• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There seems to be some kind of Y1K panic currently. Fingers crossed, that nothing bad will happen. :p

EDIT:

Wow. A lot of Edmunds incoming. I just want to state that the AI is to blame. :p

Last edited:
"The Gentle" surely refers to his willingness to gently spread the Christian faith amongst the heathen Germans? I mean, yes, technically thousands died, but it brought the Germans the possibility of salvation, so that's all worth it. Very gentle, in a love-thy-neighbor way. ;)

Good progress. Being more advanced in years than these young whippersnappers, I have no problem with a more measured pace of expansion. And anyway, no matter how disturbing that French blotch in Scotland is, do you really want to get yourself involved with the Welsh or the Scots? I think these are people best admired from a safe distance. :p

And anyway, no matter how disturbing that French blotch in Scotland is, do you really want to get yourself involved with the Welsh or the Scots? I think these are people best admired from a safe distance. :p

I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. :p

I knew the moment I saw Stuckenschmidt´s name that this would prove to be a good AAR. I was not surprised to learn I was right.:)

Congratulations Stucken, I've wanted to make an AAR for a while, but not managed to find a format I liked. Yours spoke to me, so I'm trying out a similar style in the AAR I just started.:)

Congratulations Stucken, I've wanted to make an AAR for a while, but not managed to find a format I liked. Yours spoke to me, so I'm trying out a similar style in the AAR I just started.:)

You are welcome. I still have an awful lot to do this week, so the next update will be on Saturday. But over the next two weeks I will have a decent amount of free time and we will see more progress. :)

Edmund II "the Holy"
(984 - 1024)

W21_zps73d923a7.png

Edmund II "the Holy" (also "the Mad") was born in 958 as son of King Wulfgar I "the Gentle" and Theodelinda Munichingi. He became Earl of Chester in 976 and King of England in 984 at the age of 26 years.

Edmund was married to Georgia of Caltavuturo, who probably originated from Sicily. They had six children:

Agatha (* 976)
Edmund (* 977; + 1020)
Aelfthryth (* 983)
Margaret (* 992)
Eadhburh (* 997)
Wulfgar (* 1000)

Edmund died on 2nd June 1024 for unknown reasons in Canterbury at the age of 66 years.

Succession

King Wulfgar I had two sons, Edward and Edmund. As oldest son Edward had become Earl of Surrey, but died young in 975, probably due to natural causes. He had no male heir, so Edmund was the next in the line of succession.

Nevertheless it took another year, before Edmund became a fief of his own, when Wulfgar granted him the County of Chester. There he ruled for another eight years until his father died and he became King.

Advance into Cornwall

The origin of the Kingdom of Cornwall is debated. Medieval sources claim, that it was established in the 3rd century under a King Caradog. But today it is assumed, that the Kingdom did appear in the aftermath of the Anglo-Saxon immigration. As of the early 8th century Cornwall was ruled by the Cerneu Clan and around 1000 King Gualter, although still a minor, did not only rule over Cornwall, but also holdings on Ireland.

In the previous two centuries the rulers of Wessex, respectively England, had focused on expanding northward until they reached today`s English-Scottish border. Edmund II turned his attention to the southwest and in 1004 he declared war on Gualter. After a short campaign, Gualter had to surrender and cede Devon to England in 1005.

Developments on the British Isles

While the Southwest saw an increase of English influence and Wales remained a highly fragmented territory, Scotland experienced severe political changes during this period of time.

In the 980s an invasion force from the Scandinavian Kingdom of Noregr made landfall in eastern Scotland. Not later than 990 the former Kingdom of Scotland was conquered. This event caused serious political and religious unrest during the following decades. After it had been a stronghold of the Waldensian faith in the 9th century, Scotland was firm in the catholic fold, when the invaders arrived. Shortly later the catholic population was ruled by a thin pagan elite. Until Edmund`s death there are three different sources concerning religiously motivated uprisings of the people.

The neighboring Catholic rulers regarded these developments as threat too, since the Kingdom of Noregr suddenly had a vast additional powerbase which could support further aggressive expansions on the British Isles. Throughout the 990s, the new rulers of Scotland lost territory to France in the north and England in the south, when the Duke of Northumbria invaded Dunbar, Lothian and Teviotdale. As of 1000 the situation calmed down, although the population still seemed to oppose a non-christian rule.

W25_zpsoaxkymz9-1.png
Fig. 14: The British Isles in 1024​

Compared to Scotland, the situation in Ireland was rather stable. The Kingdom of Laigin did unite the whole south of the island, while the Cerneu Clan, ruling Cornwall for almost three centuries already, were able to expand its Irish holdings in the center and west of the island.

Viking threat

While Scotland experienced religious unrest due to a pagan invasion, other parts of Europe passed through an opposite development. During the 3rd Crusade the former pagan realm of Saxony came under Christian influence and the new rulers sent missionaries to convert the population and diminish the influence of the old religion.

Around 990 the Irminsul (saxon for "Great Pillar"), a holy site of the old Germanic religion, was destroyed and a convent established at the same site. Although it remains unclear, whether the Irminsul was indeed a manmade pillar or a tree, the Christian influence severely increased in the region over the next decades and in the early 11th century northern Germany and Poland had been completely Christianized.

Scandinavia still defied Christianization attempts, although findings in southern Sweden suggest, that first believers were present in the area around 1000. Nevertheless the Viking threat to the British Isles did not diminish and in response to that further fortified places were established in the decades around 1000, such as Sherborne and Taunton.

Holy or Mad

Vast studies of the source material concerned the origins of Edmund`s epithets. The contemporary British sources describe him as a faithful follower of the Catholic church, seriously concerned about his salvation. His epithet "the Holy" is first mentioned in the late 1010s, and although the appropriate sources were often biased toward the ruling family, historians assume that Edmund was indeed a religious man whose displays of piety were sincere.

Other sources found in the Vatican Library describe him as "man of sick mind". Some historians point out, that the Investiture Controversy began in Edmund`s late years and that he did not support the Papal point of view, so the Vatican depicted him as a man of questionable morality and religious convictions.

Others interpret this source more literally and suggest, that Edmund suffered from a mental disorder. Although some stories concerning his reign such as the "Turnip Law" and the "Horse Chancellor" did not appear before the 13th century, people point out the frequent and long visits in Canterbury, a medieval pilgrimage destination for people seeking healing. The facts, that he died in Canterbury too and that there are no reports about physical disabilities, support this theory.

Aftermath

Regardless of whether Edmund II was a Saint or a Lunatic, he is one of the less known monarchs in English history, since his reign misses a popular genuine accomplishment. Although the construction of fortified places and universities continued, cities like Southampton and Scarborough experienced an economical boom and the foundation of large churches such as the Rochester Cathedral date to this period, Edmund could not put his stamp on British history.

England; a calm sea in messy relations on the British Isles.:p Good update.:)

The rulers that were remembered at the time were definitely conquerors. Still, the contributions of those stabilizing the realm cannot be overlooked either.

the Islands are ready for an English Overlord

Well, if Edmund was mad, the kingdom didn't suffer because of it - so at worst, he was not a bad ruler. At best: a quietly competent one. Perhaps a bit in the Claudius mold (except for the whole conquering Britain part)?

Hm, one of my daughters shows some weird behaviour. If something is wrong with her? Meh, I worry too much. What can possibly go wrong?

I love the way you try to explain the epithets. Good update

Edmund III
(1024 - 1053)

W24_zpstso3uvtn-1.png

Edmund III was born in 994 as the son of Edmund "Harelip" and Berchte. He became Earl of Westmorland in 1020 and King of England in 1024 at the age of 30 years.

Edmund was married two times. During his first marriage with Eadburg (+ 1034?) four children were born:

Aethelflaed (* 1016)
Eadhild (* 1031)
Margaret (* 1032)
Cyneswith (* 1034; + 1036)

Another five children were born during his second marriage with Douce de Mortemer:

Agatha (* 1037)
Eadburg (* 1041)
Beornflaed (* 1045)
Catarina (* 1047)
Aethelswith (* 1052)

Sources report about another daughter called Eanswith (* 1036?), but today historians assume that she was illegitimate.

Edmund died on 7th April 1053 near Salisbury at the age of 59 years.

Succession and early years

Edmund II "the Holy" had two sons. His older son, Edmund "Harelip", would have been his successor and was granted the County of Westmorland. But he died in 1020, so his oldest son Edmund became the new Earl of Westmorland and successor to the English throne.

It is believed, that Edmund III had to spend the first years of his reign to stabilize his rule. In 1026 he hosted a large Tournament in Westminster. In the early 11th century Tournaments had already turned from military exercise to chivalrous competition and, from Edmund`s point of view, a matter of prestige to present himself as confident ruler.

It is unknown, whether this event had a nameable impact, but Edmund could secure his rule. Nevertheless his reign seemed to have been haunted by loyalty issues. The chronicles insinuate, although rarely, that he had a difficult character and that there were rumors questioning his descent, which made him a respected, but not beloved ruler.

Expansion in the west

Edmund II had begun to push back the influence of the Welsh clans, when he had conquered the County of Devon from the Kingdom of Cornwall. Edmund III continued this policy and declared war on King Gualter of Cornwall in 1031. Although Gualter`s power base was mainly on Ireland, it took more than a year, before Edmund could finish the annexation of Cornwall. Gualter and the remnants of the ruling Cerneu Clan retired to their Irish holdings.

Just a few years later, Edmund turned his attention toward the Welsh Kingdom of Deheubarth. King Iolo Cavanez was the last "heretic" ruler on the British Isles, following the Fraticelli teachings. Hence Edmund declared a Holy War against Iolo and invaded with a force of approximately 12.000 soldiers. In a battle, which was probably fought near Caerwent, the army of Deheubarth was destroyed with combined casualties of about 10.000 soldiers. Already in the same year, the County of Ergyng was ceded to England.

Family strife

Two events from Edmund`s "family life" are known, which historians concentrate on. In 1037 his probably fifth daughter was born and her mother was his second wife Douce de Mortemer. There are no reports about what happened between 1034, when his fourth child Cyneswith 1034 was born, and 1037, but obviously Edmund`s first wife Eadburg disappeared.

The most common theory points out, that she simply died in childbirth, which was a constant threat to any woman giving birth to a child. Other historians argue, that she got divorced and hint at the fact, that her last child Cyneswith was the only one of Edmund`s numerous children, that died as an infant. According to sources, England was struck by a typhoid epidemic at that time, but some historians come to the conclusion, that Cyneswith might have been illegitimate and was murdered on behalf of Edmund.

The more serious event was the revolt of Edmund`s brother Eadmaer around 1041 / 1042. The Winchester Chronicle notes, that Eadmaer made landfall on the southern coast of England with an army of 10.000 soldiers and began to besiege Winchester Castle. Edmund was further to the north, gathering an army in order to meet his brother on the battlefield. But in early 1042 Eadmaer "suddenly died" and his army dispersed.

That Eadmaer tried to bring down his brother is an accepted fact among historians and his motivation is rather obvious. In 1041 Edmund had five living legitimate children, all of them daughters. Due to that, Eadmaer would have been his brother`s successor, but as it seems he had not been granted an own fief as it was common practice for the designated successor. Obviously Edmund still hoped for a male child despite being in his late forties already.

The more disputed question is, who did support Eadmaer. Historians point out, that the "made landfall"-passage really indicates, that he had gathered an army outside the British Isles and today the "Crusade"-theory is the most popular. In 1041 a new Crusade had begun to liberate southern Spain from Muslim rule. It is believed, that Eadmaer took the cross with the intent to gather an army among the Crusaders and return to England to seize the throne. Gathering point for all Crusaders and the only place to obtain a large fleet was the Kingdom of Castille. It is still debated, whether Blanca, Queen of Castille, supported Eadmaer, but many historians assume it, since her own reign was not unchallenged and she needed strong allies.

Anyway Eadmaer died a few months after his arrival and many authors assume that his sudden death was not natural. The threat to Edmund`s reign was gone, but the succession still not settled. In 1048, after the birth of another two daughters and at the age of more than 50 years, Edmund made his nephew Sigeberht, Eadmaer`s son, Earl of Ergyng, which is seen as his designation as successor to the throne.

Developments on the British Isles

The 10th and early 11th century was the "founding period" in the English medieval, were numerous new castles and cities were established. During Edmund`s reign this development came to a stop. Instead of the foundation of new settlements, existing ones got improved. Fortified places such as Bedford Castle and Colchester Castle received improved fortifications. Southampton gained the status of the most important commercial port in England while the rise of London as trade center dates to the reign of Edmund III.

Due to Edmund`s campaigns in the 1030s, Wales saw the end of the Kingdom of Deheubarth. Simultaneously with England, the Kingdom of Gwynedd had declared war on Deheubarth and in 1037 the remnants of the latter were annexed. With the fall of Deheubarth, the end of the Fraticelli movement was also close. Pope Felix IV ordered a vast amount of missionaries and inquisitors to the area and in the early 1040s the last "heretic" strongholds were destroyed.

W27_zpssorqbws4-1.png
Fig. 15: The British Isles in 1053​

When Edmund ascended to the throne, the larger part of Scotland was ruled by the Kingdom of Norge, but constant rebellions shook the country. During the next three decades, southern Scotland got politically fragmented, when several small entities such as the Kingdom of Manaw obtained independence.

In Ireland a bloody struggle between the most powerful Clans continued. The Cerneu Clan, which had lost its holdings in Cornwall, established the Kingdom of Meath in the west of the island. But the Eóganacht-Clan, ruling the Kingdom of Laigin, was more successful in expanding its territory and by 1050 it controlled the largest realm Ireland had seen until then.

Last years and death

In the decade from the end of Eadmaer`s invasion, Edmund focused on domestic policies. Interesting is a display of religious tolerance, for it is known, that he had Jewish advisors in his "inner circle".

Apart from that Edmund, just like his predecessors, had to deal with the constant Viking raids. It is believed that these raids, also still frequent, posed less a threat than in the 9th or 10th century due to improved fortifications and garrisons. Nevertheless the King was expected to secure the country along the coastlines. In 1053 he led an army towards Devon, but he died near Salisbury, probably due to old age.

Aftermath

Edmund III is widely seen as ambivalent character. Historians point out, that he was a pragmatic administrator and military leader, who began the decades-long struggle for the control of Wales. The general public is rather interested in his family affairs, that have been thematized in several TV series and historical novels. Especially the question, whether he has ordered the death of his wife, daughter and brother has stimulated the fantasy of authors and readers. Despite, or maybe due to the fact that the answer to this question will never be known, he remains one of the more well-known characters in English history.

'Ambivalent' eh? I'd say a pretty successful reign myself

Question: didn't he take Deheubarth? Looks like on the map it still belongs to Wales

Question: didn't he take Deheubarth? Looks like on the map it still belongs to Wales

Partially. One half was annexed by England, the other by Gwynedd (dark brown). I am curious whether Laigin will gain one more county, since it could form Ireland then.

An interesting reign, that one!

I understand now why you were warning us of the incoming flood of Edmunds. :)

Another good reign and another good update. I really like how you take snippets from the game and use them to liven up the narrative, such as the reference to Jewish advisors.

As far as nefarious interfamily conspiracies go, we all know that it was really Livia who did it, as she's been murderizing her way through history ever since she first married Augustus. :p