Hearts of Iron IV - Developer Diary 12 - Internal Politics

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What you said is true but what about the race to German scientist by Allies and Soviets? The USA maybe wouldn't had landed first to the moon without Von Braun, wouldn't had superior jet aeroplanes without Germans and maybe they wouldn't had the A-bomb in 1945 without Fermi.

Right ! (A part from the jet fighters : Americain reached and overcame the soviet level of quality only when they found that their machines were all inferior to the MiG 15, and worked a lot to improve them during the Corean war.)

That is a fascinating piece of information!
On what source do you base such an interesting opinion?
I'm not in a position to judge it but it seems that in truth MIG15 was superior for many aspects to the Sabre

That is a fascinating piece of information!
On what source do you base such an interesting opinion?

Mig Alley - Before the introduction of the F86-F Sabre the MIG15 was a far superior fighter to the F80, F84 and Gloster Meteor due to the MIG's swept wing design something the nato planes did not have. This gave a fairly large advantage to the MiG's which they retained until the introduction of the Sabre which successfully changed the balance of power.

Mig Alley - Before the introduction of the F86-F Sabre the MIG15 was a far superior fighter to the F80, F84 and Gloster Meteor due to the MIG's swept wing design something the nato planes did not have. This gave a fairly large advantage to the MiG's which they retained until the introduction of the Sabre which successfully changed the balance of power.

Thanks to explain, I'd not have done it better.

Right ! (A part from the jet fighters : Americain reached and overcame the soviet level of quality only when they found that their machines were all inferior to the MiG 15, and worked a lot to improve them during the Corean war.)
But this is kind of incorrect.

Soviets were behind in jet aviation in 1945, chiefly because they (understandably) canceled jet projects after German invasion. Americans were ahead there with jets. Soviets build quite a number of new models of Jets before they reached MIG-15.

In what US was truly "behind" is in deployment of newer jets, but that, again is understandable as they had a huge stock of perfectly adequate piston planes.

Sabre and Mig-15 first flights were only a month different, October 1947 for Sabre, and December 1947 for MIG-15. Claiming one side was somehow "ahead" in quality is incorrect.

But this is kind of incorrect.

Soviets were behind in jet aviation in 1945, chiefly because they (understandably) canceled jet projects after German invasion. Americans were ahead there with jets. Soviets build quite a number of new models of Jets before they reached MIG-15.

In what US was truly "behind" is in deployment of newer jets, but that, again is understandable as they had a huge stock of perfectly adequate piston planes.

Sabre and Mig-15 first flights were only a month different, October 1947 for Sabre, and December 1947 for MIG-15. Claiming one side was somehow "ahead" in quality is incorrect.

In 1945, of course, because Soviet hadn't any jet fighter. In 1946, MiG-9 and Yak-15 appeared, and they were like the Shooting Star, in other words, they had plenty of problems.
Claiming one side was somehow "ahead" in quality is not incorrect, MiG-15 was way better than the F-86A, in climb speed, high altitude, transonic speeds, and had heavier armement. The US pilots deployed in Corea were the best USA could provide to the front, though, and far better trained and experienced (the 3 squadrons deployed were made of WWII vet) than the Chinese and North Corea ones, and probably better than the Soviet ones also. That explains why the air battle was so closely contested, and even at the USA advantage. But US pilots were pretty admiring the MiG-15. That's why north-American will improve the F-86A in F-86E, with a new tailplane. They developped this requested improvement because of the MiG-15 confrontation.

Last edited:
In 1945, of course, because Soviet hadn't any jet fighter. In 1946, MiG-9 and Yak-15 appeared, and they were like the Shooting Star, in other words, they had plenty of problems.
Claiming one side was somehow "ahead" in quality is not incorrect, MiG-15 was way better than the F-86A, in climb speed, high altitude, transonic speeds, and had heavier armement. The US pilots deployed in Corea were the best USA could provide to the front, though, and far better trained and experienced (the 3 squadrons deployed were made of WWII vet) than the Chinese and North Corea ones, and probably better than the Soviet ones also. That explains why the air battle was so closely contested, and even at the USA advantage. But US pilots were pretty admiring the MiG-15. That's why north-American will improve the F-86A in F-86E, with a new tailplane.
One big advantage the F-86 had over the MiG-15 was roll rate. The U.S. pilots used that advantage to manipulate and develop dogfights.

Anyway, I really like the content of this DD. The internal politics mechanics look very promising, and fit in pretty well with the rest of the game. I'm excited for this game to come out!

Thanks. I'm excited for this title and even more excited to hear about how Paradox is willing to alter its development cycle to "get it right." I think some other big publishers or developers have refused to do that in recent years, and it has crushed their credibility. I am also very pleased to see the way tech teams have reappeared in the game.

I'm glad to see a return of the tech teams system. At the time of HoI3 I remember being anti-tech teams, but after playing Darkest Hour and Arsenal of Democracy I really enjoyed them. I think the added flavour for the HoI4 system would be good too.

This is great diary! I am interested how all the symbols for companies are researched? Are they going to be historical?

Wherever we can and have time to find logos yes. There were companies during this time that didnt really have logos though so we do take some artistic freedom as well.

Is... Is that Ethiopia in South Tyrol/Trent?

One Question, how a country without any ports (therefore without any fleets) could transport even 1 division? Possible answer, may be there's a possibility to capture docked ships? Since It would take forever for Ethiopia to make a transport ship.

Now I understand where somali pirates came from....

One Question, how a country without any ports (therefore without any fleets) could transport even 1 division? Possible answer, may be there's a possibility to capture docked ships? Since It would take forever for Ethiopia to make a transport ship.

Now I understand where somali pirates came from....

Didn't you know? You just move the units into the water and they automatically get transport ships.

Sorry, bad joke.

If Ethiopia has any naval factories or converted those from regular ones, if HOI3 is any indicator, it can take a year to build transport.

Other possible answer is that Ethiopia simply got military access from every one on the way, and simply walked.

Or there was something that went fubar in the peace algorithm and Italy proposed half it's mainland in a peace proposal.
If I understood correctly the situation was observed post-peace, no actual invasion was seen.