• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

M.Muir

Private
36 Badges
Aug 21, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
I finally decided to try the 'easy street' of Prussia-NGF-Greater Germany. (In NNM) My previous experience with a global shake-upper was Japan, with a different path. Balancing the diplomacy and warfare to survive, sphere the needed countries, and coax Austria in was a definite rough ride!

So, it is late 1850's, the only german cultural region not within my borders is part of Hungary (It and Romania are my spherelings.) I formed the Baltic Union as a puppet state, then when Russia backed Lithuania in a crisis, I broke Belarus free, so I have almost no border with Russia. (And the Poles within my borders are well content with their lot.

I am fighting - diplomatically - France for sphering the Netherlands. (Rubber!) and once I have built the canals I will sphere Brasil also.

My economy is firmly in the black.

I have no experience in the Scramble for Africa, and I feel that should be my next focus. So, how to prepare for it? Build naval bases in canal zones?

Also, something I was tempted to try as Japan, but had too many troubles at home, I feel I could try now, and that is dismantling the USA.

Thoughts? Advice?

go back and dont rush forming it in the late 1850's?

go kick the ass of sokoto, then from there make a glorious colonial empire in the middle of africa (best resources) and cause mittleafrika is a good plan

go dismantle the UK, besides india, let them keep india for now, because that;s just going to hurt them in the long run to have that pile of worthless.

Is there a benefit to forming it later? Besides the satisfaction of making it further without a gigantic manpower pool and industrial base? Hmm, mittelAfrika might be fun, and could be done earlier, before I scuttle my fleet.

Forming Germany late allows you to focus on preparing for colonization earlier, so you don't reach the Scramble for Africa with Tier 2 Navy techs and only Machine Guns for Liferating. Letting the AI handle early industrialization minimizes micromanagement on your part as well. Last, annexing Austria slows research considerably; you will likely NEVER reach the country-wide LIT average you had as Prussia/NGF once you Anschluss Austria.

I usually focus on forming NGF early on, since it's a nice, achievable goal (and France must be fought early on for best results), but don't worry about sphering/annexing the South German minors unless an opportunity presents itself. You can form Grossdeutschland in the 70's or later, then roflstomp for 50-60 years.

You could try conquering China. It's actually pretty easy despite the size of the country and number of soldiers they have. First, just take Formosa. Next start expanding onto the mainland. The trick is to take all their provinces and make the substates independent, while keeping their research down so they can't westernise.

When I form Greater Germany that quickly I tend to go on a country-freeing spree. I'll keep attacking the Ottomans until they have released all cores of other nations, same with Russia and other countries that have dominated others for too long. Of course the people in the Reich have all the freedoms they could ever want so I know they are already OK.

When I form Greater Germany that quickly I tend to go on a country-freeing spree. I'll keep attacking the Ottomans until they have released all cores of other nations, same with Russia and other countries that have dominated others for too long. Of course the people in the Reich have all the freedoms they could ever want so I know they are already OK.

so what about the poles? oder czechs?

and how can you gaurentee those nations are truely free under those governments? Better to bring them under the wing of the great german eagle i think.

Personally the only parts of Austria worth taking are Bohemia for its natural resources and Austria proper: these are the only two parts of their empire that start the game reasonably literate. You're better off in my opinion using the Austrians as a pinata and beat every single nation out if them, annex Bohemia, then sphere Austria and it should join you.

(The only way all those extra Slavic pops are useful to you is starting as Austria and then forming the Danubian Federation in PoD)

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I've won? Hardly. I decided to continue the game as-was to compare with a fresh run. Low literacy did slow me down, and, even though I was below 15 infamy, other nations (usually France, UK, or Russia) kept generating 'Cut Down to Size' wars, which I could and did win, but it grew tedious, as I was unwilling to accrue the infamy to reduce the European powers in addition to attacking China. Amusingly, internal unrest was not a problem, perhaps because I kept sending brigade after brigade of non-Germans to the front, keeping German guard forces at home. I grew tired after the scramble for Africa died down, and left that game in the early 1900s. My Japan game left me feeling more successful overall.

In NNM, Austria will only join peaceably if it is divested of all non-German, non-Austrian cores, I believe. I did only hold Bohemia-Moravia (which I conquered as NGF) and then after a diplomatic dance post-war did Austria proper join - no Slavic cores in my borders, though plenty in my sphere. (Unless you count Poles/Czechs as Slavs.)

Well, I will start attempt 2 soon, keeping some of your suggestions in mind.

"I mean i had nobody able to beat me and no real internal issues. but done? HA i enjoyed having nothing to care about all game!"

also, "Unless you count Poles/Czechs as Slavs" They are. it isnt "I think they are" it's simply " they are

I would suggest taking Dutch colonies in Asia, Java prime target. Germany tech school does not favor navy so change it when you have advanced enough. If you can have foothold in Congo you can colonize mid Africa like original German plans. When you consolidated your power only competitors are UK and it's coalition. Still don't take any crisis chances it does not make sense to fight wholeworld.

I would suggest taking Dutch colonies in Asia, Java prime target. Germany tech school does not favor navy so change it when you have advanced enough.
Germany's tech school, once you take the "Junkers, Heer, and Krupps" decision, is sufficiently good that you will have a hard time actually finding something to spend all your tech points on.