• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

omega20056

Basileus Basileon
95 Badges
Dec 27, 2012
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Victoria 2
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
Steam Workshop.
MediaFire download.

IaNcg7h.jpg

This is a small mod that I made using events originally taken from warlordJake's Imperial Revamp mod. The original events from the mod simply multiplied your retinue cap by 100%, and this could lead to huge numbers when technology or building bonuses were applied. I wrote 122 hidden events that add an event modifier to your capital, which scales upwards based on how many realm holdings you have. Providing you have the Imperial Administration law, you'll get the first modifier (+10,000 retinues) when you reach 50 realm holdings. This modifier scales upwards by 10,000 for every 50 realm holdings you have, but does not stack with previous modifiers, which are removed when the new version is applied. Accompanying these modifiers is a 30% boost which is applied to all of you realm holdings, and an overhauled retinue system which includes rebalanced costs, unit upkeep, 500 man regiments, and balanced combat stats. I also removed the ahistorical levy nerf and the republic/theocracy vassal limit Paradox added in Sons of Abraham (I had to include an edited defines.lua file so I may as well have done it).

Requirements:

- Legacy of Rome (To be able to access retinues)

Changelog:

- Addition of 122 new hidden events which add/remove the relevant modifiers based on realm size.
- Removal of the levy nerf and the republic/theocracy limit added in the Sons of Abraham expansion.

Credits:

- warlordJake (Imperial Revamp mod)

Last edited:
Here's a couple of pictures to demonstrate what the mod actually does.

2015-01-08_00006.jpg
2015-01-07_00002.jpg
2015-01-07_00003.jpg

Attachments

• 2015-01-07_00001.jpg
    2015-01-07_00001.jpg
    683,5 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Awesome! Been looking for this since LoR came out! two questions: Is this integrated in your other mod, Project Augustus? Does the AI take advantage of thoss features?

Does the mod shrink the levies you can raise to balance it?
No, because that makes historical realms like Byzantium far too weak. One of the issues with the Imperial Revamp mod was that it reduced levies without providing an alternative. The Byzantine Empire could raise 20,000 retinues but never got the chance to because it started with so little levies that it was pillaged by everyone as soon as the game started.

Awesome! Been looking for this since LoR came out! two questions: Is this integrated in your other mod, Project Augustus? Does the AI take advantage of thoss features?
It's not in the current version of PA, but it will be in the next update. The AI does take advantage of these features, I seen Constantine V raise 10,000 retinues yesterday. As Bulgaria, I was still able to conquer most of northern Greece and smash the Byzantine army.

Is the retinue boost from the organization technology supposed to be disabled? I'm getting +0.00% retinue from technology after installing this, making non-byzantine realms extremely weak.

Is the retinue boost from the organization technology supposed to be disabled? I'm getting +0.00% retinue from technology after installing this, making non-byzantine realms extremely weak.
Yes, it was messing up the retinue numbers, To get significant numbers of retinue troops you need to have the Imperial Administration law.

Won't that make the Byzantines extremely OP, since non of the other realms start off with Imperial Administration?
No, because you could only get 1,000-2,000 retinues normally, and they have upkeep, so the AI can't go crazy with them.

No, because that makes historical realms like Byzantium far too weak. One of the issues with the Imperial Revamp mod was that it reduced levies without providing an alternative. The Byzantine Empire could raise 20,000 retinues but never got the chance to because it started with so little levies that it was pillaged by everyone as soon as the game started.

Ah that's understandable. It's a shame it's not possible to start the game with pre-made retinues

Ah that's understandable. It's a shame it's not possible to start the game with pre-made retinues
I really wanted to give the Byzantine emperors pre-made retinues to represent the tagmata, but the game doesn't support it.

Would that not be possible via a Byzantine only mercenary company?

Could giving them vassalised mercs called the Tagmata work? And then once they've got their retinues together fire an event that disbands them?
I could do it, but the in-game numbers honestly seem fine to me. This is a proof of concept mod which is meant to be a resource for other modders, I don't intend to expand it.

Now that I think of it, I probably should try to keep the game balanced. How about I add in a 30% levy penalty then? Byzantium would still have enough to survive and the retinues would make up the rest. I'd also like to add that I will be supporting this through future patches and DLCs. I was hesitant to reduce levy numbers in case it made Byzantium too weak, but I may as well give it a go.

You could scale it slightly so at the beginning they lose less troops and with more realm holdings the penalty becomes slightly harsher? Then they wouldn't be too weak at the start?

You could scale it slightly so at the beginning they lose less troops and with more realm holdings the penalty becomes slightly harsher? Then they wouldn't be too weak at the start?
I'll try this out. I'll also apply the event troops rebalances I made for my own mod so characters like Emperor Baldwin of Romania doesn't get ruined by Byzantium as soon as you unpause the game.

How do factions work with this too by the way? I'm assuming there's not much difference as the retinues should just make up the difference in levy numbers so percentage strengths work out the same?

How do factions work with this too by the way? I'm assuming there's not much difference as the retinues should just make up the difference in levy numbers so percentage strengths work out the same?
You are correct.