• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A further point, I'm well past the "viking era" being in the 1160s. By the late 900s my friend as Ireland and I as England had kicked out all the norse occupying the British Isles and I had even conquered the small islands to the north of Scotland and Iceland. It was about then the raiding more or less stopped. Now, I constantly have a bunch of raiders at once, so much so that at speed 2 I have little time to do something else than move armies to crush them.

2014-12-18_00001.jpg

2014-12-18_00002.jpg

By the way, if it matters, I believe they are not reformed as the only message of reformed pagans I got was for the Tengri.

I get raided a lot as Wessex. Typical tactic to stop them is move my army into position and then pop the levies to keep the enemy from running. Win or lose, I usually get my main army there to take them out. Still, I think there should be some bonuses after stopping so many raiders, like pointed out previously.

Alternatively, you could just befriend the pope and get him to declare some Crusades on those bastards. That'll stop raiding in no time.

I started a Frisia campaign before the patch and was wondering why the heck vikings weren't vikinging. Now, the change is very noticeable and I actually like it. I got a good reason to christianize Scandinavia. It brings me a lot of fun to watch how early christian petty kingdoms get wiped out by prepared invasions from other norse states (like Holmgardr) only to be replaced with new ones.

Since I am Bavaria with no coast I had not seen any sign of them until one turned up in Munich in 1039, having come up the Danube, so they have got the settings for Vikings to use rivers working. A pity that we don't get the option to build ships on rivers, but then the Viking ships are very light and can be carried across land.

I also had the issue of the Norse suddenly becoming very active, and I love it. No more boring stuff when the Norsemen raid nothing but just sit in the north and does nothing. I like it much more when the Vikings are actually coming over and doing stuff rather than just waste the whole Viking Age on doing nothing.

So I would think that Paradox have fixed an issue here.

There had been a line in a file (defines.lua I think) that stopped raiding when the realm size got above 24. Either through growth, going feudal, or converting, raiding tended to stop by 1050 or so. They could have upped the realm size limit in addition to tweaking the aggressiveness to have many more raids going on at once.

There had been a line in a file (defines.lua I think) that stopped raiding when the realm size got above 24. Either through growth, going feudal, or converting, raiding tended to stop by 1050 or so. They could have upped the realm size limit in addition to tweaking the aggressiveness to have many more raids going on at once.

But when you past the viking age and they still raid you (btw, I'm the guy playing Ireland), it's odd. Since they don't plan stopping raiding us, we'll have no other choice than holy war them and introduce them to Christianity. It will be wasted time, money and soldiers on them when we were busy dismantling the Empire of Francia, that cover Hispania to Italy.

In my game I've restored the hispanic empire... and now I'm constantly getting bothered with whack-a-raid. The vikings gets crushed as soon as they land, but they never learn and there are just SO MANY of them, requiring quite a bit of micromanagement. I can't wait till catholisism finally takes over Scandinavia. Right now raiding frequency is just rediculous.

This has pretty much broken the game - or at least made it very boring to play. Why? Hardly anyone is declaring wars anymore because they're dealing with Raiders. I brought up the war ledger and there's nothing going on in the world except for a few wars where Raiders don't raid (India) and some revolts here and there. In my game the Abbasids took Mauretania early on and I suspect they are being raided there. Abbasid Emperor is raising armies all the time to deal with the Raiders and they simply have no time to declare a Holy War on anyone. Same for Byzantines, etc... Instead of blobbing, the game is now totally stagnant because everyone is playing whack-a-mole with the Norse.

Paradox, please reduce the amount of Norse raiding, just a little bit! Playing Lotharingia, I got a Liberation of Frisia event army pop up in Holland. It took lots of money and manpower to defeat, but I finally did it. In the meantime, the Norse just went bonkers and all sent their ships after my lands. During the Liberation and after, I was being raided by about 8 different realms at the same time.

Raiding done by other religions could use a boost, tho. I have never seen the AI do land-based raiding in CK2.

It's not Way of Life doing this, it's the Charlemagne expansion. Before Charlemagne Viking raids were just annoying. Not they're an absolute pain in the arse. I quit a West Francia game the other day which I was really enjoying because I just couldn't take it anymore. There was literally not a single moment where one county or another wasn't being raided and they don't just raid the unprotected loot and leave, they land with 1,500 men and smash all the castles, cities and churches. I like the raiding mechanic but come on, there's like 500 raids per year that goes on for centuries and centuries.

But it's quite historical, isn't it? The vikings were a big pain in the ass back then.
My frisian kingdom stretches from Leon to Jylland, so that's basically me who bears the grunt of viking raids, and I like it. Besides, my vassals usually manage to fend off raid parties.

It's not Way of Life doing this, it's the Charlemagne expansion. Before Charlemagne Viking raids were just annoying. Not they're an absolute pain in the arse. I quit a West Francia game the other day which I was really enjoying because I just couldn't take it anymore. There was literally not a single moment where one county or another wasn't being raided and they don't just raid the unprotected loot and leave, they land with 1,500 men and smash all the castles, cities and churches. I like the raiding mechanic but come on, there's like 500 raids per year that goes on for centuries and centuries.

Our experience of play with the Charlemagne DLC in the same game, a bit earlier, had next to no viking raid, it is only once we loaded up the game with the new patch and WoL that they went crazy. So that's a bit weird, perhaps had we started a new game we would have experience this increased viking aggressiveness?

But it's quite historical, isn't it? The vikings were a big pain in the ass back then. My frisian kingdom stretches from Leon to Jylland, so that's basically me who bears the grunt of viking raids, and I like it. Besides, my vassals usually manage to fend off raid parties.

Perhaps, but we are now nearing the end of the 12th century, there is no more attrition to invade pagan lands and since the norsemen are not united they are a pushover in an actual war. In retaliation I did a Holy War for Jylland which consisted of placing armies to siege and watch puny armies crossover in a futile attempt to attack me. At some point they should be getting the message that not only the raids are very high risk but that they cannot possibly survive against those they are aggravating.

On a gameplay note, endlessly micromanaging my troops just to keep the status quo is boring. Especially with the diminished retinues, I can't have multiple stacks, so I have to either move around my retinue a lot or raised/disband troops for every occasion. Its more tedious than a war, without any of the tension.

This has pretty much broken the game - or at least made it very boring to play. Why? Hardly anyone is declaring wars anymore because they're dealing with Raiders. I brought up the war ledger and there's nothing going on in the world except for a few wars where Raiders don't raid (India) and some revolts here and there. In my game the Abbasids took Mauretania early on and I suspect they are being raided there. Abbasid Emperor is raising armies all the time to deal with the Raiders and they simply have no time to declare a Holy War on anyone. Same for Byzantines, etc... Instead of blobbing, the game is now totally stagnant because everyone is playing whack-a-mole with the Norse.

This doesn't really work. The AI could theoretically make millions of decisions a second if it were using the CPU to its fullest. They are never too busy, and 1000 person raiding parties, for one, won't capture your territory, and two, aren't really crap against a Muslim/Byzantine blob.

This doesn't really work. The AI could theoretically make millions of decisions a second if it were using the CPU to its fullest. They are never too busy, and 1000 person raiding parties, for one, won't capture your territory, and two, aren't really crap against a Muslim/Byzantine blob.

You misunderstand. If a raider lands in Abbasid territory, the Emperor will raise some levies and march them to take out the raiders. This action can take a few months. During this time the Emperor cannot declare war (because he has raised levies). While that's happening another raider or two lands. He has to march again to the new provinces to take them out. This can go one and on with no end in sight - as the human players are seeing (i.e. whack a mole). Yes, the Emperor can take care of all the Raiders given time - but while he's doing that he can't declare any wars. He can't expand.

OMG, the game is so slow and boring now because I have to deal with at least a half-dozen Viking raids every year. I wonder if the devs know how tedious it is to summon your army, move it, wait for the Vikings to fully leave your land (or lose half your army when you unsummon it - REALLY STUPID) and then unsummon it only to have ot do the same thing a minute later. The game drags on soooo much now. This raiding mechanic officially sucks now it its current state.

They were really annoying in my ERE game. Every few months or so they would pop up in Constantinople and nearby provinces. After I placed my cataphract retinues around the capital, they never dared to pillage again.

Playing a game as Brittany at the moment, and it's been non-stop raiding for the entire game. Stacks of 1000 sieging down your holdings fully if you don't do anything about it. If you go off to fight a war then it leaves your holdings without levy garrisons and makes it easier to pillage. You have to basically just run back and forth scaring or fully killing viking raiders while trying to win wars.

There's historical accuracy and then there's tedious game mechanics. It would be nice if it could be toned down a bit. It's gotten to the point where I simply cannot be bothered to defend my holdings anymore since it's causing wars and the game overall to drag on with tedious raising and lowering of troops and boats all the time.

HrNabcz.jpg

So far, I don't really mind the heightened raiding, but as many have said, it would be nice if the AI were a little more intelligent about it's raiding. I like the idea about how repelling enough raids would grant a vassal opinion bonus and the norse raiders would gain an aversion to raiding your land due to the high risk involved.

On a side note, does anyone know if the game allows you to create the Varangian Guard when playing as Byzantium?