• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I like it, but its pretty laggy and no ironman from there?

Needs to be improved. Or maybe make it like HOI3 where it loads the suggested scenarios but if you go for a normal game it remembers and loads the map screen automatically

I hate the new way to load the game as well. It adds another screen that has no additional utility. It makes previewing saves unneccessarily difficult as well. I mean, previously, you just clicked on a save an it showed you the map. Now you have to open the list again, chose the right save and load it. And if it's not the right one... Well, you better have remembered, because the list doesn't highlight which one it is.

So far, I can barely see a change since 2.1.6 that actually improves the game, save for bugfixes, but many incomprehensible ones that make it more frustrating.

I'd add it is also very mod unfriendly. You can't easily add custom bookmarks to it and the first two eras are blocked without the relevent DLC even if the mod is a total conversion which doesn't have CM/ToG start dates. So yeah, please let us disable it.

I do agree. This thread gives the feeling of a coming peasant uprising.

I don't like it either. Maybe have it as a feature for new players of some kind of tutorial worth or something. As it is, it irritates me.

Exactly, it should be entirely optional. I personally find it very annoying to go through every time I load.
CK2 needs a settings launcher, where you can disable some of the more questionable features Paradox added/changed.

I agree it discourages players from choosing a neat custom date, there are many cool hidden years in the game people don't use.
I just start every game at the earliest possible start date, so for me personally the start dates are useless. For those that do use later starts though, it is not very helpful since it only lists 4(?) of the dates. If Paradox wants to be of any help at all to the players on this issue, at least list all the start dates like the main ones on that screen. Descriptions, pictures and everything.

Reactions:
It is indeed very annoying when you want to load a game and simply annoying when you want to start a new game. It might be nice once when you launch the game for the very first time, but after that it should be optional.

I posted this to the "Suggestions" subforum, since I didn't see anything else about it there already.
That's about as useful as sending a message in a bottle.

+1s all around.

I wish they would remove it altogether. Or tie it to whether you have disabled hints. I have no use for it, and always click through to the full bookmark selection screen.

When it first released I was still in the habit of clicking the Single Player button to load games, so I kept opening the era screen which took 30+ seconds to load. It was extremely annoying then, and even after I got used to clicking Load Game the screen still opened if you picked the wrong game save and had to go back. Why is it so intrusive and laggy? It should be subtle and only open when you specifically want to start a new game.

Yeah. Bookmarks were just fine. Recycled event pictures for a slightly narrower list of starting eras is redundant. It also dumbs the game down to a narrower selection of key players per era (usually the most powerful or close), where everything else is a 'custom setup'. The original mood of the game was everything goes, everything is the intended setup of the game but here are some hints. Mass market appeal, I guess.

In any case, I'd like an option to switch that menu off.

The idea behind the "Choose Your Starting Era" screen wasn't bad. After all, most people ignore everything but the earliest starting date. Unfortunately, that happens in pretty much every 4X or strategy game (how often did you start Civ games in anything but the Ancient era?). A better way to do it is to create achievements that require later starting dates (like Way of Life has done for different foci). As it is, the current era chooser serves to annoy more than to inform.

I suppose it could be on by default, to remind players that there *is* more than the earliest start date, but there should be way to disable it in the options or even by editing the .ini file.

The idea behind the "Choose Your Starting Era" screen wasn't bad. After all, most people ignore everything but the earliest starting date. Unfortunately, that happens in pretty much every 4X or strategy game (how often did you start Civ games in anything but the Ancient era?). A better way to do it is to create achievements that require later starting dates (like Way of Life has done for different foci). As it is, the current era chooser serves to annoy more than to inform.

I suppose it could be on by default, to remind players that there *is* more than the earliest start date, but there should be way to disable it in the options or even by editing the .ini file.

Yes, and it doesnt even list all the characters in each era. Just the "interesting" ones.

Reactions: