• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Cetan

Colonel
75 Badges
Feb 26, 2012
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Sengoku
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
One of the things that's always bugged me is, when switching out of Gavelkind, you get the Unlanded Sons prestige penalty.

However, with the way the AI acts, there's no good reason to land your sons, especially your playable heir. I don't land my heir simply because I know that if his wife I've arranged for him dies, he immediately rushes out to take a prestige hit by marrying a lowborn with no claims, no titles, and most often, no stats. It's aggravating to see the AI throw screw up his life, especially when you have to play him next!

I would like to see in 2.3/WoL, some more control over our heirs. Give us a reason to actually land them, rather than the detriments that come with it.

I liked the idea someone had in the main announcement thread where members of your family would ask for your blessing when trying to marry someone on their own, and if you told them no there'd be a chance they'd elope and become an adventurer or run off to someone else's court or get an negative opinion trait thereby increasing the chance of them attempting to cash in that inheritance early.

I don't think it'd be all that great to have full control over them at any rate, it'd take away the fun and frustration of being a medieval royal dad!

:mad:"What'dya mean you don't want to marry the duchess of Normandy?! Your son would inherit her lands!"

:wub:"But dad! Roxanne makes me feel like no woman ever has! I love her!"

:mad:"Hah! So you think a big pair of melons will keep your kingdom together when the Mongols are knocking at your door, the dirty peasants are demanding more food, and that damned uncle of yours is trying to incite rebellion just so that greedy old bastard doesn't have to pay taxes? Kids today... no respect for prestige!"

Your son is a grown-up, let go of this 20th Century obsession with control :p

I agree with this wholeheartedly... but let's not make it too easy either. Perhaps keep it tied to opinion and traits. If your son has a low opinion of you it should be more difficult to get him to do what you want. Sort of how I imagine regents are intended to function (but in my experience don't). Or if your son is a lunatic it should be difficult to get him to do things in general.

From a gameplay perspective I completely agree. It's very annoying having to hold back giving your sons land because choosing a wife is so important.

From a realism perspective I'm really unsure. Yes, if your son is old enough to own land he is old enough to choose his own wife, but on the other hand the head of a large feudal family would surely have complete control over who his children marry, as that was the main source of alliances. Many leaders were I'm sure far more relaxed about it, but only by choice.

In this case I'd definitely opt for keeping control. I lost count of how many times I gave my children land in my early CK2 days and then pretty much facepalmed.

By no means should we have total control or direct control.
But I agree that we should have the control that a father could exert over a landed son; in areas related to the family, pretty much only marriage. The father should have no right to hand out land that belongs to his son to his grandsons, without the relations hits that would come with doing that with in-game methods now (revoke land and give it to someone you invited somehow).

I liked the idea someone had in the main announcement thread where members of your family would ask for your blessing when trying to marry someone on their own, and if you told them no there'd be a chance they'd elope and become an adventurer or run off to someone else's court or get an negative opinion trait thereby increasing the chance of them attempting to cash in that inheritance early.

I don't think it'd be all that great to have full control over them at any rate, it'd take away the fun and frustration of being a medieval royal dad!

:mad:"What'dya mean you don't want to marry the duchess of Normandy?! Your son would inherit her lands!"

:wub:"But dad! Roxanne makes me feel like no woman ever has! I love her!"

:mad:"Hah! So you think a big pair of melons will keep your kingdom together when the Mongols are knocking at your door, the dirty peasants are demanding more food, and that damned uncle of yours is trying to incite rebellion just so that greedy old bastard doesn't have to pay taxes? Kids today... no respect for prestige!"
The Mongols never reach Normandy, so he has a point.

Historically, the ruler did have power over who his sons married. Although this was in a later era-around the XVI and XVII Centuries-marrying without the King's approval did sometimes end in getting disinherited.

My Ruler should at least have some say ion who my sons marry; even if they've already been landed.

I don't think 20th century parents had to worry about playing as their screwed up children next though.

And, with only a very few exceptions, these children aren't generally in line to inherit noble/royal titles...

And, with only a very few exceptions, these children aren't generally in line to inherit noble/royal titles...

"No, you're not moving out, you'll become slothful, maimed and infirm. I need you to be ready to inherit! so I can take it from there."

I often take control off my son (console) to make sure his son marries someone of my choice outside the realm. As his father, I should atleast be able to suggest a suitor, which is what I emulate by doing that
Sometimes you just have to play the hand off god to make up for missing things.

But yea, it'd be nice if there are non console ways to do that

Depending on the place and time, a lot of control could be expressed on things like marriage choice. All nobles were supposed to get their king's approval--as well as for things like changing succession laws. These were weighty matters of state at the time.

The worst is when his wife suddenly becomes landed due to all her brothers dying and hijacks your entire family. They then get raised up to be a different culture and make your grandsons celibate by allowing everyone to join holy orders including your former heir (as it disinherits him). Having an heir of differing culture since RoI isn't so bad anymore since you can just adopt the capital religion/culture... but it's still awful. I should have full control over what my heirs and grandsons do, no matter what court they're in... and especially when I'm Emperor of all of Europe.

Here's two links to an old thread I once made: The first post here and this post here pretty much sum up my horrible experiences I've had in the past.

Last edited:
Not every character should be able to do that, tho. Those weak in mind, for example.