• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Woody Red

Captain
8 Badges
Oct 31, 2014
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
Ive read differing opinions on this. common sense would say having multiple lines using the same stops would be benefical in that passengers could change from one service to another directly.

however some people say this clogs up the stops (especially metro stops) - and Ive also read of some kind of bug that makes passengers act strangely when multiple lines use the same stops.

Ive been having multiple lines use the same stops and havent noticed any problems - but then Im a noob and Ive only just started playing this game.

what is the common consensus on this ?

Having more than one line using a stop is fine, just make sure there is enough space between the stop and an intersection so you don't get jams. If two, or more lines have several stops in common do NOT expect the cims to take whichever bus/train/whatever that comes next. They will line up for a particular line even if two or three others will be coming first.

Please understand one very important thing about this game. cims do not behave rationally nor do they follow the time tables- they rely instead on average wait time. If you have two or more lines intersect in several loocations (not necessarily using the same stops, just having stops within a certain radius of each other) will cause the cims to get off one line, walk to a different line, take that line 1 stop and hop back on the original line.

Having more than one line using a stop is fine, just make sure there is enough space between the stop and an intersection so you don't get jams. If two, or more lines have several stops in common do NOT expect the cims to take whichever bus/train/whatever that comes next. They will line up for a particular line even if two or three others will be coming first.

Please understand one very important thing about this game. cims do not behave rationally nor do they follow the time tables- they rely instead on average wait time. If you have two or more lines intersect in several loocations (not necessarily using the same stops, just having stops within a certain radius of each other) will cause the cims to get off one line, walk to a different line, take that line 1 stop and hop back on the original line.

I am not sure if two people would be enough for consensus but I agree with kensternation. I used the multi-line correspondence scheme with some degree of success as well. However said quirks of cim-passenger behavior eventually kick in no matter how well the routes are planned. Similarly cim-drivers also have little in the way of rationale as they would take an exit off of a fluid highway, (needlessly) go through an intersection only to merge to the very same highway within a few hundred feet.

If you follow the travels of CIMs, either by car or public transport, you will witness all kinds of weird journeys. It's best not examine these things too closely, or you won't enjoy playing the game.:wub:

Yeah, wouldn't it be great if we could just ignore the problems and enjoy it. Unfortunately, some of them can't be reliably avoided, and can't be ignored. Prime example of the broken pathfinding is the frequent deadlock between trams on the avenue median and pedestrians at junctions. The pedestrians get stuck and go into a swarm-circle because the tram is in the way, and the tram gets stuck because of the pedestrian swarm-circle. That and the broken pathfinding for cars causing the roads to spiral into irrecoverable gridlock.

I have to say that ultimately I do feel very let down by CO on this, now that it seems like there's absolutely no hope of that particular game-breaking bug ever being addressed. It has stopped me buying any more of the DLC, as I just don't see the point in buying more content for a game where the frustrations basically put me off playing it. I really like CIM & CIM2, in overall concept, but can't face playing CIM2 most of the time because the broken pathfinding is simply too annoying.

The experience with CIM2 is certainly going to make me think more than twice before buying their next sim. :angry:

I was hoping that CO would continue to support, and hopefully upgrade the game, it still has huge potential for development. That's why I purchased ALL the DLCs to support them! As the original post stated 'I feel cheated' just about sums up my feelings. I will definitely think twice about purchasing any new game from CO! :sad:

@Woody Red @Murph9000 If you want to build a satisfying network with cims behaving at least somewhat rationally I would really recommend you my guide: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...athfinding-based-on-my-experiences&highlight=
If you aplly my sugestions, the cims will stop switching lines if one of them is much faster than the other (e.g. metro > trams) and you will have fun from the game despite CO's absolute indifference to the devoted players. It really worked for me.

Last edited:
@Woody Red @Murph9000 If you want to build a satisfying network with cims behaving at least somewhat rationally I would really recommend you my guide: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...athfinding-based-on-my-experiences&highlight=
If you aplly my sugestions, the cims will stop switching lines if one of them is much faster than the other (e.g. metro > trams) and you will have fun from the game despite CO's absolute indifference to the devoted players. It really worked for me.

Yeah, you can sort of fix the issue with cim public transport route choice, by artificially restricting your routes, no argument with that. That artificial restriction on route design is, however, annoying in itself, makes the game less fun. The bigger pathfinding problems, however, have no workarounds and really kill the game for me. 1) pedestrian swarm-circle tram deadlock at avenue junctions. 2) terrible pathfinding for cars causing a downward spiral of gridlock, particularly with nonsense such as exiting the highway just to get immediately back onto it.

Overall, the various different forms of pathfinding are all broken, one way or another. The entire game is significantly spoiled by these problems. Frankly, I find a certain open-source freeware transport simulation (deliberately not naming it here) more enjoyable, despite it being less polished overall, despite the more 1990s feel to that game. It makes me quite sad, as CIM2 has so much wasted potential, and I think these problems could have been solved or significantly improved by CO, just they chose not to and now it seems that further development work is very unlikely to happen.

The highway leaving and getting back to problem can be easily resolved by changing the ramps from and into highway to standard no-pavement one way streets. Cars will try to find the fastest way from A to B but they don't calculate the number of crossroads into it. So they treat the ramp off -> ramp in route same as normal crossroad free highway lane. Standard streets look the same but they save you the problem.