• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
that was... unexpected to say the least... what exactly did the German AI so wrong?

Will probably show you some more in a somewhat detailed update. Basically the problem is that along the border between Germany and the SU, there are stacks of units but of different nations. Besides Germany there were Bulgarians, Romanians, Hungarians and Italians. They do not attack the same province since (even the AI) does not control all the same units. Meaning, the AI separates itself into nations that do not communicate with each other, so i.e. when Italy attacks a province, the others will not automatically attack that same province. I even tested it when there was a stack of Germans close attacking a SU province, I wanted to help them but when I started to attack, they stopped :blink:. So even though the Axis had stacks and stacks along the border, they were pretty much useless. Also, as far as I could see, the German AI depended too much on the other Axis to defend the border, which is obviously a mistake. Most of them undermanned (assumption) and under geared (also assumption) but definitely worse leadership compared to Germany.

So that went wrong :angry:

Well, that's a very red Scandinavia...

Not only a red Scandinavia. If this was rl, I would be speaking Russian fluently :p. But will get to that later so I can close this disastrous book and move on to the next (probably one where I will show the German AI how to defeat the SU in 1937 or something like that).

The bane of any axis minor, Germany failing hard. Damn it this was looking so promising!
But please show us how epically they failed so we get at least some facepalms out of it.

The bane of any axis minor, Germany failing hard. Damn it this was looking so promising!
But please show us how epically they failed so we get at least some facepalms out of it.

I'm already expecting 50 armour/mech divisions stacked on the border with Sweden or Spain.

You know.... I am actually still a bit p##ed off, things were looking great and I was ready to take Karelia. I still have a save game that starts where the last update left off. Yesterday I thought to see what would happen if I took Karelia? So I tried and I got pretty much all of it and did a landing next to Archangalsk (or something like that). Drawing Soviet attention from the border succeeded a bit, yet Germany still did nothing :(. So incompetence all over the place (except in Finland :p).

I'm already expecting 50 armour/mech divisions stacked on the border with Sweden or Spain.

Something like that yes and you'll see in the forthcoming updates.

Oh Germany collapsed ... well i'll wait the details, like the others.

So will I.... eeh, no wait... I'm supposed to take care of those :blink:

The long wait for…. Russians?!

I am very sorry, but I really lack the motivation to make a good story about the last bit. I will not say the game ruined it for me, but I am still very disappointed about losing due thing beyond my control :(. Also because the amount of time and effort I put in both game itself and AAR….

Nonetheless I will post my screenshots for you to see what happened. Obviously I am always willing to answer questions. Underneath each screenshot a short description of the plan.

HoI3_117.jpg

Retreated in the hope to give Germany enough room to move

HoI3_118.jpg

As you can see, in July they did not move a lot

HoI3_119.jpg

I released Norway and Sweden and made them my puppet in the hope some extra fire power/ defence would force a breakthrough

HoI3_126.jpg

The moment I really thought “Uh ooh, this is not going in the right direction…..”

HoI3_129.jpg

The eastern front is moving more to the west day by day, Axis forces are demorolized

HoI3_133.jpg

The first attack on Leningrad since I seized the city

HoI3_138.jpg

The SU is in control in the west (in the east Japan was still there, but also fighting a losing battle)

HoI3_140.jpg

My defences still managed to hold the line

HoI3_145.jpg

The UK invasion in November

HoI3_145.jpg

Germany is on the run, Poland is a puppet of the SU

HoI3_150.jpg

Berlin almost fully surrounded, only a matter of time till Germany surrenders

HoI3_151.jpg

January 1944, the Finnish defending forces remain to hold their position

HoI3_153.jpg

Denmark is a puppet, but more importantly, Germany is defeated!

HoI3_156.jpg

Italy surrenders to the UK, Tannu Tuva is officially part of the Soviet Union

HoI3_157.jpg

February 27th, 1944 – Leningrad back into the hands of the Soviet Union after over 3 years under Finnish rule. Finnish forces retreat back to their old initial defences for the Winter War

HoI3_160.jpg

My second “Uh oooh” moment

HoI3_161.jpg

….. and no troops to defend the borders with Norway and Sweden

HoI3_162.jpg

Stacks and stacks of units passing by

HoI3_164.jpg

The end is near and the Finnish soldiers hold their heads high with pride

HoI3_165.jpg

Still the defences hold untill attacked from the back

HoI3_167.jpg

We are the last remaining ones of the Axis (Yunnan was invited roughly 2 months back)

I think my next AAR will be playing Germany and get my revenge. Not sure about how and or what I will do the whole thing, but thinking about it.

Damn Brits! May I suggest playing Germany with some mod? a lot of them give the Germans a little more flavour

Damn Brits! May I suggest playing Germany with some mod? a lot of them give the Germans a little more flavour

I'm always open to suggestions. Which mod do you have in mind? I have tried HPP and BI and both have their pro's and cons and require some adjustment to my playing style. But that is not a major issue.

Did you set Germany any objectives?
Last time I played Italy, Germany just sat there with a large stack of units doing nothing, until I told them which direction to go.

I did not give them any objectives. I could have done that, but I wanted it to be an authentical AAR..... silly me. EDIT: I can still do that as I have a savegame that starts in just about where the last update starts..... It would be a shame leaving this AAR as I enjoyed it a lot and was doing quite well considering the MP and IC I had. Giving the AI a little nudge would not hurt.... right?

Last edited:
my last games as Germany were with the DWI mod and the FOx and Lion mod... both still needing some balances but good mods actually... I think when the next version of the DWI mod comes out it will be well balanced and all mayor having good templates

Like I said, the bane of an Axis minor is a failing Germany. I don't see anything you could have done differently.
As said, maybe a mod next time, or play a slightly larger nation such as Italy. At least they have the strenght to do something when Germany fails...

Nevertheless, good AAR, it was a lot of fun to follow!

my last games as Germany were with the DWI mod and the FOx and Lion mod... both still needing some balances but good mods actually... I think when the next version of the DWI mod comes out it will be well balanced and all mayor having good templates

Thanks for the suggestions and I'll give both of them a swing this weekend to experience the look and feel.

Like I said, the bane of an Axis minor is a failing Germany. I don't see anything you could have done differently.
As said, maybe a mod next time, or play a slightly larger nation such as Italy. At least they have the strenght to do something when Germany fails...

Nevertheless, good AAR, it was a lot of fun to follow!

Thanks and I agree. I have boggled my head over it a few days now and I don't think I have could done it any other way. Perhaps I should move on with my life :blink:. Italy I haven't tried actually.... Could be worth a shot.

Actually an Italy where you have to defend against the SU and the Allies would be quite interesting, if you buff the SU/nerf the Germans a bit.

I would have to figure out how to buff and nerf them. Some basic adjustments are no problem, but would have to know what and where :D.

Having played Finland quite a bit, looking at those screenshots I have had the exact same experience happen to me. So I can definitely relate to your pain.

Basically Germany is going to get into a slugfest with USSR no matter what, and every time I followed Germany's lead and joined in the slugfest, no matter how well we seemed to be doing, we eventually lost.

In the games I actually won as Finland I avoided slugfests, capturing only Leningrad and Murmansk, and then holding those strong defensive lines. Afterwards, no matter how badly Germany screws up, YOU CAN STILL WIN! You just need to focus on the national unity of the SU rather than the armies of the SU.

So...constant lower unity spy missions from the first day of the war. Constant strategic bombing as soon as you can license build the necessary TACs and INTs from Germany. It means annexing Norway and Sweden (which you did), but also using Norway's heavy water to do a crash course in nuclear bombing making (start researching in 1941 or 42). In this way, as Finland, it is quite possible to beat the SU even after the rest of the Axis has been eliminated, and with you only owning about 15% of the SU victory points. The Soviets will try to attack via Denmark, but only 2 divisions in Copenhagen or Malmo can hold them off at the straights. The Allies may try amphibious invasions, so I kept a reserve of 5-6 INF divisions ready in the west to repel them. IIRC, by 1945 you need around 35 INF divisions to hold the line in this way, plus maybe some forts in Leningrad and those 2 provinces to the east of Leningrad (not Ostrovets).

Having played Finland quite a bit, looking at those screenshots I have had the exact same experience happen to me. So I can definitely relate to your pain.

Basically Germany is going to get into a slugfest with USSR no matter what, and every time I followed Germany's lead and joined in the slugfest, no matter how well we seemed to be doing, we eventually lost.

In the games I actually won as Finland I avoided slugfests, capturing only Leningrad and Murmansk, and then holding those strong defensive lines. Afterwards, no matter how badly Germany screws up, YOU CAN STILL WIN! You just need to focus on the national unity of the SU rather than the armies of the SU.

So...constant lower unity spy missions from the first day of the war. Constant strategic bombing as soon as you can license build the necessary TACs and INTs from Germany. It means annexing Norway and Sweden (which you did), but also using Norway's heavy water to do a crash course in nuclear bombing making (start researching in 1941 or 42). In this way, as Finland, it is quite possible to beat the SU even after the rest of the Axis has been eliminated, and with you only owning about 15% of the SU victory points. The Soviets will try to attack via Denmark, but only 2 divisions in Copenhagen or Malmo can hold them off at the straights. The Allies may try amphibious invasions, so I kept a reserve of 5-6 INF divisions ready in the west to repel them. IIRC, by 1945 you need around 35 INF divisions to hold the line in this way, plus maybe some forts in Leningrad and those 2 provinces to the east of Leningrad (not Ostrovets).

Good to know, and will try that again someday. It was my first steps playing as Finland and also my second step playing at hard level (first one was with Germany). So in that sense I am pleased with what I accomplished, though I also feel I could have done better. I am happy to see that I am not the only one struggling with the AI when playing Finland ;).

Yes, so true Remitonov, and the other day I dug up my old save just to see what would happen if I did things differently and instead of waiting for Germany to pull through, I started invading Karelia which I managed to conquer. Even Archangalsk (or how you spell it?!) got a Finnish flag planted yet still Germany managed to loose. Ah well, let's see if I can do better with my US army and navy :p.