• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sparticulous

Colonel
97 Badges
Mar 16, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_ships
I know most people are against this. but if you guys could ever make it work. It would be really amazing. I know the AI is really retarded and sucks at ships as it is. But still. It would be awesome to have functioning navies. Even if people barely wrote about their naval warfares, the arabs and eastern roman empire surely had extensive naval conflicts especially during the hey day of the macedonian dynasty.

Upvote 0
Thank you for saying this. I agree with you. It would be cool to add a navy aspect beyond simply transporting armies. There is an event when playing the Byzantine Empire that is about greek fire, and I am thinking to myself: "why do I care? If the Greek fire tech is lost, it isn't going to affect me." It would probably weigh down the already slowed game. But, a simple system, including a few cultures having 'special' units (like the armies) wouldn't be too hard to incorporate.

Ancient Greece started using ships in combat; Byzantium certainly did. The shipbuilding tech would be the upgrades. When I first started to play the game I tried using the EUIII strategy of using ships to block armies from crossing straits. I learned quickly ships were useless in that way. Why??? A ship full of archers is a lethal weapon, as is a ship with the Greek fire.

The devs said they had it on their list to add in one of their streams.

yay :excl: They could combine it with a gunpowder DLC. A lot of the better naval battles occurred when they had cannons in the high and late medieval periods (1300s and onward), even if just small bombards! Though they were more meant to kill people than injury ships. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_warfare#Naval_warfare the first cannon that should actually sink a ship was used after the time period was over. Maybe they can add fire ships and siphon-pump flamethrower infantry for the ERE! just ideas :p

Last edited: