• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Your entire post does not make sense to me. The Crusades weren't religious bloodbaths? By what definition of the term do you figure? To which religion wasn't it a bloodbath?

The Christians and muslims borrow money from Jews because they have prohibitions against money-lending? How about they needed money and the Jews were willing to lend to non-Jews?

As far as the Norse were concerned Odin was the most powerful God in the Nine Realsm, failure to worship Odin (as other Pagans failed to do) would be considered stupid and possibly unhealthy, denying the existence of Odin would be considered insane and dangerous, after all your own people might turn away from Odin and he would then visit his wrath upon your lands.

"Abrahamic" religions are not "xenophobic" that is an ethnic or cultural prejudice, they are atheistic, they believe in only one God, no other Gods exist, as opposed to Pagans who believe their Gods are better than other Gods.

As to Crusades not being "religious bloodbaths" my point, which I thought was obvious, was that bloodbath or no it had little to do with religion because all wars at the time tended towards bloodiness, especially after a siege.

The Jewish money lender thing is definitely because of the prohibition on Christians lending to other Christians etc. I've never seen anyone dispute that.

You need to read your own posts before you put them up because a lot of what you try to say is unclear or make no sense.

Nothing in Norse and many other Pagan religions say that you need to go out there and convert other people to your religion and if they do not you can go lie cheat steal kill or whatever you want with them. The reverse cannot be said of the Abrahamic religions.

The crusades happened because the pope called them in the name of God. Any number of people who went on crusades went because they considered themselves pious and thought they were fighting for a holy cause. I don't know how you can argue that it isn't religious.

Your entire post does not make sense to me. The Crusades weren't religious bloodbaths? By what definition of the term do you figure? To which religion wasn't it a bloodbath?

The Christians and muslims borrow money from Jews because they have prohibitions against money-lending? How about they needed money and the Jews were willing to lend to non-Jews?

As far as the Norse were concerned Odin was the most powerful God in the Nine Realsm, failure to worship Odin (as other Pagans failed to do) would be considered stupid and possibly unhealthy, denying the existence of Odin would be considered insane and dangerous, after all your own people might turn away from Odin and he would then visit his wrath upon your lands.

"Abrahamic" religions are not "xenophobic" that is an ethnic or cultural prejudice, they are atheistic, they believe in only one God, no other Gods exist, as opposed to Pagans who believe their Gods are better than other Gods.

As to Crusades not being "religious bloodbaths" my point, which I thought was obvious, was that bloodbath or no it had little to do with religion because all wars at the time tended towards bloodiness, especially after a siege.

The Jewish money lender thing is definitely because of the prohibition on Christians lending to other Christians etc. I've never seen anyone dispute that.

I'm no expert on religion, but shouldnt Abrahamic faiths be considered monotheistic not atheistic? I mean it as as an honest question.

Which God? And wouldn't it be the other way around? The Pope's God called them with the voice of the Pope?
It's complicated, but in short - yes, something like that; at least faithful catholics supposed to agree with it.

I'm no expert on religion, but shouldnt Abrahamic faiths be considered monotheistic not atheistic? I mean it as as an honest question.

You're right. That dude has no idea what's he is talking about. A religion cannot be Atheistic, and Christianity is most definitely Monotheistic.

Last edited:
You need to read your own posts before you put them up because a lot of what you try to say is unclear or make no sense.

Nothing in Norse and many other Pagan religions say that you need to go out there and convert other people to your religion and if they do not you can go lie cheat steal kill or whatever you want with them. The reverse cannot be said of the Abrahamic religions.

The crusades happened because the pope called them in the name of God. Any number of people who went on crusades went because they considered themselves pious and thought they were fighting for a holy cause. I don't know how you can argue that it isn't religious.

And a lot of what you say is based on popular versions of history that don't bear up under the actual evidence.

It's somewhat difficult to know what Norse "religion" said about other religions, the only remotely impartial accounts come from the Roman period when Roman ethnographers (like Tacitus) described the Germans and their religion. What we do know is that the majority of the Germanic Pagans killed at least some missionaries, this was so widespread that I understand the English would boast of having been peacefully converted.

There's actually nothing in Judaism or Islam that says you need to convert other people to your religion, it just says that if they don't convert they're outside your community, which is common to pretty much all religious systems (even modern ones). We have secular communities now but in the medieval period most communities were based around a particular religion, everything was bound up in it.

Christianity, obviously, does have a converting impetus but even in that case it doesn't allow you to "go lie cheat steal kill or whatever you want with them".

The Crusades happened because Alexios I wrote a letter to Pope Innocent asking for help against the heathens, and he got a lot more help than he wanted. Subsequent Crusades were aimed at either defending or reclaiming Outremer. By the time the Second Crusade kicked off several generations had elapsed and the "Franks" were quite rooted in the Holy Land, the whole sage is primarily a political and cultural one. Yes, there was a religious element but there was a religious element in everything at that time, it was just how the world was.

You're right. That dude has no idea what's he is talking about. A religion cannot be Atheistic, and Christianity is most definitely Monotheistic.

Actually, a religion can be "atheistic" if it rejects the belief in the existence of other Gods. Monotheism is, strictly, the worship of only one God. So Mithraism and Zoroastrianism are Monotheistic whilst Judaism, Christianity and Islam are Atheistic. If you worship Mithras you can't also worship Zeus or Odin, but that doesn't mean they don't exist - Christians etc. believe Zeus doesn't exist and that is the Classical definition of "atheism". It's why the Romans found Jews and Christians so offensive but many of their soldiers were free to openly worship Mithras.

In the modern world we have this extreme form of absolute atheism so people now find it odd to have the term applied to Judaism etc.

Good grief.

Weird exception?

Zoroastrianism having access to Jewish courtiers/events makes perfect sense, given the history of Cyrus and Darius, who liberated the Jews and helped build the Second Temple.
Also, a few centuries before the game, the Sassanids started letting the Jews escape from the persecution of Rome into their lands.

Oh cripes, I completely forgot about the early Church and the mob violence - what a thing to slip my mind. Been spending too much time in medieval Europe.

Talk about a really ugly religious conflict.

Fort hose wondering about my sanity - religion is what I study at university, heresy specifically, and I find it deeply interesting. What I have taken away from the past nine years or so is that people were a lot less nasty to each other in medieval Europe and the Middle East than they sometimes are today.

It's somewhat difficult to know what Norse "religion" said about other religions, the only remotely impartial accounts come from the Roman period when Roman ethnographers (like Tacitus) described the Germans and their religion. What we do know is that the majority of the Germanic Pagans killed at least some missionaries, this was so widespread that I understand the English would boast of having been peacefully converted.
Are we speaking about that Germanic pagans who take Christianity from 4th century and became most faithful to 10th? And about that Germanic pagans who making negotiations with Romans with Papal mediating? Sure, there was incidents, a lot of them (well, paganic life was not very safe, you're using similar thesis about wars), but in general christian missioners was quite successful with German tribals.
And, well, we have not-so-bad sources about germanic paganism in its norse version. Better that a lot of other pagan religions. We have Eddas after all.

Actually, a religion can be "atheistic" if it rejects the belief in the existence of other Gods. Monotheism is, strictly, the worship of only one God. So Mithraism and Zoroastrianism are Monotheistic whilst Judaism, Christianity and Islam are Atheistic. If you worship Mithras you can't also worship Zeus or Odin, but that doesn't mean they don't exist - Christians etc. believe Zeus doesn't exist and that is the Classical definition of "atheism". It's why the Romans found Jews and Christians so offensive but many of their soldiers were free to openly worship Mithras.
Not quite.
Really Classical "atheism" means reject belief to local community gods. So, Christianity was atheistic in 1st century Rome, but wasn't in 10th century Paris; Zeus worshiping was quite the opposite.

P.S. I want to clarify - do you mean Classical word usage or current? Because as I know word "Atheism" haven't used by Classical people, and modern term about "the worship of only one god between others" is "henotheism".

Last edited:
Well, many Christians still buy into the "Jews killed Jesus!" propaganda even though it was over 2000 years ago.

Well, you just triggered me with your thread-derailing comment and considering it isn't removed I won't just let it stand there without a even more thread-derailing rebuttal.

The new testament on multiple occasions mention that the clergy of jewish Pharisaic sect is plotting to kill Jesus. Examples are Matthew 12:14 where it specifically says that Pharisees were conspiring to destroy him and John 11:45-57 where it describes more in dept that the pharisees were planning the killing of Jesus. Another example is Matthew 23 where Jesus describes the Pharisees as greedy corruptors and hypocrites whose teaching lead people away from god.

As described(although I admit, not very precise) in the bible, killing Jesus was basically a plot done by the jewish Sadduccaic and Pharisaic sects, who were normally rivals but temporarily made a truce to depose of a common enemy which threatened the survival of both their sects. The Sadduccees were basically destroyed with the destruction of the second temple in the Jewish revolt agianst the Romans and became mostly irrelevant later in history.

The teachings in the (written)Torah/Old Testament wasn't the only religious component of the Pharisaic sect, they also had the Oral Torah, which contained many more laws and interpretations of the laws in the Written Torah and told the jews how to live. After a second failed revolt in the 2nd century the Jewish clergy decided that the Oral Torah should be written down, as the jewish rebellions instigated fear that it could be lost in another devasting rebellion. This basically was the start of what is now Rabbinic Judaism, with the Mishnah being the written version of the oral torah which was supplemented by various other teachings of rabbis to eventually create the Talmud, which is the holiest book now in modern day Judaism along with the Torah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharisees
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_Torah

There's 2 reasons why this is important. First off, the Pharisees are blamed in the bible to be the killers of Jesus. Mainstream (Rabbinical)Judaism is the direct successor to the same pharisees accused in the bible of plotting Jesus' murder. The association with the Pharisees is the reason why Christians blame the jews for the killing of Jesus. The other reason is that the Talmud has certain passages where they acknowledge the existence of Jesus but also curse him and make some very negative remarks about Jesus(I won't post them here for fear of getting a ban). The consequences of this can be recognized in several instances of Christian history like the 7 papal bulls issued by the Catholic Church agianst the Talmud and the transformation of the important protestant leader Martin Luther from someone who tolerated the jews and sought to convert them peacefully into a zealous anti-semite who advocated for the expulsion and destruction of the jewish community after a converted jew read him a Talmud and told him of the teachings of the jews.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_papal_bulls
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther_and_antisemitism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Margaritha

...and, I believe, it should be noticed.
In 1965 Catholic Church decided that "what happened in His passion cannot be charged against all the Jews, without distinction, then alive, nor against the Jews of today."

Are we speaking about that Germanic pagans who take Christianity from 4th century and became most faithful to 10th? And about that Germanic pagans who making negotiations with Romans with Papal mediating? Sure, there was incidents, a lot of them (well, paganic life was not very safe, you're using similar thesis about wars), but in general christian missioners was quite successful with German tribals.
And, well, we have not-so-bad sources about germanic paganism in its norse version. Better that a lot of other pagan religions. We have Eddas after all.

Not quite.
Really Classical "atheism" means reject belief to local community gods. So, Christianity was atheistic in 1st century Rome, but wasn't in 10th century Paris; Zeus worshiping was quite the opposite.

P.S. I want to clarify - do you mean Classical word usage or current? Because as I know word "Atheism" haven't used by Classical people, and modern term about "the worship of only one god between others" is "henotheism".

While the Eddas are useful sources they're written by Christians and are several centuries after Iceland was converted to Christianity, they're also not completely extant. I know of no contemporary ehtnographic study of Norse Paganism in, say, the 9th Century. There's a fairly obvious reason for that - it was detrimental to your health as a Christian Cleric to spend too much time around Danes.

As regards the terms I'm using, I'm trying to talk about Christianity and Paganism from the point of view of a Polytheistic Pagan philosopher, anachronistic I know but someone asked why Pagans don't have access to Jews - so that was what I was trying to explain.

Unfortunately I let myself get distracted by another person who thinks all medieval Catholics did was go on Crusade to kill Jews, Muslims and Orthodox Christians. A view which gets my back up.

While the Eddas are useful sources they're written by Christians and are several centuries after Iceland was converted to Christianity, they're also not completely extant. I know of no contemporary ehtnographic study of Norse Paganism in, say, the 9th Century. There's a fairly obvious reason for that - it was detrimental to your health as a Christian Cleric to spend too much time around Danes.
Well, to be honest it was detrimental to your health to live in Medieval age at all. But, really, german pagans were toleranted enough in 9th century to became Christians - Saint Anschar's life was 801-865, and "Vita Ansgari" is good ehtnographic material about Norses. Not good ehtnographic study, of course, but it's not a problem with bad health among Danes for Christian Clerics, but some issues with Christian Clerics goals. They tried to converse germanics (successfully, I should notice), not to study them.

Not to be empty-worded, just some cites from "Vita Angsari":
"Meanwhile [I.e. in 829] it happened that Swedish ambassadors had come to the Emperor Ludovic, and, amongst other matters which they had been ordered to bring to the attention of the emperor, they informed him that there were many belonging to their nation who desired to embrace the Christian religion, and that their king so far favoured this suggestion that lie would permit God's priests to reside there, provided that they might be deemed worthy of such a favour and that the emperor would send them suitable preachers."
"They were kindly received here by the king, who was called Biörn, whose messengers had informed him of the reason for which they had come. When he understood the object of their mission, and had discussed the matter with his friends, with the approval and consent of all be granted them permission to remain there and to preach the gospel of Christ, and offered liberty to any who desired it to accept their teaching."

And, of course, our sources about Norse paganism aren't completely extant. Well, sources about what paganism are? Roman and Hellenic?

There is a Times of Israel article "26% of Americans believe Jews killed Jesus" dated November 1, 2013 that quotes:

"The percentage of respondents who believe that Jews are responsible for the death of Jesus was 26 percent, down from 31 percent in 2011."

Is 26% cute enough for you?

That's a vague and misleading phrasing. Plenty of people believe that "The Jews killed Jesus", sure, but that's not necessarily (and not at all likely) "The Jews living today are responsible for the murder of Jesus" which was the typical Medieval position. That's like saying people who believe "The Germans were responsible for the Holocaust" really believe "All Germans living today need to be tried for and convicted of crimes against humanity." There is an important distinction here, I think, and not just one of synecdoche.

I will dispute that. I do not think medieval Jews would lend money to pagans. There were objections about even conducting ordinary business with Christians which medieval Jewish scholars, lawyers, and judges had to argue against. In general, Judaism takes a, shall we say, dim view of idolatry. Deuteronomy 13, for example, prescribes that any pagan who proselytizes a Jew should be put to death and if that person was a foreigner, then their whole town should be put to the sword.

Stop unloading your entire history studies in these forums. There are other things in life! Like playing CK2!