• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The opinion penalty should be smaller, I think. Muslim lands were a bastion of civilization compared to the Westerners for most of the CK2 time periods, so they should have easier access to the tech bonuses to reflect that, like India does.

The opinion penalty should be smaller, I think. Muslim lands were a bastion of civilization compared to the Westerners for most of the CK2 time periods, so they should have easier access to the tech bonuses to reflect that, like India does.

one of the schools does exactly that. it was the dominant school of thought for much of the golden age only being surpassed at the very end.

I frequently find a use for the piety bonus from Ashari in the early game (as Muslims need piety more than anyone else), and the learning bonus from Mu'tazilite is impressive later on. While they certainly have costs if you find yourself with opposite-trait vassals, I wouldn't say they're "not worth it."

What I find unfortunate is that they're only for Sunnis.

Speaking as someone who plays a lot as Shi'a, I agree with that. It'd be a lot better if the schools were for all the different muslims, not just the one group.

I wish the Shia got them as well, the Shia just seem like a watered down version of Sunni but I guess the Orthodox outside of the ERE are the same, though at least as orthodox you get a few random stat boosts and different pilgrimage sites.

The tech boost gives you techpoints when you take it, and it gives a positive boon to your relations with others of the same school and the fact that you can convert your vassals to your school means you should have much higher tech then any of the other religions.

The Schools of Jurisprudence represent major theological positions within Sunni Islam. These differences have developed much since the middle ages, and represent some of the most important differences between the beliefs of various Sunni communities.

There are similar divisions within Shia Islam, but there even more important and divisive disagreements within the faith than the schools of jurisprudence. Particularly the divisions between their various sects. By the 700's the division between the Zaidis and the rest of Shia Islam was more or less complete, and by the 900's this was true of the Twelvers as well.

If divisions are introduced within Shia Islam, I'd much prefer to see the Zaidis and Twlevers represented than the (when compared to medieval Sunni Islam) the rather unimportant jurisprudental differences.

I frequently find a use for the piety bonus from Ashari in the early game (as Muslims need piety more than anyone else), and the learning bonus from Mu'tazilite is impressive later on. While they certainly have costs if you find yourself with opposite-trait vassals, I wouldn't say they're "not worth it."

What I find unfortunate is that they're only for Sunnis.

Yes it makes me never want to play Shia or Ibadi because I'm always Mu'tazilite.

I wish the Shia got them as well, the Shia just seem like a watered down version of Sunni but I guess the Orthodox outside of the ERE are the same, though at least as orthodox you get a few random stat boosts and different pilgrimage sites.

The tech boost gives you techpoints when you take it, and it gives a positive boon to your relations with others of the same school and the fact that you can convert your vassals to your school means you should have much higher tech then any of the other religions.

Well Buddhists are pretty good at tech too. They can get up to a +15 learning just from their religion and sect.

If you're not independent, follow your liege. If you are independent, go Mutazilite (unless you have some serious decadence problems, of course).

The schools are wonderful additions and one of the few Muslim things in this game I 100% would not change. Love 'em.

I know it may be far-fetched at this stage, but i would like to see something similar with Guelf and Ghibellines for Italian Catholic Characters. No attribute modifier, just a relation penalty and bonus with the pope and the emperor.

If divisions are introduced within Shia Islam, I'd much prefer to see the Zaidis and Twlevers represented than the (when compared to medieval Sunni Islam) the rather unimportant jurisprudental differences.

That would be historically anachronistic : the twelveth imam (Muhammad al-Mahdi) was born in 869, and didn't become the 12th imam until his father died, which means after TOG bookmark.

I think we need to keep in mind there were no religious differences between sunni and shia back then. The disagreement was mainly over who deserve to be the leader of muslims. Differences then slowly pilled up through centuries.

BTW, I noticed in game files that Ali's (the Prophet's cousin and first imam for shia) religion is shia... that's another anachronism.
How can he follow a religion that appeared long after he was killed by the Kharijites!

They should just break up the Shia form of Islam within the game into 3 groups.

Zaydi~
Ismaili~
Ja'fari~

That would be historically anachronistic : the twelveth imam (Muhammad al-Mahdi) was born in 869, and didn't become the 12th imam until his father died, which means after TOG bookmark.

As I said, the Zaidis branched off in the 700's, and the Twelvers in the 900's, which places them well within the period of 769-1453. Also, those are just two sects, there are others, although I think the Zaidis might be one of the older (oldest?) branches.

They should just break up the Shia form of Islam within the game into 3 groups.

Zaydi~
Ismaili~
Ja'fari~

I'd much prefer this to extending the Sunni schools of Jurisprudence into the Shia.