• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dearmad

Lt. General
72 Badges
Feb 16, 2001
forum.paradoxplaza.com
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Knights of Honor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
It doesn't have to be miraculous improvements, but some basic logic to it like:

Mention things my first born son does. Or my liege lord. Or STOP mentioning things endlessly about three headed cows and comets...
MODULATE the entry generation to match the level of our nobility, so the chronicle should realize that as an Emperor a LOT goes on, so less frivolous things can be dropped, that would be fine. But as a Count, of course you would likely have more things noted that, to an Emperor would seem trivial...

Wow, this feature is so poorly implemented it is embarrassing. No, worse, it is sad, because it such a possibly wonderful addition that just sits there... :wacko:

Some relatively easy fixes would go FAR... since it is such a mess right now.

DROP the random event mutan cow births and shit, the CLUTTER the thing SO BADLY!!!!

So during the below shown pages guess what happened that DID NOT get mentioned:
The Count, appointed Spymaster to his lord, the Duke, was sent on a military campaign for his lord to Barcelona to fight against the Moors.
Whilst there in the first battle of the campaign, he was captured. His Steward was appointed regent, and the possible vendetta there meant no ransom would be paid... but a quick matrilineal marriage for him to Siberia cleared that up: The WIFE was appointed regent, but due to her money grubbing ways, she REFUSED to allow him to be ransomed! So, he allowed her to take personal money from the treasury (which increased her feelings) and then she, as Regent, allowed him to return.

Upon his return he hired some mercenaries and, taking a false claim in hand, ransacked the neighboring county... uh yeah, a WAR I won was NOT MENTIONED!?

Now I know the intricacies of this exchange would be lost but the following entries would be how hard to implement!?:
[character name]'s Regent left the court in favor of a marriage to [character name] in [place].
[character name] was captured in [place] during the war of [war name] and held for two years before ransom was paid by his [regent name, relationship].

[name of war] was WON by [me] etc...

Come on, Paradox, what good is a Way of Life if it ain't written into a history?

gr.png

Reactions:
I, too, would really like to see the chronicle significantly improved. I'm not so down on the colourful omens and portents, especially if nothing of real note happened in a particular year.

Yep, it's a really disappointing feature. I was excited when I first saw it, but then after a few pages of clutter that I didn't care about I decided I'd rather have the EU3 history report back.

My all time favorite was playing a restoration of the Roman Empire. In the same year I ended the schism and restored the empire. However, none of that was mentioned. What was mentioned was me defeating the 13th (or w/e) Sunni rebellion. I don't know but I would say ended the schism and restoring the empire would be worth a small note in EVERY Christian ruler's book.

Would making it editable in-game be possible or helpful? I don't have CM so don't know if it's already editable.

OT: Leon seems to have quite the dragon problem.

Would making it editable in-game be possible or helpful? I don't have CM so don't know if it's already editable.

OT: Leon seems to have quite the dragon problem.
They might as well. If the chronicle on the EU4 endscreen is any indication (or whatever its called in EU4) the CK2 chronicle is never going to get any better.

If you are really interested in the chronicle, you will soon find a new mod thread about it.

*wink*

Nothing done, but I'm about to start a Vanilla Chronicle Overhaul Mod. Christmas equals free time~

I keep getting people dancing on the moon and two suns. BUT! I do like these ridiculous little random events. They just need to be less frequent and yes, the Chronicle as a whole could use some TLC.

If you are really interested in the chronicle, you will soon find a new mod thread about it.

*wink*

Nothing done, but I'm about to start a Vanilla Chronicle Overhaul Mod. Christmas equals free time~

Thank you. Thank you.

Just.

Thank you.

Thank you.

You may have any of my lands you see fit to occupy, my lord. Go hither and occupy said lands and prosper my lord.

Thank you.

*wink*

Is it that moddable?

Last edited:

*wink*

Awesome. I will certainly try it out.

One thing that bugs me about the chronicle is that every time you reload the chronicle starts again from page 1. For AAR purposes I want to know what events the chronicle has recorded and will then write down the rest as I go along. When you are 400 years down the line and have to trawl through pages and pages it is tedious....

What would be great is if you could flag events you wanted recorded in the chronicle somehow

I agree that the Chronicle being a disaster. I want to know:-

1. WHAT my Kingdom (or Duchy/County) did - attacks or attacked by, family changes, court changes, technology/building growth etc.
2. WHAT my vassals or liege did, especially if it effects me
3. WHAT happened in related Kingdoms/Duchies/Counties that are near to me or related to me.

All of this is information that I would have heard, in reality, from messengers, traders, soldiers etc.

Also, the log messages at the bottom of the screen are only held during the session. Some of this should be in the Chronicle, and it some of it should be retained, separately, from session to session.

Looking at the game.log we need to deal with those from (at least)

[character.cpp:24283]:
[characterinteraction.cpp:2268]:
[characterinteraction.cpp:3643]
[characterinteraction.cpp:3657]
[effectimplementation.cpp:5426]
[messagehandler.cpp:605]:

and somehow get a date on them.

Come on, it's still better than the Primary Chronicle, in which some years have "Nothing has happened this year" instead of a proper record.

The CKII chronicle also has "Nothing happened this year". It's just replaced by three-headed goats, comets, locusts or some nonsense. These seem like cute little flavour entries the first time you see them but they quickly become old and they really only replace a "nothing happened" text.