• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Enigma1940

Corporal
Nov 3, 2014
Iam finding the merging units system in some provinces to be sticky.

Where the province contains land units and ether air or sea units when I draw the curser over it the game only throws up the land units for merger. Currently to avoid this problem when I merge Spitfire units based at London Iam sending all of them to London to Derby to that is empty of other units and merging them there.

Even stranger is the case of transport units at Glasgow naval base that although I can bring up the merger option are not allowed to merge.

That's normal.
1-you select one of the kind of unit that you want. Then you keep it selected (shift) while drawing a box. This will select only units of the same nature.
This can be extended, let's say you want to select only planes in Europe: You select one anywhere, zoom out, then draw a box over Europe while keeping the first plane selected.

2-You can't merge ships if at least one has troops onboard, or if one has already orders. I think that's your case.

As I said I have tried that with missionless stacks of naval transport units now based at Belfast the merger icon will not activate. Likewise with Australian forces at Luanga I have merged the army units but the missionless Australian transports are not being allowed to merge into a single force

As I said I have tried that with missionless stacks of naval transport units now based at Belfast the merger icon will not activate. Likewise with Australian forces at Luanga I have merged the army units but the missionless Australian transports are not being allowed to merge into a single force

They all have to be BASED in the same naval base. Not just present in that base. For instance, if you moved the transports from Scapa Flow to Glascow without rebasing, they cannot be merged with ships that are based in Glasgow.

...and if they are based in the same port but that at least one of them has troops embarked (as I wrote it), it won't work neither.

I´ve just started 1933 scenario with UK, DH Full. Sent 3 TP from Scapa Flow and 3 TP from Portsmouth to Belfast (I didn´t even bother to rebase them). After arrival I was able to merge the two fleets (the new combined fleet is based at Scapa Flow). Did I do anything different from you?

six transport fleets based at Belfast, no troops aboard, no mission designated to them. I can call up the left hand box that displays all six fleets but the merge button wont function.
Next step then.
Are all the ships from the same nationality?

Ok I moved the non British ships and I can merge them. That also explains why Australian and New Zealand ships cannot merge.

Yet thats an historical anachronism I guess the programming cannot cope with this still it would be nice if it was fixed.

No but the nationalities are all under British control
...but not British

Ok I moved the non British ships and I can merge them. That also explains why Australian and New Zealand ships cannot merge.

Yet thats an historical anachronism I guess the programming cannot cope with this still it would be nice if it was fixed.
Since it is by design, it is not broken and can't be fixed :)
Imagine what would happen if this was possible...

British, Australian and NZ cruisers could forma hunting group off the River Plate perhaps. Or in 1942 the allies forned the ABDA task force or the Combined Allied naval force at D.Day.

Nevertheless Iam still not out of the woods because when merge units of the same nationality beside a land unit of the same nationality the programme tends to display the land unit but not the nav/air units. So to merge fighters defending Bristol I send them to Derby where their are no other units, merge and then send them back to Bristol

British, Australian and NZ cruisers could forma hunting group off the River Plate perhaps. Or in 1942 the allies forned the ABDA task force or the Combined Allied naval force at D.Day.
-With whose doctrine?
-What if it is AI controlled?
-What would happen if you release military control? Worse, what would happen if there is a fight ongoing?
-How the repairs will be managed?
Programmer's nightmare and for few returns.

Nevertheless Iam still not out of the woods because when merge units of the same nationality beside a land unit of the same nationality the programme tends to display the land unit but not the nav/air units. So to merge fighters defending Bristol I send them to Derby where their are no other units, merge and then send them back to Bristol
You can scroll though the units and stop scrolling once you have one of the kind of unit that you want. Keep it selected (shift) then draw a box over the stack in the province.
You can also select directly a plane in another province, keep it selected (shift) while drawing a box over the province that you want, then unselect the planes that you don't want in the left panel (Shift and Ctrl work the usual way).
Finally, you can't merge more planes than allowed (4, 6 or 8 depending of the mods IIRC the values)

To answer Luifers questions :-

- With whose doctrine?
-What if it is AI controlled?
-What would happen if you release military control? Worse, what would happen if there is a fight ongoing?
-How the repairs will be managed?

For the British it would simplify the issue if all Empire and Commonwealth forces are treated as British units. In reality they were so integrated as to be insistiquishable from British national forces.

As to your other questions if DH offers a pararell of history then these programming nightmares shouldnt be avoided nor do I think they are major issues. Think of it as the player controling them and you see how it might work, the existing option of gaining acess to control a nations forces seems to be the place to start.

For the British it would simplify the issue if all Empire and Commonwealth forces are treated as British units. In reality they were so integrated as to be insistiquishable from British national forces.

That would certainly be news to the men of the Australian 7th Division which was withdrawn from the Middle-East and despatched to New Guinea over the vigorous objection of the British government. You might also find that the Canadian Navy exercised its own operational control and, while servicing British priorities when possible, was far from being RN West.