• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Commander666

Field Marshal
2 Badges
Nov 24, 2010
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • 500k Club
I just ran a test to confirm something I had earlier stated - that the UK seems to be getting a special deal on upgrading ship brigades.

To explain, in all cases for all countries that I know about, upgrading rate is proportional to IC spent. So if upgrading in capital where you might have high infra - because of the higher ESE - you can upgrade aircraft and land units much faster; and it costs proportionally more to do so.

However, to upgrade UK ship brigades costs exactly the same regardless where upgraded... in high ESE or low ESE place (high infra or low infra port). That cost is 1 IC/brigade. But there is much greater upgrading gain at the ports with higher ESE.

This works out very well for the player who will improve London to 200 infra and also an "outlet" such as Dover.

The test compared upgrading ASW brigades at Scapa Flow (80 infra) and Dover (200 infra), At full IC funding, Scapa Flow gives +7.58 daily gain but Dover gives +11.71 daily gain. That is a significant "relative bargain" making it worthwhile to move ships from the Med to home just for their upgrading.

I am not sure if all countries get the same benefit. This game with UK is first time that I have been aware of an exception to the normal rule regarding upgrading speed which might be stated as, "you get what you pay for."