• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

balmung60

Field Marshal
101 Badges
Jan 20, 2013
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Victoria 2
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
As stated in the title, for cultures (Russian, Norse, etc.) that have the wooden fort castle graphics, while these are nice for the early game, it would be nice to see them change over to stone instead of sticking with their wooden forts for 700 years.

Reactions:
Upvote 0
You know I would totally buy an extra holding portraits DLC. I spend a lot of time looking at those little pictures as I click around on holdings and provinces.

If I recall the old, more flavorful, building names (please bring those back), the level 2 fort was Stone Walls, which would make it an appropriate transition point.

I was thinking by date at first since that's how they did the early/mainline clothing thing.

I would like to see that.
Also, more diverse settlements for other characters. For Byzantines and Russians perhaps?

Agreed, but why did they remove the old building names in the first place?

Wood or stone in the holding icon does not necessarily reflect the material used — read descriptions on Walls, Towns, keeps maybe, and you'll see.
That doesn't matter. What matters is that it looks wrong for the number 1 advanced civilisation in the known world to have wooden castles because they're Norse.

That doesn't matter. What matters is that it looks wrong for the number 1 advanced civilisation in the known world to have wooden castles because they're Norse.

No, it does matter, and you're contradicting yourself. The tooltip for castle upgrades mentions wood first regardless where you're located (including the default western/southern stone-looking places) and stone for the higher upgrades, wherever you are — including Scandinavia or anything with the Norse culture, even tribals, even Mongols and other nomads. You could argue that pictures of wooden strongholds are mismatched for later eras or highly upgraded castles, but that's a different thing.

You could argue that pictures of wooden strongholds are mismatched for later eras or highly upgraded castles, but that's a different thing.
It's not a different thing. That's what this entire thread is about. The title says "graphics" not tooltip. You're the one bringing up random stuff that isn't even on-topic. What you said doesn't matter because that's not what the OP's problem is.

i am more concerned with stone castle everywhere in 769 or 867 when there were just no castle at all or wooden ones. but yes, every holding gfx should evolve the same way palaces evolve.

the on map 3D gfx should also change depending on the level of technology/developpement of the capital holding.

It's not a different thing. That's what this entire thread is about. The title says "graphics" not tooltip. You're the one bringing up random stuff that isn't even on-topic. What you said doesn't matter because that's not what the OP's problem is.

Take your attitude elsewhere please. I'm not going to waste any more words on you other than saying this: if you can't see the thematic link between wood/stone graphics and wood/stone tooltips, then you just don't want to see it, or have some other problem. For typical westerners, BYZ etc. the game shows stone graphics even where the tooltip says wood. For the Norse, it does the opposite. The graphics don't correspond 1:1 with what material your stuff is built of in the province.

Take your attitude elsewhere please. I'm not going to waste any more words on you other than saying this: if you can't see the thematic link between wood/stone graphics and wood/stone tooltips, then you just don't want to see it, or have some other problem. For typical westerners, BYZ etc. the game shows stone graphics even where the tooltip says wood. For the Norse, it does the opposite. The graphics don't correspond 1:1 with what material your stuff is built of in the province.
The graphics not corresponding is the OP's problem. Learn how to read.

I assume there is a place in the game files where you can manually change the holding appearance for each culture. Wood to stone castles, for example, or any other caste/town/temple graphics which might be preferred. Where is that? I have looked for it myself, but could never find it. Some mods seem able to customize which holding appearance is used, but I have no idea how they do it.

I assume there is a place in the game files where you can manually change the holding appearance for each culture. Wood to stone castles, for example, or any other caste/town/temple graphics which might be preferred. Where is that? I have looked for it myself, but could never find it. Some mods seem able to customize which holding appearance is used, but I have no idea how they do it.

They are in gfx/interface folder. Their filenames start with "placeholder".