• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Black_Shade

General
94 Badges
Jun 11, 2004
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Ancient Space
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • King Arthur II
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
Playing as Venice. I'd like to get my hands on the two minor cities that the Doge of Venice starts with as vassals. I'm not actually sure this is possible.

- You can't excommunicate anymore- I had one vassal who the pope hated, while I had the pope at +100, and it was still a no go on excommunication. Might as well remove this feature from the game if it's not possible to do if the pope has +100 with you and -100 with the other person.

- If you park your priest in the province and get them branded as heretics, nothing happens. Apparently you need medium crown authority to do something with this, which is not helpful as a Republic.

- You can't grant them independence and then declare war

- You can't get a claim on a province you already own (or at least I didn't get one sitting my chancellors there for over 100 years, which is basically 0 probability to occur if his skill is >20).

Any ideas? The only possible way I think of is if you can imprison them somehow, but I've kept my spymasters parked there scheming for over 100 years hoping they would join some plot against anyone, but no luck on that either.

Imprisonment revolt is pretty much the only way, and that /never/ happens. I looked into this a while back, and came to the same conclusion - not really possible, very frustrating.

Maybe if you switch to a Heresy, revoke and then switch back? Fabricate Claim only works for County and Duchy titles. All that Heretic event does is give everyone a -30 opinion of him - it doesn't actually brand him a Heretic.

- You can't excommunicate anymore- I had one vassal who the pope hated, while I had the pope at +100, and it was still a no go on excommunication. Might as well remove this feature from the game if it's not possible to do if the pope has +100 with you and -100 with the other person.

Check out the maluses. Do you have Free Investiture, for example?

If you manage to become a different religion than the mayors of the cities you should be able to grand them independence.
Another alternative would be to transfer Vassalage of them to somebody outside your de jure area and then grant independence to that party after which you declare war on them for the city.

Can't you just revoke them and eat the tyranny hit?

Republics cannot revoke or imprison without having a valid reason. No tyranny allowed.

Quendorsof said:
If you manage to become a different religion than the mayors of the cities you should be able to grand them independence.
Another alternative would be to transfer Vassalage of them to somebody outside your de jure area and then grant independence to that party after which you declare war on them for the city.

So both of these scenarios works, but with a bit of a wrinkle in one case. In my game Venice had gone to Cathar, and I had left it there in the hope that the mayors might flip to Cathar as well, but I tried converting myself quickly and was able to then grant them independence. You can then Holy War them to get the city, then flip back to Catholic.

For the granting them to someone outside of your de jure territory, this also works, but you must have a trading post in the province. This is because the other CBs simply make the target your vassal again, so you need a trading post to be able to use a CB that gives you direct control of the territory (like Holy War does).

Last edited: