• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A much more rapid conquest of the Mamluks! Oh well, in a region where only one superpower is permitted, the AI always has to lose! :p
The AI in EU IV is not the smartest to put it mildly and unfortunately it cannot be modded. I wish it would be a bit more challenging but I guess we have to wait for EU V for that ;)

I suppose you can march north and teach the pesky Horde a lesson or two, and cement Ottoman/Turkish domination of the Black Sea a couple centuries earlier too! ;)
I'm afraid of the Golden Horde - It's so incredibly large! Nothing like I've faced before in this campaign..

Cheers!

In a war against Golden Horde, taking a defensive stance might be a really good idea, just staying in/close to your own territory and killing armies!

In a war against Golden Horde, taking a defensive stance might be a really good idea, just staying in/close to your own territory and killing armies!
Thanks for the advice. I think you are right. Luring their armies into my homeland could be a good option to defeat them. But now that I think about it more, maybe defeating the Golden Horde is easier than I assumed This would depend on how weak the nomadic units are that they use. I guess I will soon find out :cool:

The Merchant Guild

Chapter VI - The Merchant Guild​

Christians. Christians everywhere! Even Africa was not safe from the Bible. Makuria followed the Coptic faith and one day the Egyptians reported that Coptics had poked fun at Muslim traditions. This offense had to be punished with a punitive war. Turkey had called for a Jihad against the hostile unbelievers. Makuria's only ally was Medri Bahri, another Coptic nation.
The Jihad was relatively short and in total Egypt gained six provinces.
In the year 1394, the Turkish Merchant Guild was founded in the harbor city Attalia in the province Tekke. It was small and lacked influence but everything starts small. The Guild controlled some of the Anatolian wool trade and sold it to merchants in Rome who then redistributed the goods. The sultan was unaware of the guild's business but the mayor of Attalia believed in their success and provided them with additional trading vessels.

MHi0O7U.jpg

Ahemd had completed his training and studies at the military academy at the age of 16. He became a captain of the city guard in Gallipoli. Mehmed felt it was too early to send his son abroad. There was no need to rush it but once thing was certain: Mehmed was destined to become a general.
The Grand Council came together to discuss the political situation in Greece. Epirus had formed a personal union with Thessaly and conquered Corfu; rebels on Crete had gained independence for the island; Genoese merchants were still controlling Chios; Byzantium had internal problems with a local pretender; Naxhos was still tiny and unimportant. Time to bring stability and order to Greece. Time to spread the true faith. Time to declare war! Epirus and their ally Naxhos were singled out as target. It turned out to be a short fight – calling it “war” was an overstatement. It was almost like if the Greeks just opened their city gates and let the Turks in without a real fight.
The military was looked for a “real” war and suggested a campaign to conquer the holy city Medina which belonged to Turkey's ally Hejaz. Mehmed gave into their demands and formerly signed a paper that dissolved the alliance. Hours later, Turkish troops were already marching on Maan.
Once half of Hejaz was occupied, Mehmed decided it was time for his son to gain experience on the battlefield. He was sent to lead the siege of Jeddah. The sultan also changed his mind about conquering Hejaz. Vassalizing them seemed smarter. Turkey lacked a vassal on the Arabian peninsular.
Ahmed did well and thanks to his impressive tactical understanding the enemy was defeated. In a matter of a few years, Hejaz had been turned from an ally into a vassal. Enthusiastic about his son's victory, Mehmed sent him to Egypt to conquer the Mamluk province Alexandria. This was easier said than done because they had powerful friends including the blobby Najd, Adal and Yemen.

1WlnPgF.png

With the Roman Republic controlling most of Italy, many Italian scholars made scholars made their way to Turkey and help spreading new ideas. Most major cities had libraries, academies and museums. The modernization was in full place. Even the clergy had accepted that being innovative and religious were not excluding each other any longer.
Two years into the war with the Mamluks, diplomats convinced Tunisia that it was worth it to join the war agains them. More manpower helped keeping the foes busy and spared Turkish lives.
Ahmed became a military hero and his stature among the people and especially the military rose.

X9wPteX.png

In the June of 1401, the modernization process in Turkey had come to an end. Technology wise the country was now on the same level as its Western competitors. To please the clergy, Mehmed focused on religious ideas which were a little left behind during the modernization.
When the Merchant Guild opened an outpost on Lesbos, Genoese merchants began harassing their ships from the island Chios. These privateers were damaging Turkey's cut of the trade. Murad Izzed had been elected leader of the guild and asked for an audition with the sultan. The audition was denied but he was allowed to speak with members of the Grand Council who explained to Murad that a war against Genoa was difficult given that the Genoese had rejoined the anti-Turkey coalition. However, the council recognized the guild's legitimate concerns and was working a solution to the “problem”.

Qn3Dvj6.png

oTcUvh0.png

Turkish traders lobbied for an all-out war against the coalition to get rid of the competition on Chios. Spies were conducing missions in Genoa to come up with a feasible plan. When they noticed that Genoa was allied to Crete the key to solve the issue was found. Turkey had a claim on Crete and knowing that Genoa was going to support them in a war, declaring war on Crete was the solution to conquer Chios.
When the Merchant Guild heard that the empire was at war to deal with Genoa, they suggested to also annex Crete. Crete was in an ideal position to control trade and the land was suited to produce valuable goods like sugar.
The siege of Chios lasted only 105 days thanks to the experienced siege corps. Decades ago they were laughed at for being inexperienced and weak but starting with the late 14th century, they were among the best in the known world. Crete, Chios, Cagliari, Oristano and Kaffa were incorporated into the realm. Merchants from the capital and the guild were extremely content with the latest conquests.

tOKZwAB.png

The Turkish Empire lacked a vassal in the Balkans. After Albanian nationalists had successfully rebelled against the Byzantine Empire, Mehmed forced the Albanians in a fast war into vassalage. After the war, the military academy presented the Grand Council a new type of siege equipment called Pot de Fer. They were metal cannons that severely speeded up sieges- Pot de Fer were not meant for land battles and it was dangerous to use them. Some siege engineers died using them because the canon exploded in front of them. Thanks to Turkey's completed modernization program, the empire was among the first European countries to use canons. The Hordes had used siege equipment before but nothing like these impressive Pot de Fers.
Mehmed was very impressed by these new canons. The military academy urged him to order a thorough army reform in order to explain the men how to use canons properly and how to maximize their firepower. The sultan had no objections towards a military reform. New tactics were developed and the forces were retrained. A first order of 10 regiments of pot de fer arrived shortly after. Most provinces lacked the equipment to construct them and so they were all built in Istanbul and Eskisehir.

mFfouVl.png

Hejaz had finally come to reason and accepted that life as a Turkish vassal was not bad at all. It allowed constant expansion for example. The Hejazi Malik Abul Muhsin was angered that Najd still owned one of his core provinces that was lost before Hejaz became a vassal. An army of 16.000 was sent to please him. It was a pity that the Pot de Fer were not ready yet. Ahmed said after the war that they would have been handy to have.
The Jalayirids and Mamluks supported Najd's hopeless war. Cairo, the last Mamluk province, was consequently conquered by and ceded to Egypt. Armenia received some territory from that nomadic tribe and effectively splitting their country into two pieces. This weakened the Jalayirids because they could not send armies back and forth from one side of their realm to the other.

LFJoEqf.png

All reigns eventually come to an end but the reign of Mehmed ended abruptly. It was too short and he had some great plans that were not realized. Yes, Mehmed died unexpectedly. He fell down the stairs that led from the bed chambers to the principal hall of his palace. His head hit the edging of a step. Minutes later he was already in Paradise.
Ahmed was not ready to rule – he had been destined to be a general – but now he had too. Since he was away so much, he had only recently gotten married. Quite late for the son of a sultan. Luckily, his wife delivered a son shortly after the wedding and so Murad became his heir.
The Grand Council convened immediately after the death and Ahmed appointed his cousin Cinhangir Köse as regent. He was given the task to to administrate the realm while Ahemed was fighting wars. He had no intention to live a peaceful live in Istanbul. The battlefield was for him. Cinhangir Köse was by profession an architect and had become a member the Grand Council two years before Mehmed passed away.
In that session the Grand Council advised the sultan on two more things: 1. Immediate integration of the Egyptian eyalet into Turkey. 2. Annulling the alliance treaty with Tunisia.
The smell of war filled the air of the council chamber...

dH3bGzj.jpg

fJVCyS8.jpg

Before I forget: Here is a question for you.

Would you in my shoes move the capital from Istanbul to a more advantageous location (Cyprus, The Baleares or Sardinia)? I'm at a point in this campaign (Mid 16th century) where this would make things a lot easier but I'm not sure if I should do it..

Cyprus sounds like an interesting place for a new capital

Cyprus sounds like an interesting place for a new capital
Cyprus is a very interesting place because if I move my capital to one of the three provinces I named above, then suddenly coring Asia becomes 50% cheaper. Why? Because that would make all of Asia oversea's territory. PDX did not think their mechanics through. I would also get less income from my Asian provinces but that could be neglected since I don't have financial problems.

Unless there are objections from many readers I will most likely make Cyprus my capital.

Also move into Europe instead of Asia, much more interesting, even if it isnt that profitable as Asia.
I will do both :) A small spoiler: In the next chapter the Islamic Re-Reconquista of Iberia will begin :cool:

Napoleon Bonaparte once said, "If the whole world were one country, Istanbul would be its capital."
Istanbul is a fantastic capital and I love it as my capital city but 50% cheaper cores in Asia.. That's so tempting. If I make Cyprus my capital then once the world is one country, we could move the capital back to Istanbul.
The decision has not been made yet.. It's a difficult one.

Move it to Rome because you are the true heir of the Roman Empire after all:cool:

But seriously, if you want world conquest, no amount of cheese is too much, so Cyprus it is!

I see VeF is looking even nicer now than it was a few months ago when I last read a VeF AAR. Cool looking mod.

The War of the Half-Moon Coaltion

Chapter VII – The War of the Half-Moon Coalition​

By September of 1417, the alliance with Tunisia was cancelled and 26.000 Turks were stationed near the Tripolitan-Tunisian border. Another 10.000 sell-swords where waiting for further orders on board of the Turkish fleet that was patrolling the Moroccan coast. Sultan Ahmed led the army
The sultan had set two war goals that had to be accomplished under all circumstances. The first goal was to take the Moroccan provinces Ceuta and Oujda in order to restore the Emirate of Granada in order to be able to commence the re-reconqusita Iberia. The second one was conquering as much Tunisian land as possible for Tripoli.
The mercenaries built a small base in Oujda and began organizing the fighting against Morocco from there. Fighting in the coastal desserts of Morocco was tiring and painful. It got even worse in the Sahara where the high temperatures were troubelling the mercenaries more than the Moroccan army.
Tunisia was easier defeated – not because the terrain was more friendly but because Egyptian, Hejazi and Armenian troops were supporting Turkey. For the merchants, the island Djerba was of particular interest because of its unique position in the Gulf of Gabes.

89GjWCc.png

Regent Cinhangir Köse was leading the administrative matters in Istanbul while the sultan was gone. He was pleased with the reports saying that Egypt had been successfully incorporated into the realm. Turkey was now controlling the entire Eastern Mediterranean which increased the influence of the Turkish Merchant Guild. Turkey became a “big player” on the global market. The Merchant Guild established a base in Alexandria and Chaldia to steer trade back home.
Meanwhile a letter reached the capital that the Duke of Burgundy had died. “The great Duke Louis-Joseph II de Bourgone and his closet followers have tragically been killed […] the Duke personally led the troops into battle, valiantly changing his enemies. […] The death of the last de Bourgone Duke of Burgundy has plunged the country into internal turmoil. ” stated the letter. As the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, Austria received control of the Burgundian lands.

VyX2pyI.png

CSGG5pq.png

Six years after the declaration of war, the first war goal had been accomplished. Morocco ceded Tangiers, Ceuta and Oujda to Turkey. The lands were used to release Granada as subject. Yûsuf III of House Wattassid was awarded the title Emir of Granada and heir of Al-Andalus.
Tunisia had also been defeated but the peace negotiations were slightly longer given the high demands that Ahmed was making. At the end, Tunisia had no choice but to accept them.
Ahmed returned to Istanbul and was very pleased with the job his cousin did as regent. Granaries had been built in every single province to decrease the likeliness of famines. Not only did Köke dedicate time to improve the infrastructure, he was also quite busy with integrating Tripoli into Turkey.
The sultan had also time to listen to his advisors. Diplomat Boumbalis pointed out that a delegate from the Roman Republic had informed him that they fabricated six claims on Aragonese provinces in Italy and France.

VyqwJtT.png

gzSjtAC.png

Boumbalis also said that Aragon only had weak allies and that he believed that it was safe to attack them. Ahmed consulted with the military who supported an all-out invasion of Aragon by joining the military coalition against them. The sultan felt that Boumbalis made a good case and met with the leaders of France, Serbia and Ferrara who had already joined said coalition. They were glad that Turkey decided to join them in their just cause. Together the four countries founded the Half Moon Coalition. War was declared shortly after with the Roman conquest casus belli.
King Ferran II d'Aragó had not anticipated a coalition war and his country was in shock. All countries of the attacking side had agreed to cary the banners of the Half-Moon as long as they were at war with Aragon. Ahmed had managed to unite countries of three different faiths against a common enemy. Serbia was Orthodox, France & Ferrara Catholic and only Turkey followed the true faith.
Pisa, an ally of Aragon, was defeated much, much earlier before even any of the Aragonese provinces in Italy were occupied. This allowed the Roman Republic to core Siena while still fighting Aragon. Croatia had also joined the war on the defending side and was forced to cede its two coastal provinces to Turkey. This increased Turkish influence over the Mediterranean and

1p2lFod.png

Ahmed's cousin Cihangir Köse had been re-appointed as regent while the sultan was in Italy winning sieges. Köse was not pious himself and neither was Ahmed but Köse knew that the sultan tried to please the clergy by focusing also on religious ideas.
In the January of 1429, the Half-Moon coalition had destroyed the Aragonese army and occupied every single town. Unconditional surrender was accepted by the Argonese King who had escaped death multiple times by betraying and abandoning his own men on the battlefield. The losing side agreed in the Treaty of Roma to cede Foggia, Napoli, Pescara, Provence, Saluzzo and Bari to the Roman Republic.
The Half-Moon coalition had triumphed but was disbanded after the war. In fact, Ferrara was so upset with the leadership of sultan Ahmed that they entered a coalition against Turkey.

7dinikk.png

In the year 1429, Byzantium was still not annexed but there was nothing the sultan was able to do because the Byzantines were protected by either a truce or the anti-Turkey coalition. Maybe it was just meant to be this way.
Ahmed was tired of Byzantium that he did not even want to hear the a request from Byzantine rebels. They were seeking financial aid but received no audition with the sultan.
Emir Yûsuf III of Granada received an audition but he had a completely different request and was also in another position. Yûsf wanted to inquire about the Turkish plans to commence the Muslim Re-Reconquista of Iberia. Full of joy, the Emir left Istanbul. With him sailed 40.000 men and and the entire Turkish fleet.
Castile had no friends anymore. They used to be allied with Portugal but the Portuguese became the junior partner in a personal union with England. Even before that, Castile was friends with Aragon but things had escalated when both countries had laid claim on Navarra. In the end the French conquered the province but the alliance was never restored. An ideal situation to call for a Holy War against the Iberian infidels.
The Holy War began in the August of the same year. First were the Castilian outposts in Northern Africa hit. These were Melilla and Oran that once belonged to Morocco. Morocco was weak and failed to defend its homeland from the infidels and thereby put other African nations like Tlemcen and Granada at risk.

Eh4o8cI.png

nD7bAbm.png

Aswan had been an important grain-producing province. Grain was the main source to feed the population and so grain was quite valuable. Turkey produced enough so that none had to be purchased abroad. Regent Köse faced a difficult decision when scouts reported that a gold ore was discovered in Aswan. Grain was valuable but gold was gold. A loan was taken to set up the mining operations. Köse did not want to lose the gold ore to some wealthy prospectors. The gold had to be used for the good of the realm.
The hostile Coptics of Makuria had laid claim on the gold mine and harassed the newly arrived Turkish miners. In punitive war, Makuria was annexed and her ally Alwa also lost some territory.

LkgA09J.png

The Holy War against Castile lasted for about five years. Granada was able to reconquer its cores Malaga, Granada and Almeria. Castile furthermore ceded the North African outposts Oran and Melilla as well as Cadiz and Murcia to Granada. Gibraltar was ceded, too, but administrated directly by Turkish administration and not by Emir Yûsuf III. The first step of the Re-Reconquista was a full success.

uKDNphO.png

Back in Istanbul, spies presented the sultan and his Grand Council with valuable information. The reports stated that the Turkish Empire's military power was almost unmatched and income wise nobody was a better position.

oozaFBP.png

6zqxAb2.png

Could we get a zoomed out view of your glorious realm? And also perhaps one in the diplo mode? It's always fun to see how an empire has grown and also I can't quite remember who all you've vassalized :p

Could we get a zoomed out view of your glorious realm? And also perhaps one in the diplo mode? It's always fun to see how an empire has grown and also I can't quite remember who all you've vassalized :p
The next update will include a political map but not a dipole mode map. Since I already continued playing this campaign I cannot go back and get more screenshots. I'll keep that in mind for future updates. Please note that I have already written a first draft of the upcoming chapters but starting with Chapter XIV I will make sure to include diplomatic maps. Sorry!

Oblivion

Chapter VIII – Oblivion

“Your Empire stretches from Constantine in the west to Abkhazia in the west and from Silistria in the north to Butana in the south; excluding enclaves like Kaffa or Gibraltar. And then there are the subject states. The Roman Republic controls a good amount of Italy, Hejaz is the strongest force in Arabia and Armenia is competing for that title with the Jalayirids in Persia. Albania is still rather unimportant and has no influence whatsoever. Your vassal Granada is making a comeback in Iberia.” Those were the words of a renowned cartographer who presented Ahmed with a new map that he had been working on for months. The sultan was impressed by the cartographer's work and thanked him with some ducats.

J2Fau9j.jpg

The months after the war with Granada seemed peaceful but they weren't. Ahmed had already singled out the next target. He had agreed to the Roman request to conquer Southern Italy and maybe some Sicilian provinces. But not immediately. Even though his cousin Köse had done a wonderful job as regent in his absence, the sultan was worried his cousin was gaining too much influence and so he was fired from the Grand Council. Ahmed was 57 years old and the constant battles had affected him in more ways than many had imagined. He was tired of leading armies and slaughtering infidels. The sultan rethought his life and decided to pursue a happy life in the capital. First he had intended to replace Köse with his son Murad but then he decided against it and sent him as ambassador to Rome. Köse was replaced by a wise imam to please the clergy. The elected leader of the Merchant Guild was also given a seat in the Grand Council. Their influence in the realm had been rising rapidly.
In a first meeting with the new Grand Council, the imam influenced the sultan's decision making and a policy of heretic removal was enacted. Ahmed signed a decree that stated that all heretics had to be removed from the nation.
One last issue was discussed before the meeting concluded, the Turkish Nobility was demanding 540 ducats as recompensation for their contributions. The sultan ignored the nobility which slightly destabilized the empire.

iwBqPcd.png

In the winter of 1435, the conquest of Southern Italy began. The army was no longer led by Ahmed and the military was worried that without their sultan's military skills they might be weaker but their worries were unjustified – the war went well. Serbs, Byzantines and Genoese forces joined Aragon in defending Italy. This was a crucial mistake for Byzantium. For centuries they were hiding behind a mighty coalition. Now they were exposed and unprotected. Ahmed prioritized the annexation of Byzantium over the war goal which was to conquer Southern Italy.
Three years later, Byzantium was no more. Annexed. Gone. Sent to Oblivion. It was about time! The fighting was paused for a week and the whole country celebrated the defeat of the hated Byzantines.
After the celebrations the hostilities with Aragon continued and then Granada laid claim on Valencia and Alicante. Eventually the entire country was under siege. Southern Italy was annexed by the Roman Republic including a few provinces on Sicily. Granada received control over the two Catalan cities it had claimed. Turkish merchants wanted control over the Baleares but their demands could not be met this time.

aMM9z3J.png

The Merchant Guild also wanted to have an outpost in Arabia but that territory had been promised long ago to Hejaz and Turkey tried to keep their promises whenever it was most beneficial for it. Haasa and Oman were next to Hejaz the other two countries that inhabited the Arabian Peninsula. Unlike Hejaz they were followers of heretical faiths and that was not acceptable. At least not according to the policy of heretical removal that had only recently been signed into law: Oman was Ibadi whereas Haasa followed the Shiite faith. Time to cleanse the heresy!
In a Grand Council meeting, the military suggested to replace the Yaya Infantry with the better equipped Piyade Topcu. This suggestion made sense to the sultan and so he implemented it.
It was the middle of the 15th century and some Turkish provinces were still highly underdeveloped. They were lacking essential buildings like a blacksmith, a sheriff's office or a marketplace. Ahmed provided workers with over 600 ducats to improve the situation but 600 ducats were far from enough.

kJR1OOx.png

Ahmed requested new maps from the cartographer's office. He was interested how the political situation in Northern Europe was. He received information that Novgorod had advanced far into Sweden. Scandinavia was a mess. If only Turkey could bring stability to that region... It was just a dream... At least for now. “Who knows what the future will bring” said Ahmed to his son Murad. Murad was still living in Rome but he came to Istanbul to visit his father and to talk about different matters including Novgord's ambition to annex Sweden. Thought the realm people made bets whether Novgorod or Denmark was going to manage to sack Stockholm.

ZgFfIVB.jpg

A collaboration between the military academy and the Merchant Guild led to the development of new ship types. The salope was a decent trade ship that soon became the primary ship type of the Turkish merchant fleet. The galley-like kadirga was meant to replace the outdated karamursel but the model needed some further fine-tuning before it was ready for release. There was no need to rush things.
Meanwhile, the Roman conquest of Italy and the Re-Reconquista both continued but without Ahmed. He was feeling in pain and tired after he ate dinner. He went to see his trusted doctor before going to bed who gave made him a tea of herbs to help with the pain. He knew that Ahmed had been poisoned but he found no cure for it. The sultan did not survive the evening and the doctor was hung the next morning without trial. Murad, the second of his name, rose to the throne of the Turkish Empire. His two years old younger brother Mustafa his heir.

isbp609.jpg

fFNK8HZ.png

Murad II was a solid administrator who quickly made his father's death forgotten. Stability was restored. He had been in trained in Istanbul before he was sent to Rome as ambassador.
The speculations of who the assassin was and who he was working for did not stop and the investigations from the Grand Council came to no conclusion either. Whoever murdered Ahmed knew how to cover one's tracks. Venice was said to have good spies but there was no proof that it was behind this cruel act of brutality. The Holy Roman Empire also known to despise Turkey but it could have been anybody. Turkey had many enemies and only a few friends. But who needs friends when you are powerful? Isn't it better to be feared than loved?

LtRqqlg.png

The new sultan had bigger dreams than any of his successors. He wanted Turkey to control be the ultimate superpower on both land and sea. For that to happen, the existing navy had to be improved. A lot. A Grand Fleet was necessary to dominate the seas. Galleys were neither good enough to discover the unknown nor to protect Turkish interests in the Gulf of Aden or similar oceans. Heavy ships were the key to naval supremacy. Some in the military believed that a navy was overrated which created some tensions that Murad II had to deal with. Leading merchants on the other hand were more than happy with this decision. They had been complaining for quite a while now that the trade routes outside the Mediterranean were unsafe for Turkish traders.
The size of the empire had reached a new dimension and to represent Turkish interests it was necessary to open diplomatic representations in different parts of the realm. One of these embassy-like buildings opened in Alexandria. Over 1000 ducats were requiered to construct it. Alexandria was a good location for it because it was an important center of trade that was frequented by many nationalities and people of different faiths. The embassy increased the available diplomats and the number of diplomatic relations that Turkey could handle.

6NadwIJ.png

A merchant marine was established to protect the most frequented sea routes. This was possible because of the extra funds the sultan had provided the navy after adopting Grand Fleet ideas.
The Holy War against the infidels continued and it stayed a huge success. In the latest war, Granada gained so much territory that by 1463 it became a threat to the other Iberian nations.

KhanP1y.png

A few comments:
  • Current vassals: Albania, Granada, Roman Republic (Papal State), Hejaz & Armenia.
  • Completing Grand Fleet ideas will give us an overseas's expansion casus belli on Asia. Looking very much forward tot hat.
  • If we complete Expansion Ideas & Grand Fleet Ideas then we will get our first colonist through a policy. We really need that colonist but the policy won't give us access to conquistadors/explores so the colonization of the new world will have to wait. But we could colonize the oasis in Africa. That would be a start.
  • The Golden Horde collapse is going much worse than expected. I expect this cause us serious problems because conquering the region will be much more difficult. Especially given that Novgorod seems to prefer expanding into Scandinavia than into the territory of the Golden Horde.
  • Rumors are that next chapter we will go on Hajj and thereby visit the Holy City Mecca.

While I am enjoying this AAR, the lack of challenge is disappointing. It's become a bit of an AI stomp, with Turkey many times stronger than it would be this time in real life. Combine your holdings with those of your vassals and not even the Golden Horde would be a worty state to consider an opponent.