TRP Soviets strategy. Impossible undertaking?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Eugenioso

Banned
5 Badges
Sep 15, 2008
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Darkest Hour
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
i wont sugarcoat it, but its my 7th game with the soviets, normal/agressive, and no dice. Ic till '38 then infantry spam? nothing. Land fort holdline? nothing. armor? a waste.

Is it broken or something? i get that the AI got some ridiculous bonuses when i fought against them as germany, but this is an aberration. has someone won the soviets on TRP? How?

IC until 1937/early38 and upgrades. Then once you get MP events start building raw INF. A lot of it.(maybe with ART).

I have not won yet on my 1st game as the reds(normal/normal), but I am currently in 1942 and doing ok

I kept my units away from the border and positioned them at KR russian border. The germans spread themselves out and i could organize small counterattacks against them and even destroy about 10 divisions. Personally, I don't think the AI is getting any crazy bonuses, only +5 during combat for "difficulty"

Nuclear research and land doctrines are the 1st priority.
Even if you are BP'd, the abomb will bring you back into Moscow.

Watch out for command limits and bad terrain.
Lure them into giant attrition battles when possible, in order to deplete their MP.
Good luck.

Against a german AI, a human-controlled SOV will be weakened much more by the "purges" event chain than against a human GER. Your GDE, morale and organization will drop considerably. Furthermore, the offensive chit for GER will have a stronger effect and last longer. Also, it will take more time for the recovery events to trigger. Unless you've got at least the first two of them (after about a year of war), you should consider a fighting retreat with just very limited counteroffensives. Try to gain local air superiority over critical areas and bomb infrastructure to slow down the enemy progress. Me personally, i'd suggest building tons of (light) infantry to preserve as much territory/IC/MP as possible. You may switch back to tanks later as soon as your forces have regained their combat abilities.

During buildup, you should try to combine dozens of IC serial runs in Siberia and the Urals region (infrastructure builds needed!) and modern (1939) infantry runs that deplete most of your manpower until Barbarossa begins. You should switch from IC to infantry during 1939.

IC until 1937/early38 and upgrades. Then once you get MP events start building raw INF. A lot of it.(maybe with ART).

I have not won yet on my 1st game as the reds(normal/normal), but I am currently in 1942 and doing ok

I kept my units away from the border and positioned them at KR russian border. The germans spread themselves out and i could organize small counterattacks against them and even destroy about 10 divisions. Personally, I don't think the AI is getting any crazy bonuses, only +5 during combat for "difficulty"

Nuclear research and land doctrines are the 1st priority.
Even if you are BP'd, the abomb will bring you back into Moscow.

Watch out for command limits and bad terrain.
Lure them into giant attrition battles when possible, in order to deplete their MP.
Good luck.

i did that, exactly that as a matter of fact, even if not the KR rus borders, a bit more behind. As soon as i saw the first german units reach my field i counterattacked, pushed them back in north then they pushed me back, middle front is somewhat steady and south has been a back and forth, nearly 15 german divs destroyed (but 7 of those were german allied divs), By then the germans just completely push me out.

Ok so finally i won, after my 5th playthrough and 3rd keyboard (but only 2nd mouse). Mostly it involved constant replacement of divisions rather than reinforcement, me losing Baku and the southern front after some amazing last stands, continuous counterattacks to drain the german MP, and more than one encirclement. To say it was insane would be too little, and to type it would not do it justice.

Since I've failed two-three times,how much ic(if) did you build in the beginning?Because I get the feeling that smothering the ai with infantry is the most viable strategy.

Ok so finally i won, after my 5th playthrough and 3rd keyboard (but only 2nd mouse). Mostly it involved constant replacement of divisions rather than reinforcement, me losing Baku and the southern front after some amazing last stands, continuous counterattacks to drain the german MP, and more than one encirclement. To say it was insane would be too little, and to type it would not do it justice.

Could we see the casualties stats, please?

Could we see the casualties stats, please?
Victor.png

I dont know exactly how much i built, i just know i did 3 serials till 1938ish then spammed infantry like a madman. Only around 1941's end did i make a serial of 6 ARM, which i later cancelled in '43/44 to replenish my men's manpower situation (at one point i had a 2500 MP need for reinforcements!)

Impressive. Cheated IC and manpower?
With normal TRP this result is impossible :laugh:
But when it made fun, why not.

Rommel, TRP.

I didnt cheat anything. I did do a Nofog cheat once in '44 to check german MP though (they get some fkn event that gives them 1500 mp and some volksturm divs). And trust me, if i used cheats i wouldnt have lost my fkn airforce to a surrounded german motorized capping moscow right under my fkn nose. Besides, i checked afterwards that the UK and americans certainly helped somewhat. When germany took the Caucasus completely they pushed onto Persia, but then they were trapped in a very close to real life Operation Saturn, trapping the whole surviving army group south. This is also not counting the about half a dozen smaller encirclements that were a total bitch to kill, thanks to magic air resupply and the fact that, again, my airforce was destroyed by a single enemy div. In total, i must have encircled about 50 divs, of which about 15 were allied german divs. Germany even went all crazy in '44 with a final last ditch attack that nearly destroyed my southern front, but again lack of MP and brutal constant frontwide counterattacks stalled them and eventually it was a march to Berlin.

I did stop a bit after i noticed they began to counterattack the americans in the balkans and destroyed some american divs, but the steam ran out (Battle of the Belgradebulge?) and i took them out.

O

Honestly is there any mod which improves the AI and gives more events without giving such BS bonuses to the AI?

I love AoD but the old map is looking like roadkill possum nowadays :(

The event part of CORE was great, but the AI wasn´t exactly brilliant. Then again I´ve played last time one year ago or more, I think.

Yeah, I don't think the AI is ever going to be brilliant in any HoI mod, but in CORE they've concentrated on supporting the AI by manipulating the background variable rather than simply gifting it wads of units. They're continuing to refine it and what impresses me most is that the developments they've made prevent me from sucker-punching it much more often than not.

Yeah, I don't think the AI is ever going to be brilliant in any HoI mod, but in CORE they've concentrated on supporting the AI by manipulating the background variable rather than simply gifting it wads of units. They're continuing to refine it and what impresses me most is that the developments they've made prevent me from sucker-punching it much more often than not.

The whole thing with free units is a joke. I really hope that the next version of Darkest hour relies on it less - I mean it's actually in vanilla...

The AI has to get bonuses because otherwise they get anally raped

The AI has to get bonuses because otherwise they get anally raped

That doesn't necessarily require free units.
Certain aspects of DH Full's design - eg: extremely long build times and reinforcements costing almost nothing compared to the cost of new units particularly hurt the Soviets and make it particularly difficult for a country to recover from encirclement's.

If you had the opposite scenario - where reinforcements are costly, where reinforcing a unit from 1% strength to 100% costs 90% of it's build cost in IC days, and where supplies are similarly expensive in terms of IC, you'd have a situation where total losses of units would free up IC for building new units for the Soviets and where damage from heavy fighting would burden the German economy - a new tank is a new tank after all. It would be far far preferable to have actual game mechanics that allow the Soviets to build a lot of units rather than having to give them a whole lot of free ones.

It's not that the AI wouldn't still need bonuses - but it'd be nice if those bonuses were more under the hood - ie: more mild IC/resource bonuses.

Insofar as the mobilization adjustments to build times go, they should IMO be a lot more extreme - a mobilized country should be able to build infantry divisions at about the speed that they were buildable in HOI2/Arma, with extended/total-mobilization making it even fast.

It's fair enough to make it take longer but cost less IC during peacetime but it's too slow during wartime at present.

2 things: The AI is many decades away from being human competent, ergo the need for free div bonuses (i admit i hated them at first, and hell back in hoi2DDArma i modded the SOV's with 20% bonuses to everything, including MP)

2nd, That is a slider discussion. The abstract way in which DH handles div building and MP growth means that yes, divs do take a long time to make. Reinforcing a unit should indeed cost the unit's cost in IC days and IC cost, rather than a reduced amount. And hell, thats just going in depth (reinforcing a div should come according to the old standing army/draftee army principle: Do you want a slower, more elite reinforcement for your divs, or do you want conscripts with 3 days training, ala Norman from the movie Fury)

And finally, Iron Cross got the system down well enough, even if their map was insane.