• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Morlow

Corporal
20 Badges
Dec 8, 2014
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
Hey all, I'm playing a game as Portugal and am colonizing the new world. I am the first Western power over there so far and am colonizing with no competition. New Portugal is getting rather large and I am not sure about mechanics with colonizing. Specifically, if I continue to make New Portugal larger and larger are they going to eventually want independence if they get too big? Just curious if I should continue to add on to their land or start another colony somewhere else. Thanks!

This early on they aren't going to want independence. If I were I would keep making them larger. Check the subjects tab to see the liberty desire as that's what's supposed to trigger independence.

Is New Portugal in the Caribbean? If not you should immediately start colonizing there and don't stop till you've got a nice size colonial nation going in the Carribean, to steer a nice fat stream of gold your way.

Caribean is always the first thing I colonize when playing as any colonizing nation.
The AI can barely handle all the islands so I don't think they should be much of a problem if they declare independence.

To be sure you might want to look at the east if you worry about them, though, and colonize the Ivory coast and the cape, and after that India or Indonesia.

Another couple questions. Why aren't my colonies smart enough to use their transports to transport their troops to come help me in wars? I have been in a few wars and none of my subjects ever come to help. Seems like it totally defeats the purpose of having them if they won't help in war. Their armies combined are almost as strong as mine alone. Also, they won't even attack their neighbors on the same continent when I declare war on them either. Am I missing something?

Another couple questions. Why aren't my colonies smart enough to use their transports to transport their troops to come help me in wars? I have been in a few wars and none of my subjects ever come to help. Seems like it totally defeats the purpose of having them if they won't help in war. Their armies combined are almost as strong as mine alone. Also, they won't even attack their neighbors on the same continent when I declare war on them either. Am I missing something?

I think the AI of CNs focus only on their own continent or different continent only if there is a land connection (i have never seen CN from south or north america go to Australia)

edit: also in my game they attack other CNs but they need some time to realize that (maybe they have lowered the army maintenance and they need time to rise it)

I did figure out that I just have to set their military to aggressive to have them attack their neighbors. It is quite disappointing that they will never help me out in wars though. What is the primary purpose of having CNs if they won't help you militarily? Just more trade power?

I did figure out that I just have to set their military to aggressive to have them attack their neighbors. It is quite disappointing that they will never help me out in wars though. What is the primary purpose of having CNs if they won't help you militarily? Just more trade power?

The hope is that they'll declare war on other CNs and thus expand themselves.

moar monies, and as portugal, your wars will msot liekly be over colonisation as well.

Ah that makes sense. Scotland has taken a few provinces by New Portugal. It would be great if I could fab a claim and vassalize them. ;)

Also, what are the requirements for a colony becoming a CN? My colony in South Africa is quite large, although the tax base is going to be pretty low. I'm guessing you have to reach a certain base tax?

Ah. So, what qualifies as "overseas"? I have some provinces that used to belong to Morocco, and a few of them are considered overseas even though the province right next to it is not, so the autonomy is stuck at 75%. Seems odd that half the provinces of Morocco are normal and half are overseas.

And how much tax am I actually receiving from my African colonies? I'm sure it's nowhere near the amount actually shown for Tax, but I don't know how much.

Overseas is everything that is not connected through land (with your capital) and is on another continent. There is however a small range - a number that im still looking for because apparently no one knows it exactly - that a province can be away from your capital and not count as overseas. Seems to be very small tho. Like 50-100 and doesnt seems to be related to your trade/colony range so it will stay as sucky all game long. There is also no "a little bit too far away". Once its too far it gets the massive 75% hit. Because making it scale with distance would make sense and we cant have that of course.

Sorry for the sour post but i just quit my Morocco game when i realized that the stupid mechanic will make my re-reconquista kinda pointless. :(

OK. I figured it had to be a certain distance from your capital or something like that but just wanted to find out. Now I kind of wish I hadn't diplo annexed Morocco but live and learn.

What is the best strategy for where to keep tariffs for my CNs? Should I try to keep their liberty desire just below 50% or are there events that could screw me if I set tariffs that high? Are there any other ways their liberty desire can go up?

They will start to want Independence if their liberty desire is at 50 and will automatically declare independence if it is at 100.

The most I've seen from event is +10 liberty desire. Although they are capable of revolting at 50% tarrifs, if you keep a strong military force around and have good relations with them, they should keep the "vassal" attitude with much higher tarrif values than that. However, I usually don't push them too high, because it's important to leave them enough income for them to colonize.
I think the only way for the liberty desire to increase apart from tarrifs and events is through war exhaustion. If you have high war exhaustion, your CNs will all start gaining liberty desire, but it should start falling to match the tarrifs once you've lowered your WE.

I'm surprised that I can't fabricate claims on my CN's neighbors. I know you get a CB when they first colonize by them but I can't get that claim back if I don't declare war in time. I was hoping to be able to do that.