Moral choices and DH: Oh god game, why?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Eugenioso

Banned
5 Badges
Sep 15, 2008
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Darkest Hour
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
Another curious moment in DH:

Playing TRP as the soviets (and havent won yet, thank god! im getting my ass kicked! maybe tomorrow with my third game that will change. Unrelated tip: '39 IC build wont go well with soviets), and i get this curious event that says "accept spanish refugees". There are 3 options; take in the commie refugees only, giving me MP and supply, get more people then force them to be commies, which gives me a dissent hit and more MP, and finally a take them all in! option, that gives me 3% dissent and the most MP.

Looking at facts: i am Russia, as in i couldnt care less about a damn 15 mp trade for 3% dissent. Also, it means diverting other IC to consumer good to reduce it, further hampering my production lines.

But damn it, i have to take the last option. Why? well, if i dont accept them, those spaniards will get killed by the nationalists, and i cant let them die so coldheartedly (yes, i am aware that i represent an egomaniac as the avatar of Stalin, but hell).

And again, this is only an option. I know those people don't exist, and i know that if i simply click commie refugees only i get no dissent, but then my damn moral human side says 'come on you bastard, take them in' and always wins.

This is a videogame moment that has far more moral depth than any of those stupid Fable games, or in fact any other game ive ever played. All other videogames that purportedly try and have moral decisions fail miserably, going with the black and white options (will you save the world, or will you burn down the orphanage?). Rather, here comes DH TRP and instead of telling you, it simply IMPLIES that something bad will come out of your choice and affect you both gameplaywise and morally (The orphanage is on fire! Only you are around! 3 options: Check the entrance to see if you find anyone, lose no health; Go deeper into the orphanage, lose 5 health; Go to the dorms to try and save someone, lose 10 health). The implications are there, and you know damn well what will happen to those poor refugees if you dont embrace them all.

Did you think about possible spies/traitors among those refugees ? If you don't take trust-worthy (ie communists) people only, then more good (communists) people could die, or you could loose the war, and communism will neither liberate the world. Kind of short term/long term moral choice...

True, but id rather save those helpless bits of information than let them be forgotten

My God I know how do you feel, It is like allowing or not woman to vote in KR, or brutally purging the Pacific states of america government with 'murica or giving or not a compensation to poor families after sinking that US ship in normal DH! I just can't force myself to do that

My God I know how do you feel, It is like allowing or not woman to vote in KR, or brutally purging the Pacific states of america government with 'murica or giving or not a compensation to poor families after sinking that US ship in normal DH! I just can't force myself to do that
Is there even a reason not allowing women to vote? It only gives you bonuses.

Meh. I don't really give a damn about naval gazing in the game. I just do whatever gets me the best bonuses.

Is there even a reason not allowing women to vote? It only gives you bonuses.

I played a firmly right wing German Empire, and I still let women vote in regional assemblies because it was by far the best choice in terms of bonuses and dissent.

But damn it, i have to take the last option. Why? well, if i dont accept them, those spaniards will get killed by the nationalists, and i cant let them die so coldheartedly (yes, i am aware that i represent an egomaniac as the avatar of Stalin, but hell).

It's a gauge of whether you're Man or Superman. And somehow, somewhere, someone's keeping score.

Now, now, you want to discuss moral choices, non-commie refugees, egomaniacs and Stalin? Take the first option, let all those who aren't commies to evacuate into France, England, USA - surely these countries would accept all those people - you aren't spherical, and you aren't in vacuum.