• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

goliard20

Second Lieutenant
64 Badges
Mar 29, 2011
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • March of the Eagles
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
I really hope Alaska looks better than in part 3.
This little.... I don't know what it was, but it was so awkward.
On every picture i saw it wasn't good to see. It seemed there isnt even a Alaska,
But i hope there is.

Alaska is unimportant, I would much prefer they added a few more provinces to Europe.

or figure out a way to make Indonesia, New Guinea and the Solomon's as interesting in the air, sea and ground, as they should be.

Unimportant? Nor for everyone who lives there. Remember that a Japanese invasion of the Aleutians happened.

I really hope they fix the issue of Alaska being thousands of miles away from Siberia. This was especially annoying in HOI3 because it made it impossible for Japan to invade Alaska as they did historically. They fixed it in Finest Hour by extending the Aleutian chain closer to Japan, but I can't tell if it's fixed in the new game.

Alaska is unimportant, I would much prefer they added a few more provinces to Europe.

There was actual military action in the Aleutians - while the Japanese only invaded with 500 (against less then 20 mean), they built up to a force of 5,000 and the Allies (not having clear intel and expecting 20,000) sent 35,000 to take Kiska back and 15,000 to take Attu. It's definitely not below HoI scale. Here's a pic of the Kiska invasion fleet.

1175px-KiskaInvasionFleet.gif

There was also a substantial military build-up in Alaska to support this, as well as the development of supply convoys to support this, and they ferried aircraft to the USSR through Alaska for lend-lease.

Sure, it's not Malta or the Eastern Front, but it's got a place in WW2.

Model the Aleutians, by all means, they are some of the most strategically valuable islands in the world. Alaska, not so much.

But if Japs take Aleutians, then they are gonna want Anchorage and Juneau which is what I would consider mainland Alaska.

Just found this gold nugget on wiki!

General Billy Mitchell who told the U.S. Congress in 1935, "I believe that in the future, whoever holds Alaska will hold the world. I think it is the most important strategic place in the world."

Or you know, just have Alaska too? Is it too much to have the WORLD mostly modeled in a WORLD WAR game?

We can't do that. Having a globe interface is too complex! Remember how everyone hated the original xcom, with its 3d globe view of the world?

Wait, it was the other thing, people thought that was awesome... Good thing no ones done it since

We can't do that. Having a globe interface is too complex! Remember how everyone hated the original xcom, with its 3d globe view of the world?

Wait, it was the other thing, people thought that was awesome... Good thing no ones done it since

The original xcom did a globe in the 1990s. How hard is it for Paradox to do one now? I personally loved that globe.

Of all the pointless threads this is by the far the worst. Alaska serves no purpose in game, The AI was so poor in hoi3 that once it came to invading the USA as whichever european country I stopped playing that save, You may aswell have made the USA one big province. The AI was useless and any aar that went there proved it. Invading it was just gamey.

Alaska could be shaped like a potato for all it matters not even sure if I have looked at in detail in the years I have spent on all the HOI games.

Just found this gold nugget on wiki!

General Billy Mitchell who told the U.S. Congress in 1935, "I believe that in the future, whoever holds Alaska will hold the world. I think it is the most important strategic place in the world."

This is a fantastic quote!

Of all the pointless threads this is by the far the worst. Alaska serves no purpose in game, The AI was so poor in hoi3 that once it came to invading the USA as whichever european country I stopped playing that save, You may aswell have made the USA one big province. The AI was useless and any aar that went there proved it. Invading it was just gamey.

Alaska could be shaped like a potato for all it matters not even sure if I have looked at in detail in the years I have spent on all the HOI games.

Alaska serves no purpose, except being partially occupied during WW2, and having big resource deposits, and being the closest bit of the USA to Japan.

Rubbish AI is its own problem which also needs attention.

Alaska is the gateway for the great soviet army to conquer america.

Good luck marching an army down the Yukon in the 1940s, especially if it turns to winter.

The same is even more true of Kamchatka, there are few roads there even today, never mind in the 1940s. Tanks would be out of the question, and advance would be painfully slow and deadly.

Not a very good idea, in short. Go for Vladivostok instead.

Good luck marching an army down the Yukon in the 1940s, especially if it turns to winter.

The same is even more true of Kamchatka, there are few roads there even today, never mind in the 1940s. Tanks would be out of the question, and advance would be painfully slow and deadly.

Not a very good idea, in short. Go for Vladivostok instead.

seems about right, but Vladivostok would be expected, ill just force my Army Corps of Engineers to build roads ahead of my tanks lol