounds like a wobbly bike: it never tipped over, but it also never got up enough speed to start going forward smoothly.

Kjartan ... If he is known to a Norwegian today, it is rather as the father of the unfortunate Ivar I.

And this makes it clear that things are only going to get worse for the next realm. Ah, poor Norway. :)

Why do I get the feeling that Ivar I won't even live to take over the crown? A three year old in a nation surrounded by enemies from both outside and within just couldn't do well unless he has a godlike regency.

Probably time to link up the rest of your realm with Skåne. Or at least when you get a decent leader and some stability.

How many missionaries have you sent to that impressive Finnish Empire?

Stuyvesant - yeah, it had promise, but it ended too soon...

Blklzard - my mouth is sealed with seven leaking seals. ;)

Metalinvader - eh... I can send missionaries? I thought it was a random event. Do not expect me to do that the next couple reigns, which are all played out. :p

Stuyvesant - yeah, it had promise, but it ended too soon...

Blklzard - my mouth is sealed with seven leaking seals. ;)

Metalinvader - eh... I can send missionaries? I thought it was a random event. Do not expect me to do that the next couple reigns, which are all played out. :p

That's a shame. But if you don't know now, you just put your court chaplain (or imam for Muslims) in the capital of a nearby (unreformed) pagan country and they'll get to work. Most times they just get thrown in jail, but sometimes it works out and they'll convert.

As many others have said, the pat few decades have seen lots of solid groundwork for future expansion. Sweden under Norse hegemony would be good to see – and then, of course, you would have a brilliant springboard from which to launch an assault on the heathen Finns.

In the meantime, I do hope England gets its act together and forms/expands to its natural borders.

metalinvader - Yep, but it also made for a challenging couple of rules! ;) I've made use of the strategy later on however, thanks for the heads up!

Densley - Well. England has not got together just yet, but don't give up hope just yet.:p

Crimson Drakon - Judge for yourself, the next update is coming up in a minute!

Zzzz... - Yeah, that made for some challenges, as you will see.:D

Me0334 - Difficult is my middle name!

Ivar I
(985-992)
(first reign)

ivar1.png

The first reign of Ivar I was a tumultuous time for Norway. Almost all of his reign embroiled in civil war, the child king was doomed from the start.

His reign
The little three year old king’s first two years on the throne were comparably peaceful ones. His uncle the bastard Olafr was appointed regent, only to be deposed within months by the young king’s mother. The same year of his ascension, settlers from Norway are reported to have reached Greenland. Central control of these colonies are practically non existant though.

The war with Jylland which Ivar inherited from his father were two years later still not decided, and the situation turned for the worse when Bersi, the bastard halfbrother of the king declared his intent for the throne and declared war. In the confusion in the start of the civil war, the previous regent and uncle of the king manoeuvred into the postion as regent again, and months later tries a coup de etat to take over the kingdom for himself. Ivar and his court barely escaped and the civil war was now a three way affair.

Later the same year the other bastard uncle of the king also declared his intent for the throne, and the civil war now being between four parts, the regency council realized they needed to cut their losses. Peace feelers were sent out to the Jyllanders, and not long after the Treaty of Skåne was signed.

The troubles for young Ivar contined, however, as Haraldr, a distant relative, declared his intent for the throne. Days later news arrived that Niklar Hypatiosson, a noble upstart, also wanted the kingdom for himself. The situation was now a complete mess, and Ivar had now in reality lost, fleeing from place to place with his enemies in pursuit. In 991 Pierre’s Host declared war on Ivar to conquer the Scottish province of Morray, and moved in on the defenceless piece of land. In March 992, the bastard Olafr corned and captured Ivar and forced him to sign away the kingdom. With this, the reign of Ivar I was over, and Olafr I the Usurper declared himself the rightful king of Norway. He still had half of the country in open rebellion, however.

startolafr1.png

The sitation in Norgesveldet at the fall of Ivar I.

Aftermath
The first reign of Ivar I is remembered in Norwegian lore and littature as a period of great strife and instability, but the period has also been a great inspiration for later playwrights and authors, the long flight of Ivar being the inspiration for some of the greatest novels of the 1800s.

Goodness me-what a mess!! Intriguingly you speak of the 'first' reign of the unlucky infant King-will look forward to a second coming hehe :)