• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Because it'd be hell to implement them in a way that would see them develop in any way similarly to how they did historically and the forum would be drowned in rage threads.

I wouldn't necessarily equate Irish Catholicism with Welsh Catholicism either. I would not be surprised to discover that there were differences as great or greater between them as there was between Irish Catholicism and Frankish Catholicism.

I imagine it could work in the same way that Hindus have patron deities (with a small trait explaining which church the character belongs to), except you shouldn't be able to change it at will like they have the ability to do.
Of course, I'm not really sure how this would add to the game, and you'd probably end up with people belonging to tons of different churches all over the map unless you can somehow make the trait change based on where the character is located? I don't know, it sounds like an unnecessary mess really.

It make this game more fun and also accurate history.
No, it wouldn't be more accurate, celts were catholics, they only had some different traditions that can't be represented in game (only by events maybe)

We're going a bit far with this one I think. They really weren't that different outside of culture. Now if you want to improve the Celtic cultural aspect of the game more power to you, but "celtic christianity" is silly sorry.

No, it wouldn't be more accurate, celts were catholics, they only had some different traditions that can't be represented in game (only by events maybe)
One of the differences between Irish and Continental Catholicism was the attitude to pilgrimages. Irish monks sometimes went on a lifelong pilgrimage to nowhere. They travelled with no destination in mind, on the basis that the physical and emotional hardship of the journey would bring them closer to God. How would you represent that in CK2? Probably you wouldn't. Your character isn't going to do it, and if your courtiers did it would just be annoying. Another (temporary) difference is that the Irish came up with legalistic schedules of penances for particular acts confessed, an innovation that eventually spread to Continental Europe. How would you represent that? In-game, the only provider of penance is the Pope.

There's a strong historical case for making divorce in Ireland a purely secular affair, with no reference to the head of religion, but that has no real religious implication.

Celtic Christianity could be a trait for certain Catholics that would change their gameplay in some cases. It could keep them recognising the Pope as head, but exempt them from crusade calls, give them their weird pilgrimage thing and other stuff via events, and create a negative opinion modifier between them and Latin Catholics. No idea if that could be implemented in game.

The pilgrimage could work like this:

The idea was to give up all of their worldly possessions and put their fate entirely in God's hands as they spent the rest of their lives homeless. For starters it should only be available to zealous characters, then it could do one of two things: either you abdicate to your heir or it gets treated like a very extended Hajj. If its the second one you would have next to no control over your realm and you get events about your travels periodically until they die. Or more simply you abdicate and your previous ruler gets the pilgrim trait along with a special modifier

The idea was to give up all of their worldly possessions and put their fate entirely in God's hands as they spent the rest of their lives homeless. For starters it should only be available to zealous characters, then it could do one of two things: either you abdicate to your heir or it gets treated like a very extended Hajj. If its the second one you would have next to no control over your realm and you get events about your travels periodically until they die. Or more simply you abdicate and your previous ruler gets the pilgrim trait along with a special modifier
I can't think of any rulers who did it, though. It was a thing holy men did.

(Irish people also did, and indeed do, the more normal pilgrimages.)

I wouldn't necessarily equate Irish Catholicism with Welsh Catholicism either.

Not to mention that so called Celtic Christianity was just as popular among the Saxons until the Whitby Synod and some Irish Churches had already adopted Roman Easter calculations before then. Ionan Christianity is probably a better name.

Most of the Scholarship on the Celtic Church was done through the eyes of Scottish Protestantism. That is, it was more about giving meaning to contemporary movements than it was about trying to understand the past.

Last edited:
I don't agree with giving the Celtic Christians there own separate branch but it's a great idea for the Armenian church and that should go in the suggestions box :)

except nobody agrees wirth you

I don't agree with giving the Celtic Christians there own separate branch but it's a great idea for the Armenian church and that should go in the suggestions box :)

except nobody agrees wirth you

Neither the Celts nor the Armenians should have their own branch.

I only say because I don't remember anything about Armenian Christians then and now paying homage to the Coptic Pope, so it's a valid suggestion whether people agree with me or not, either way I'm going to mod it into my game soooooo boo to you. :p

As many here saids... Armenian Christians should be autonomous. Of course! Nothing against this. :)

Celtic Christianity could be a trait for certain Catholics that would change their gameplay in some cases. It could keep them recognising the Pope as head, but exempt them from crusade calls, give them their weird pilgrimage thing and other stuff via events, and create a negative opinion modifier between them and Latin Catholics. No idea if that could be implemented in game.

Yeah, that's about as far as it should go. Make it an inheritable trait, and a trait for all clergy in Ireland a a negative opinion to the Pope (so they pay to the local king, not the pope), add an event chain sometime in the 11th-12th century which starts with Irish reform (Characters with Celtic Christianity begin dropping likes flies), loss of Canterbury influence, English Pope appointed, King of England gets a claim on the Kingdom of Ireland.

I don't think Devs need to worry about it though. It's just flavour, for a small part of the map. A small mod would cover this. They should concentrate on fixing things like the CK2 save game exporter.