Avatar: Last Airbender/Legend of Korra Interest Thread

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This seems like it would be very interesting to join, so I'll throw my hat in. Though I must ask, are the Dai Li before the Hundred Years War the kinda secret police like they were in the show? Or more the 'protectors of culture' like they were supposed to be?

Btw thanks for joining.

Can you list your top three preferences from the above list (not including the spots that I listed that were taken?)

Ah, sorry I didn't do so earlier. Also, thanks for the quick reply.

Anywho, here are my choices...

1. Fire Nation General/Noble
2. Head of Dai Li
3. King of Omashu

I know little on how the Air Nomads actually worked, so I figure I'd leave them to someone more knowledgeable in their ways.

Ah, sorry I didn't do so earlier. Also, thanks for the quick reply.

Anywho, here are my choices...

1. Fire Nation General/Noble
2. Head of Dai Li
3. King of Omashu

I know little on how the Air Nomads actually worked, so I figure I'd leave them to someone more knowledgeable in their ways.

I'll put you as Head of the Dai Li for now

My preferences would be:

1) Fire Nation General/Noble
2) One of the governors of the Earth Kingdom
3) Councilor for one of the Water tribes

So basically some minor character. I'd take a bigger role, but my knowledge of the A:TLA universe is a bit fuzzy.

My preferences would be:

1) Fire Nation General/Noble
2) One of the governors of the Earth Kingdom
3) Councilor for one of the Water tribes

So basically some minor character. I'd take a bigger role, but my knowledge of the A:TLA universe is a bit fuzzy.

I'll put you down as a Fire Nation general

Rules

Turns

For now each turn will take two years. During wars, turns will occur over a shorter period of time (TBD as circumstances dictate)

Remember to be somewhat descriptive with your orders

Personal Actions

Every character will be assigned one "negative" and one "positive" trait. These traits will come from CK2 and will be determined by dice roll for non-canon characters. I will determine traits for canon characters. The traits will either add positive or negative amounts to dueling, battle dice rolls, or economic modifiers.

There will be certain bonus traits that different characters will get beyond the standard two traits. Benders, bending masters, lightning benders, and White Lotus members will each receive a combat bonus. The avatar receives a high combat bonus. All members of the Fire Nation royal house will also receive a lesser combat bonus.

Every character will have three rankings that will be added to dice rolls or economic modifiers: combat, martial, and stewardship. The combat ranking determines your character's ability in duels. Martial score aids the chances of the army you are leading. Stewardship helps you economy if you oversee territory (basically landed characters). I will determine the rankings for each non-canon character via dice roll. Non-benders will have a lower combat score, though they can still fight in duels (more about that later).

Each character will receive one personal order per turn in peacetime and an undetermined amount in wartime. "Landed" characters will receive an extra order that I will talk about later. Personal orders can range from a wide variety of possibilities such as traveling, bending training, meditation, and so on. The more you train, the higher your combat score will increase. However, the older you get, the less you will get out of training. With enough training, you may become a bending master or unlock the secrets of lightning bending. The higher your natural potential (i.e. your starting combat score) the better chance you will have of becoming a master.

Not all characters can be benders, sadly, though of course Sozin and Roku are benders. I will roll a die to determine someone's chances of being a bender. Certain factors will increase a characters chances of becoming a bender (I'll think more on this later). For example, it seems like the Earth monarchy does not produce benders, so the current Earth King will have a lesser chance of becoming a bender. The Fire Nation royalty seems to breed excellent benders, so they will have a great chance of producing good benders. The King of Omashu (presumably Bumi's father) will have a good chance of being a bender. All Air Nomads can airbend, so they will have a 100% chance. The rest of the characters will probably have a 50-50 chance of becoming one.

In Avatar and Korra, duels play a major part. Characters can challenge each other to duels or use a personal order to try to chase someone down and attack them. The duels can be a personal affair or can be a larger affair with multiple characters involved. A die will be rolled for each character to determine the results of the duel and combat scores will be added to the die roll. The Dai Li will fight in place for a non-bending Earth King unless they are not with the Earth King.

The avatar will have a special ability during combat: the avatar state. I have to work out that mechanic more, however. Be warned that it will be very difficult to stop the avatar from reaching you if you wish to avoid him or her.

National Actions

I said before that each "landed" character will receive a certain amount of extra orders. These will count as National Actions. They will function the same way as many other forum games do. You will be able to raise armies, alter your economy, and so on. The degree of success for each order will be determined by die roll. Your character's martial or stewardship rankings can act as modifiers depending on the nature of the order.

Each landed character will receive a military force. At the start of the game, these armies and navies will be small since it is peacetime. Military forces include: infantry, cavalry, benders, elite forces, archers, artillery, tanks (if you have industrialized- more on that later), airships (need industrialization), three-deckers, transports, frigates, and battleships (need industrialization). Each unit will give a certain bonus depending on the terrain and situation (which will be up to my discretion). Generally, "balanced" armies perform better, though the situation depends. Benders are especially important but they are a valuable resource that you do not want to squander. Units can upgrade more rapidly the better your economy is. Elite forces are highly skilled fighters that are unique to each nation. A general's martial score contributes to your army's chance of success.

The military of each water tribe will be in control of each chief since both states are so small. Each air temple master will control their temple's "forces" (unless we don't have enough Air players). The Fire Nation military, as an absolute monarch, stays in the hands of the Fire Lord, though generals will have the latitude to employ different strategies. The military of the Earth Kingdom will be divided up among the different landed characters in the kingdom. Each landed character will control their own army and have the ability to raise troops as they see fit. The Earth King controls the forces of Omashu and the the Dai Li, though the Dai Li commander will have latitude to pursue their own policy and will get a National Action. Monarchs, chiefs, and other landed characters can choose to lead their own armies but their economies will suffer for it, particularly the highly centralized Fire Nation.

Armies will get positive or negative modifiers depending on where or when they are fighting. Fighting on home ground always gives an advantage for the defender. The Water Tribes will get a special bonus called "General Winter" when fighting on home ground and an advantage in naval combat. Sandbenders will fight much better in their home region. Air nomads will have a big advantage while defending their temples. The defenders of Ba Sing Se will receive a nearly insurmountable bonus. During Sozin's Comet, Fire armies will be almost invincible.

Naval units are initially modeled on EUIV and are divided into four classes: heavy, light, galleys, and transport. After industrialization, a nation's naval units will be modeled on Victoria II Consult the list of EUIV and Victoria II naval units to see what your nation/region's next naval upgrade can be. Transports will be needed to transport troops over bodies of water. Nations that industrialize can immediately skip to the Victoria II naval units even if they have not completed the EUIV naval unit upgrades.

Politics and Economy

I mentioned this a bit before but each nation has a form of government.
The Fire Nation is absolute monarchy. This means that the Fire Lord has complete control over the state, economy, and army. However, generals on the front have the ability to influence the Fire Lord and employ their own strategies on the front. Fire Nation princes and princesses can scheme behind the throne and perhaps even do the unthinkable...
The Earth Kingdom is feudal. This means that the Earth King possesses only nominal control over the kingdom outside the walls of Ba Singe Se. Each locality controls their own armies, runs their own economic policy, and so on.
NWT is limited monarchy. The Chief possesses a high degree of authority, though it is not absolute. The chief controls the army but councilors and elders can veto the chief's actions and force him to modify policy.
SWT is tribal elective. The chief is elected among the elders of the tribe. Policy is decided through the council (basically means you will receive a die roll penalty for your policies) though the chief controls the army.
The Air is theocratic confederation. The head of each temple is in complete control of their own temple, though they must coordinate with the other heads of temple for nationwide policy.

Each state receives a centralization score. Rulers can increase their centralization score with National Actions. When one reaches a certain centralization level, they then have a chance to change governments. The success of this attempt will be determined via die roll and is modified by the ruler's stewardship ranking. However, the Air Nomads cannot change their form of government. Each landed character in the Earth Kingdom can use an order to decrease kingdom-wide centralization, however, which could make life difficult for an ambitious Earth King. Certain events can increase or decrease centralization. The "ladder" of centralization goes as follows: Tribal elective--->feudal monarchy--->limited monarchy--->absolute monarchy. If the Earth Kingdom advances from feudal monarchy to limited monarchy, then the Earth regional system ends, though the "rulers" of each region will still possess significant influence.

Centralization also increases the amount of troops you can raise. A more centralized state can put more of their people into the army.

Each state (and region, in the case of the Earth Kingdom) has an economic score, starting at 0. National Actions can be used to improve your state or region's economy. The better your economy, the better your chance at improving it is. The higher your economic score, the more National Orders your state receives (with the exception of the Earth Kingdom and Air Nomads). 0-25 means 1 National Action, 26-50= 2, 51-75=3, and 76 and up means 4. For Earth and Air, each temple or region receives their own economic score.

If your nation reaches the score of 90 (I may change this), then they have discovered the secrets of Industrialization. This allows your state to build tanks, battleships, and other marvels. The higher your score, the more advanced your units will be, and the more industrial units you can build. A higher industrial score will also increase your population over time.

Each state or region will have its own treasury and tax rate. The higher the tax rate or more money the state prints, the more funds your state will receive. The state can also raise money by exploiting occupied or recently conquered territory or stealing another nation's treasury if they have occupied its capital. Both taxes and money printing can potentially harm your economic score. Governments with higher centralization rates will find it easier to tax their citizens than feudal monarchies. With an unlucky roll, an increase in tax rates could result in a peasant revolt. Money from the treasury can be used to raise armies, navies, build roads, walls, and factories, and other things. Roads and factories will increase your economic score while walls will make a city harder to siege. Armies and navies cost maintenance to maintain, so be wary. A higher economic score will also put money in your treasury each turn.

Okay, that's all I have for now. It is a bit complicated but I hope you guys think it is mostly a good system. The die rolls probably need a bit more refining, though I will follow the example of other forum games and how they use die rolls to determine the success of orders and so on. The duel system and power of the avatar system are the things I am most unsure about.

Last edited:
Sounds good to me!

My suggestion for die rolls:

In duels, assign each martial score a tiered bonus (i.e A martial score of 10-11 is a bonus of 0, 12-13 is a bonus of +1 etc) Roll a dice and add the bonus to the roll. Like in DnD. Best of 3 wins? Unless someone wins by a margin of X or more, then their opponent is considered too weak to continue/absolutely obliterated? Depends on the dice used, I guess.

For the Avatar State, I like the idea of terrain advantage and I think it applies to benders as well (Air and Fire Benders can bend successfully/efficiently just about anywhere, Water Benders need a source of water, Earth Benders needs earth to bend), so perhaps this could be a solution:

At the discretion of the GM, depending on where a duel takes place, Benders of a certain type get a small advantage to combat/duel rolls. (Water Benders getting an advantage in Navy combat or Earth Benders having an advantage in Mountains or something similar, with Air and Fire getting a flat score unless there is a particularly unfavorable environment present or a particularly favorable environment i.e High in the clouds or during a forest fire or something)

Whereas individual benders get +/- for these factors, going into the Avatar State would give the Avatar:

1) A martial score bonus
2) A bonus for each element, eliminating any penalties for those elements.

Dunno if I explained that too well, but yeah.

Although I suppose it depends on if you want duels to be based more on luck or more on skill. Adding tiered bonuses rather than skill values to die rolls makes it more luck dependent, but skill values make it more skill dependent. For example:

Two fighters, one with a martial score of 14 and another with a martial score of 19

With tiered bonuses, the 14 guy would get say, +2 to their die roll, and the 19 guy would get a bonus of say, +4

So with this system, the difference between the two is only 2, placing a very large value on the die roll itself (and therefore, luck of the draw)

But if the martial scores themselves are added to the die roll, then the much more skilled fighter (19) has an advantage of +5 instead of +2, which is considerably more. The idea of "best of 3" I think levels the field for both of these options. You could also integrate defensive stats as much as offensive, though I'm not sure how. (Perhaps if Duelist #1 rolls an offensive score higher or equal to Duelist #2, he scores a hit, and the first to three hits wins?) Perhaps the degree of success (i.e beating someones defense by more than 5 points) influences damage in some way?

((I am just reading through, see no-one has latched onto Aang yet,
I'll reserve him, before I go to do my assignment))

How will economy work for the Air Nomads? Or the Sandbenders for that matter? They both seem decentralized to the point where bartering would be the main form economic system.

Also, I understand the Sandbenders reside within the Earth Kingdom, but are they under the authority of the Earth King? Or are they their own separate entity that simply happens to live in a same region?

Although I suppose it depends on if you want duels to be based more on luck or more on skill. Adding tiered bonuses rather than skill values to die rolls makes it more luck dependent, but skill values make it more skill dependent. For example:

Two fighters, one with a martial score of 14 and another with a martial score of 19

With tiered bonuses, the 14 guy would get say, +2 to their die roll, and the 19 guy would get a bonus of say, +4

So with this system, the difference between the two is only 2, placing a very large value on the die roll itself (and therefore, luck of the draw)

But if the martial scores themselves are added to the die roll, then the much more skilled fighter (19) has an advantage of +5 instead of +2, which is considerably more. The idea of "best of 3" I think levels the field for both of these options. You could also integrate defensive stats as much as offensive, though I'm not sure how. (Perhaps if Duelist #1 rolls an offensive score higher or equal to Duelist #2, he scores a hit, and the first to three hits wins?) Perhaps the degree of success (i.e beating someones defense by more than 5 points) influences damage in some way?

I would rather have it be less luck based. I like your suggestions.

How will economy work for the Air Nomads? Or the Sandbenders for that matter? They both seem decentralized to the point where bartering would be the main form economic system.

Also, I understand the Sandbenders reside within the Earth Kingdom, but are they under the authority of the Earth King? Or are they their own separate entity that simply happens to live in a same region?

From what I understand, everyone in the Earth Kingdom is under the nominal jurisdiction of the Earth King. However, this authority does not seem to extend much beyond the walls of Ba Singe Se, much like a weak feudal kingdom in our world. Thus, I made this system where each of the regions of the Earth Kingdom control their own army and have their own economy.

The Sandbenders and Air temples will probably have a low economic score. In Korra, the Sandbenders have a town, so they have a chance to advance economically. Airbenders will probably find it very difficult.

((I am just reading through, see no-one has latched onto Aang yet,
I'll reserve him, before I go to do my assignment))

I will put you down for Aang, but would you like to play as someone else in the meantime? We will not get to Aang for some time.

I will assign traits and scores soon and continue to think about the dueling system. All feedback and ideas are welcome.

From what I understand, everyone in the Earth Kingdom is under the nominal jurisdiction of the Earth King. However, this authority does not seem to extend much beyond the walls of Ba Singe Se, much like a weak feudal kingdom in our world. Thus, I made this system where each of the regions of the Earth Kingdom control their own army and have their own economy.
The Earth Kingdom is complicated, I tend to view it has a non-centralised empire, rather than a kingdom,
It was only properly referred to as an Empire in ALOK though.
It seems to operate a little bit like a Mafia, the semi-independent states pay their dues to the monarch and in return they get protection from the Earth Army which is one force through out the Earth kingdom that take orders directly from the Earth monarch or the Council of Five in a time of War.
without the Earth Army the states seem to become rather weak and defenceless, which is probably what allowed some of the worst Earth monarchs to get away with some of the things they did. You could probably grant each state the ability to create special forces like Avatar Kyoshi and the Kyoshi warriors.

The Sandbenders and Air temples will probably have a low economic score. In Korra, the Sandbenders have a town, so they have a chance to advance economically. Airbenders will probably find it very difficult.
IDK, Air benders have more developed societies and functionality, with farming and whatnot. Sand Benders are Raiders, Pirates and Scavengers, mainly get through life by stealing. I doubt either culture would want to develop any further than what they are, the Air benders for example know how to fight when they have to but won't build huge armies and go on a mass conquest, they also tend to be very spiritual and non-materialistic.

I will put you down for Aang, but would you like to play as someone else in the meantime? We will not get to Aang for some time.
Yeah, that will do. I'll create a character when I actually finish my assignment, the thing I must complete but keep avoiding.

Traits for current characters:

Avatar Roku- bakerydog (patient, slothful, Avatar, Avatar state, firebender, fire master, air bender, air master, water bender, water master, earth bender, earth master)
Aang (reserved)- king cruel (kind, content, TBD)

Fire Nation

Fire Lord Sozin- Imperator1993 (ambitious, proud, royal blood, Sozin's comet, firebender, fire master)
Fire Nation generals- DharmaHelper (skilled tactician, flat terrain leader, charitable, arbitrary, firebender)
happycat (skilled tactician, cavalry leader, ambitious, arbitrary, firebender)

Earth Kingdom

Earth King- Maxwell500 (zealous, trusting)
Head of Dai Li- Random8k (diligent, wroth, earthbender, earth master)
King of Taku- Plutonium95 (charitable, cruel, earthbender)
Head of Sandbenders- Dr.Livingstone (gregarious, envious)
Bumi (reserved)- Dr. Livingsonte (gregarious, slothful, earthbender, TBD)

Water Tribes

Northern Water Tribe Chief- jcuc (charitable, content, waterbender, general winter)

Air Nomads

Southern Air Temple- Korona (patient, deceitful, airbender, air master)
Eastern Air Temple- king cruel (diligent, gluttonous, airbender, airmaster)

Notes: Everyone has a "good" and a "bad" trait and generals get the extra military ones. I assigned traits from the ck2 list a number, used random.org to pick numbers, and matched the number with the trait (except for Roku and Sozin, which I chose). I am not sure the exact effects each trait will have yet but you can guess what they will basically do. They will probably add or subtract from your stats in a similar manner that the ck traits do)

I will do stats (martial, combat, and stewardship) later and then post an official thread soon. Hopefully we will get people for the missing spots.

Last edited:
Personal Stats

Combat/Martial/Stewardship

Personal:

155 (29 base +1 patience +25 avatar +10 firebender +15 fire master +10 airbender +15 air master +10 water bender +15 water master +10 earth bender +15 earth master)/17/5 (6 base -1 slothful)

Fire Lord Sozin- 48/33/7
48 (13 base+10 royal blood+10 firebender +15 fire master)/33 (30 base+2 ambitious+1 proud)/7 (4 base+2 ambitious+1 proud)

DharmaHelper's general- 12/33/5
12/33 (21 base+12 skilled tactician)/5 (5 base+2 charitable-2 arbitrary)

happycat's general- 37/23/1
37 (27 base+10 firebender)/23 (9 base+12 skilled tactician+2 ambitious/1 (base 1+2 ambitious-2 arbitrary)

Earth King- 1/6/17
1/6 (base 4+2 zealous)/17 (base 19 -1 zealous -1 trusting)

Head of Dai Li- 40/22/18
40 (base 12+10 earthbender +15 earth master+3 wroth)/22 (base 19+3 wroth)/18 (base 17+3 diligent-2 wroth)

King of Taku- 22/26/9
22 (12 base+10 earthbender)/26/9 (base 7+2 charitable)

Head of Sandbenders- 19/29/6
19/29/6 (base 4+2 gregarious)

Northern Water Tribe Chief- 22/13/18
22 (base 12+10 waterbender/13 (base 14-1 content)/18 (base 17+2 charitable-1 content)

Southern Air Temple- 44/3/11
44 (base 18+1 patient+10 airebender+15 airmaster)/3 (base 1+1 patient+1 deceitful)/11 (base 10+1 patient)

Eastern Air Temple- 52/19/13
52 (base 27+10 airebender+15 airmaster)/19/13 (base 12+3 diligent-2 gluttonous)

Note: traits will have other effects on the game besides stats so don't fret if you don't get a stat bonus for a trait or if you think the bonus is too low. Traits can also be acquired/lost as the game progresses.

Please correct me if any of my addition is wrong

Last edited:
National Stats

Fire Nation:

Population- 40 million

Economy- 78

Centralization- 95

Government type- Absolute monarchy

Ruler- Fire Lord Sozin

Major citiy(ies)- Fire Nation Capital

Army- 875k
Infantry: 350k Grade III infantry
Cavalry: 132k Grade II cavalry
Archers: 132k Grade III archers
Artillery: 44k Grade I artillery
Benders: 175k Firebenders
Elite: 44k Type I Firelord Guard

Navy-
Heavy: 15 3-deckers
Light: 20 great frigates
Galley: 25 archipelago frigates
Transport: 55 merchantmen

Earth Kingdom:

Population- 150 million

Centralization- 26

Government Type- Feudal Monarchy

Ruler- Earth King

Major city(ies)- Ba Sing Se, Omashu, Taku

Navy (controlled directly by monarchy)-
Heavy: 3 3-deckers, 2 2-deckers
Light: 15 frigates
Galley: 5 galiots
Transport: 30 merchantmen

Ba Sing Se Metro Area:

Controlled by- Earth King
Population- 20 million
Economy- 32

Army- 400k
Infantry: 200k Grade III infantry
Cavalry: 20k Grade I cavalry
Archers: 20k Grade II archers
Artillery: 70k Grade III artillery
Benders: 75k Earthbenders
Elite: 15k Dai Li (controlled by Head of Dai Li)

Omashu Metro Area:

Controlled by- King of Omashu
Population- 10 million
Economy- 20

Army- 190k
Infantry: 100k Grade II infantry
Cavalry: 15k Grade I cavalry
Archers: 10k Grade II archers
Artillery: 30k Grade II artillery
Benders: 35k Earthbenders

Taku Metro Area:

Controlled by- King of Taku
Population- 8 million
Economy- 15

Army- 100k
Infantry: 50k Grade II infantry
Cavalry: 8k Grade I cavalry
Archers: 5k Grade II archers
Artillery: 15k Grade II artillery
Benders: 22k Earthbenders

Sandbenders:

Controlled by- Head of Sandbenders
Population- 4 million
Economy- 5

Army- 35k
Infantry: 15k Grade I infantry
Cavalry: 10k Grade II cavalry
Archers: 0
Artillery: 0
Benders: 10k Sandbenders

Kyoshi Island Region:

Controlled by- Grand Duke of Kyoshi
Population- 5 million

Army- 75k
Infantry: 35k Grade II infantry
Cavalry: 2k Grade I cavalry
Archers: 5k Grade II archers
Artillery: 5k Grade II artillery
Benders: 20k Earthbenders
Elite: 8k Grade I Kyoshi Warriors

TBD for other Earth regions (if we can get players for them)

Air Nomads:

Population- 100k

Centralization- 10

Government type- theocratic confederation

Ruler- confederation of temple elders

Major city(ies): none

Individual Air Temples:

Controlled by- Northern/Southern/Eastern/Western Air Temple Elder
Population- 25k for each temple
Economy- 5 for each temple

Army: 25k Airbenders, 10k Airbison for each temple

Northern Water Tribe: