• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

brenda7

Corporal
1 Badges
Oct 22, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
Hey Guys, If you were playing as Nubian, would building a 1:1 Nubian Archer/Defense retinue be the single most optimal choice?

From running the numbers it's basically 59% Archer and 41% Pike, making it virtually perfect as a cost efficient hard-hitting retinue. On paper it looks absolutely fantastic, and possibly the 2nd best retinue combination in the game (after Welsh Longbows with light skirmishers). In fact, to my eye it almost looks like that if you somehow could pull off a miracle and land a Welsh commander (incredibly unlikely given the Nubian map location/culture ect ....) it would be THE best possible retinue combination possible?

Or have I missed something?

Thanks you.

Yeah, it looks like a pretty nice combination. But archers are really weak after first phase of combat, so it still could be dangerous I guess.

Your Pikemen will help trigger Shieldwall. You'll have to put a martial not more than 12 commander to reduce the likelihood of ShieldWall firing instead of Volley. Chances of Shieldwall firing at Martial 12 is 70+%. With Martial less than 12, it's Shieldwall at 28%.

One more thing, the issue with trying to finish the battle in skirmish is that if the enemy reinforces after the flank routs, you'll go instantly into melee mode.

Based on the strict Archers-Pikemen combo, they will have only 2 tactics available, Barrage and Force Back. Force Back being the higher damage tactic, but if the enemy sends an Advance tactic, you'll not last long as well.

I'm currently 130 years into my Nubian Kingdom (Queendom at the moment !) and I just discovered that I have enough Retinue points to create a pretty decent bodyguard.

My selection criteria ? Which troops can I see wearing the best outfits ! :laugh: