• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jokolytic

Defensor Innocentis
13 Badges
Nov 25, 2012
forum.paradoxplaza.com
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
Currently the Expel the Jews decision is pathetic. Just a -2 Diplomacy is boring and unrealistic. I would honestly give a +10 temple vassal opinion and -10% tax modifier for ~10 years. No more stupid tech point loss events, either because it's asinine. From there, modifiers for likeliness for AI to use the event. (Characters with zealous/greedy/etc will be more likely, characters with sympathy for judaism will never, for example.)

Please don't turn this into off-topic. I just think the current effects are stupid.

Any other ideas?

+10 modifier for zealous vassals.
-50 relations with any Jewish landed character, or character with the "Sympathy" trait.
No difference whatsoever in relations with non-Abrahamic religious characters. Why would the Suomenesko/Vikings give a hoot if you expelled the Jews or not?

Maybe the fleeing Jews should automatically head to your neighbour, giving a financial boost to the amount of gold they can borrow from the Jewry. Be an incentive not to boot them if the Duke whose title you've got your eye on can now raise £600 in gold from the new Jewish population. Not too difficult to tie in where the Jews go and where your Chancellor is currently fabricating a claim, or you have de-jure claims.

+10 modifier for zealous vassals.
-50 relations with any Jewish landed character, or character with the "Sympathy" trait.
No difference whatsoever in relations with non-Abrahamic religious characters. Why would the Suomenesko/Vikings give a hoot if you expelled the Jews or not?

Maybe the fleeing Jews should automatically head to your neighbour, giving a financial boost to the amount of gold they can borrow from the Jewry. Be an incentive not to boot them if the Duke whose title you've got your eye on can now raise £600 in gold from the new Jewish population. Not too difficult to tie in where the Jews go and where your Chancellor is currently fabricating a claim, or you have de-jure claims.

That's actually a great idea for stars.

The Catholic Church historically protected Jews from persecution and condemned those who did. It was part of their doctrine to let the Jews go on with their lives and try to convert them peacefully. I referenced Catholics specifically because I'm less familiar with what other religions did.

The Catholic Church historically protected Jews from persecution and condemned those who did. It was part of their doctrine to let the Jews go on with their lives and try to convert them peacefully. I referenced Catholics specifically because I'm less familiar with what other religions did.
You sure that was true for CK2 times? Not doubting you, I´m a noob at the subject. Trying to get a better grasp of those medieval scenarios.
edit: found the answer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relations_between_Catholicism_and_Judaism#Background

"Following the Fall of Rome, and during the Middle Ages, the Catholic Church became a temporal power in its own right. Around 400, St Augustine, one of the most influential and foundational figures of Catholic theology, preached that the Jews must be protected for their ability to explain the Old Testament. Around 598, in reaction to anti-Jewish attacks by Christians in Palermo, Pope Gregory the Great (c 540–604) brought Augustine's teachings into Roman Law, by writing a Papal Bull which became the foundation of Catholic doctrine in relation to the Jews and specified that, although the Jews had not accepted salvation through Christ, and were therefore condemned by God until such time as they accept salvation, Christians were nevertheless duty-bound to protect the Jews as an important part of Christian civilization.[5] The Bull said that Jews should be treated equitably and justly, that their property rights should be protected, and that they should keep their own festivals and religious practices.[6] Thus, in the Papal States, Jews enjoyed a level of protection in law.[5] While a "persecuting spirit" often existed among the general population through the Middle Ages, and certain Popes, including Paul IV oppressed the Jews, Papal Bulls reiterating the duty of protection were issued by various Popes, including Pope Callixtus II (c. 1120), whose "Sicut Judaeis" served as a papal charter of protection to the Jews, and Jewish communities often turned to the Holy See for protection.[6]"

Why? Only because caths and jews both like Jesus?

Edit: just found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian–Jewish_reconciliation but those seems recent advancements.

The Catholic Church was quite protective Jews for most of the timeframe, often taking radical actions against those who started killed Jews em-masse. For example, the Shepherds Crusade was forcefully ended partially because the army attacked Jews and even the Inquisition's formation was partially motivated by the Church's wish to protect the Jews.

Jews were never liked by anyone in this time period, but the Muslim and Christian religious leaders were still quite protective of them (but only for their lives, they were not too fond of Jews holding much power: that's a luxury that should be reserved for the faithful).

Certainly more so than today.... wow that Francis guy..... I'm just waiting for him to call a Crusade.....

He meant compared to what the popular opinion is, not that they were Paragons of Virtue. Although even with the Crusades, "Killing Infidels" was not a motivation.

Just out of curiosity:
So i just booted all my jews, after taking out that huge loan because i did not feel like paying it back.
I just stole 500 pounds plus interest.
And i assume i did not give them time to sell any estate they had in my area (if i even allowed them to have real estate).
So i basically just booted a lot of Jews from my territory with little more than the cloth on their back.
And now the Jewry in the area they migrated to is also economically stressed to the braking point because they have to pay their duke for the newcomers rights to settle, houses, etc.
So where would those 500 pound come from?
They might be able to become valuable assets in the long run, but right then they are just a bunch of refugees demanding ressources instead of providing them.

I said I didn't want this to become a political discussion, that includes contesting historical claims.

Just game please.

Now that you mention Crusades.......There should be a random event during Crusades when your zealous population attack the Jews and force them to flee your country.

Now that you mention Crusades.......There should be a random event during Crusades when your zealous population attack the Jews and force them to flee your country.
I know of attacks, but i cannot remember any of those attacks resulting in an exodus of the Jewish community (though plenty that either decimated said community or left the ruler of the area with a lot of new 'converts').

It's a suggested gameplay mechanic, dear heart, not an attempt to be anything historically accurate. If you want realism, you should be far more concerned your army consists of one man on a horse as big as an entire county!

This should also apply to Muslims, Zoroastrians, Pagans, Dharmic Faithers, and even Orthodox/Miaphysite/Nestorian Christians too, not just the Jews. Because the Crusaders would kill/expel almost anyone who was a native to the region of the Crusade.

OT: Yeah, it's a little unrealistic, but it works for the game. Although I would like more events where there were "Secret Jews" that where discovered and then you could either realize that expelling the Jews was bad/a waste of time, or crack down even harder.

You also periodically get events after expelling the jews which drains tech points by a fairly hefty amount (-50 points every time it triggers).

This is a random one though, so you can get it several times after expelling them or not at all.

Expelling the Jews carries with it hidden opportunity costs.

For starters, you don't get talented Jews at court anymore. While I don't often employ them (I'm not appointing a spymaster with only +10 relations and who won't convert even if I land him), they have good educations, with all the attendant benefits of such.

Second, employed Jews at your court give bonus tech points via random events.

If you expel the Jews, you don't get access to these benefits anymore. Furthermore, the diplomacy penalty makes more of a difference in a post-CM world where vassal limits depend, in part, on diplomacy.

I actually am fine with the listed penalties as such. What I would prefer to see is that it is harder to invite the Jews back after you expel them. Of course, I would also like to see some granularity to Jewish mechanics. Jews allowed y/n hardly does the historical situation justice. :)

OT: Yeah, it's a little unrealistic, but it works for the game. Although I would like more events where there were "Secret Jews" that where discovered and then you could either realize that expelling the Jews was bad/a waste of time, or crack down even harder.

Why would that need to be represented outside of a general mechanic for all religions for those who "converted" for political reasons but kept their faith privately? It wasn't like there was some conspiracy of Jews infiltrating courts...