During US dayraids over Germany late ww2 they bombed Aircraft Factories.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

wolf1455

General
75 Badges
Apr 19, 2008
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Knights of Honor
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Empire of Sin
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Victoria 2
  • Prison Architect
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Divine Wind
And they know where the different aircrafts where built. As we no can (in HOI4 ) have a equipment war, will we also being able to strike at specific equipment factories?
And again I put in the question of statistic, will we know how much equipment we and the enemy looser? Or an estimate anyway.

It has already been stated that damage to factories will automatically affect the lowest production line on the list first. Unless you specifically want to affect that one line, there is no way to target specific equipment production.

I would assume that we can see out own production figures, and possibly any material losses. Seeing enemy losses, or estimating them, is a very question.

It has already been stated that damage to factories will automatically affect the lowest production line on the list first. Unless you specifically want to affect that one line, there is no way to target specific equipment production.

I would assume that we can see out own production figures, and possibly any material losses. Seeing enemy losses, or estimating them, is a very question.

I don't think that's actually true. We know that factories are split into "general, military, and naval" Presumably these will have physical locations on the map, so you should be able to hit military production or naval production directly just by bombing those places. It'll still be the lowest item on the "military" production list, but it should happen.

What Kovax said :). I agree it'd be great to be able to target specific factories (at least by region), but it might be a bit too much micro. As you say, we'll see - only 3 or so months off if we're lucky, and even if it's delayed it won't be long :).

I don't think that's actually true. We know that factories are split into "general, military, and naval" Presumably these will have physical locations on the map, so you should be able to hit military production or naval production directly just by bombing those places. It'll still be the lowest item on the "military" production list, but it should happen.

Even though you have Civil, Naval, Military factories it doesnt really change the fact that you will affect the production line from the bottom up. Ofcourse you can specify which of those three types you want to target but bombing Germanies Military factories could till affect either Tanks, TDs, Arty, Small arms, Fighters, Bombers, CAS or whatever else they produce depending on which is lowest on the list. Ofcourse also compared to number of factories you put out of order and total factories in the lines you can affect more lines.
I dont think its a bad compromise. Having Civil, Naval and Military split will make it way easier to target the type of production you want compared to HoI3. Also i wouldnt suspect that you as Germany will be able to just ignore one type of equipment just not being produced anymore or taking a major hit to production. So it might translate into a need to shift factories around and take production efficiency hits to fix the situation.

I don't think we will be able to target specific industries, The US bomber boxes had 100's of planes and bombed an area not targeting specific buildings. As the war went on their ability to target certain industries improved. Throughout the war until 45 German industrial output increased year on year.

It was only later that they went after specific targets, Oil refineries and ball bearing manufacturers which really started to affect Germany.

I don't think we will be able to target specific industries, The US bomber boxes had 100's of planes and bombed an area not targeting specific buildings. As the war went on their ability to target certain industries improved. Throughout the war until 45 German industrial output increased year on year.

It was only later that they went after specific targets, Oil refineries and ball bearing manufacturers which really started to affect Germany.

Their ability to target certain industries is questionable...Their ability to wipe out dense populated cities is not !

Something that was always missing from the HoI games...along with a dozin other things...

Their ability to target certain industries is questionable...Their ability to wipe out dense populated cities is not !

Something that was always missing from the HoI games...along with a dozin other things...

What are you talking about? I can bomb any country's IC to almost zero if all their IC is in range of my bombers in HOI3. I can even logistically bomb any country's fuel and supply stockpile to zero given enough time to bomb the capital.

Strategic bombers in HOI3 were almost too powerful.

My impression is that apart from the general/military/naval split, lines are not tied to specific locations---every day, factories are assigned to production orders starting at the top of the list, moving to the next when the order's factory quota is met. Then each factory produces a day's worth of the assigned product.

So basically like HoI3 apart from the equipment system allowing you to produce by the item instead of only by entire brigades/divisions.

I don't think we will be able to target specific industries, The US bomber boxes had 100's of planes and bombed an area not targeting specific buildings.

They DID target specific industries and factories, but they used area bombing since bombing accuracy was so poor they had to saturate the area the factory was in in order to make sure it was actually hit. About only 20% of dropped bombs during daylight raids hit within the targeted area, so saturation was a must. But still, they targeted specific industrial complexes, hoping that enough bombs landed there to destroy it.

And they know where the different aircrafts where built. As we no can (in HOI4 ) have a equipment war, will we also being able to strike at specific equipment factories?
And again I put in the question of statistic, will we know how much equipment we and the enemy looser? Or an estimate anyway.
It doesn't look like it would be possible.
Because as far as I can see it, all production capabilities are still summed up in one pool from wich you assign different amount to different production.

It would be cool though if you could gain such info about where wich production is done and then just bomb that area.

There was a comfortable myth that US raids over Germany (unlike British night-time raids, which would take a city-centre as their target) were targeted. The simple fact (as Max Hasting's explained in Armageddon) is that their accuracy was in the main little better - not least because of lot of their bombing raids were carried out in poor visibility conditions.

Strategic bombing in WW2 should, in game-terms, damage industry and other facitilities in a target province indiscriminately. More targeted stuff requires TAC/NAV/Dive-bombers.

Production lines were concentrated and thus it´s not like bombing a province with 10 IC should give a malus to production of lots of stuff. At least not ALL the time.

IIRC the Tiger factory in Kassel was bombed and DID delay Tiger production. US complexes were concentrated, so not a single city build tanks AND aircraft in big numbers at the same time. So while targetting might not be 100% directed, it´s not like it was impossible to impact specific industries in some way.

Production lines were concentrated and thus it´s not like bombing a province with 10 IC should give a malus to production of lots of stuff. At least not ALL the time.

IIRC the Tiger factory in Kassel was bombed and DID delay Tiger production. US complexes were concentrated, so not a single city build tanks AND aircraft in big numbers at the same time. So while targetting might not be 100% directed, it´s not like it was impossible to impact specific industries in some way.

The Tiger factory was hit as part of the 1943 offensive against Hamburg, I think it was an RAF night raid that did the main damage but I could be mistaken.

We´ll have to see what Paradox will do because there should be a trade-off between investing more in the Luftwaffe and therefore having a batter production by concentrating factories, and having to split to protect from strategic bombardment.

If AI/player decides to concentrate then targetting specific production should be possible/way more effective. I think the more interesting situation is how to allow Germany to do strategic bombardment versus UK and soviets.

They DID target specific industries and factories, but they used area bombing since bombing accuracy was so poor they had to saturate the area the factory was in in order to make sure it was actually hit. About only 20% of dropped bombs during daylight raids hit within the targeted area, so saturation was a must. But still, they targeted specific industrial complexes, hoping that enough bombs landed there to destroy it.

Well obviously, I meant they didnt go for specific factories, They know in a certain area around x city are tank producing factories so the bombed roughly that area, I was not saying that they bombed at random....

Strategic bombing in WW2 should, in game-terms, damage industry and other facitilities in a target province indiscriminately. More targeted stuff requires TAC/NAV/Dive-bombers.

Aye, fully agree - but if it was possible to learn through intelligence which production lines were in which province (or state - I suspect strategic bombing will be state-based, based on nothing more than a gut feeling), then it would be possible to focus on a state that might have more tank or aircraft lines, for example. The Germans definitely had a crack at knocking out aircraft factories during the Battle of Britain, for example (but weren't terribly accurate, so didn't do a great job).