• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
250px-Umbercrest.png

House Umber

Lord Eddard,

I am pleased to hear of the birth of a grandson. Roose is a fine name, and I look forward to seeing him. As winter approaches, look to my coming within the fortnight so I may lay eyes upon him. I do not know when I will get another chance. Forewarn your son of my coming. I will seek another hunt with my son-in-law, and I would relish Bearbane at my side once more.

Your friend,
~Jon Umber,
Lord of of Last Hearth

Bolton.png

House Bolton

Lord Jon,

Your arrival at the Dreadfort is most welcome indeed and preparations will be made for your arrival. Your Grandson will be a strong boy and will bring honor to both our houses. My son would enjoy another hunt with you Lord Umber, he has wide acclaim within the Dreadfort for slaying beasts of the wood. I wish you a safe passage to the Dreadfort Lord Umber.

~Lord Eddard Bolton of the Dreadfort, Regent of Skagos

A Brief Explanation on War

tumblr_ne5gt2EeZQ1qeijvdo1_500.png

War and Other Follies
by
The Black Septon​

It is in the pursuit of war that man finds the darkest darkness that lurks within the soul. It is in times of war that man would shed the blood of innocents, steal the virtue of maidens and take the livelihood of the needy. The actions of man, that would otherwise be considered abhorrent, in war become commonplace. It is with hesitance and forbearance that war must be sought, and when it is finally achieved, one must not allow corruption to taint that which should be the ultimate goal; peace.

Battles are decided by chance, with Skilled Tacticians having a bonus chance to win all battles they fight. The larger the host, however, the greater losses they may inflict, generally speaking. The past is ripe with examples of tacticians losing what seemed an assured victory, or a great host succumbing to massacre. The Crone warns us of the dangers of arrogance and false pride.

Within the span of a year, many battles may take place. Troops marching forth on a campaign risk life and limb, and what may coldly be regarded as a resource by the lords of the realm, may be gone forever. A lord must take care to always hold a force back in reserve, should the worst befall. A keen strategist will always take into account the terrain of his enemy as well. Regarding the windswept canyons of Dorne, and any invading army should expect that a year's campaign may yield only a foothold in the region, if anything at all. The same could be said of the Vale, with their high mountains, and the North's Neck, where soldiers are squeezed into a bottleneck, and numbers count for nothing.

Attacking armies, statistically speaking, are nearly always the side to suffer greater losses, as their defenders enjoy the protection of castle walls, traps, and lay of the land. On an open field, however, advantage sides with the larger host, and a kill ratio commonly seen 1 to 1. This has give prominence to the belief that the side with the greater numbers will win the war, though history disproves this often enough. Even still, time always stalwart before fading passions, and a calm leader will know when to retreat and save up to half his force from death and ruin.

After a year of war, the landscape of a realm can change significantly. The holdfasts and castles that once swore to one lord, may find an army at their gates demanding they swear to another. A man with ten thousand swords at his back can be persuasive indeed. Along with the castles that stand and fall, lords of war can expect casualties to be inflicted greatest on their banners, for they are the bulk of any force, followed by the levies of the lord-general, who takes his charges in his gentle embrace and sets them to defend their homes, and finally, the elite soldiers of the lord himself. Typically, a ratio of 50-40-10 percent is seen if history can be believed.

War is such a thing that should be avoided at all costs. Foolish and arrogant is the man who empties all his realm to defend his ego, foolish still is the man who turns craven in the face of malice and danger. The balance should always be strove for, with peace ever the end goal, and let that be ever in the forefront of any lord who seeks war, before the Stranger takes them.

Last edited:
Salladhor%2BSaan.jpg

Magister Cera Karesh

After being asked his opinion on a suitable hostage, Cera shook his head.

"The Iron Bank do not deal in hostages. There is only one reason they would want the Prince. He is a worthy claimant to the throne, and one they could easily push into power should you defy them, my Prince. We could give them a Magister, one whose loyalty is lacking, but you would still have the same problem, a claimant safely held in Braavos beyond your reach. Give them gold and let them be satisfied."

250px-House_Tyrell.PNG

A Conflict of Interests​

Willas had gone to the Gardens, looking for the Princess which had been much debate around. As he finally found her her walked forward and bowed “Princess Myriah, I was hoping we could have a talk” he said with a smile.

The Princess curtsied, “It is good to see you, Lord Hand”

He started walking next to her through the garden “I have had reports from Essos, and more importantly regarding your brother, and yourself, I hear that you might be leaving the capital soon”

The Princess smiled back, “That is indeed correct”

He stopped and turned to her “I am here to ask you not to do that, and to stay here in the capital, with your husband, Prince Daeron”

Myriah, after taking a quick breath responds, “I regretfully cannot do that. With all the things that have been going on down in the South, my brother has become rather cautious, and would rather someone he knows and trusts act as regent in his stead.”

Willas drew a small smile that quickly faded “I understand why your brother believes that, but you are needed here in the capital. You are the wife of our future King, the mother of our future King, you are needed here, not in Dorne”

Myriah responds, “I have let my brother know my opinions on this matter, and how I do not wish to leave my husband and son, but sadly he is most insistent”

“Then you must simply be more insistent” He said as he drew a smile “You cannot leave your husband and son, you are the wife of Prince Daeron, our future Queen, not the heir to Sunspear. You must show the nobles that your loyalties are with the Iron Throne, not with Dorne, no matter how much it may anger your brother”

Myriah keeps her smile on her face, “Do I detect a hint of a threat, my Lord Hand? You must remember that i am the heir to Sunspear, and that title seems far more secure at the moment than the title of Crown Princess” she maintains her smile

“If you detected a threat, then it is because you know it is already there, you are not ignorant. You will only stay heir if your brother does not manage to father a child, which seems unlikely. You know that if you leave Kings Landing, to travel south and rule in your brothers stead, then your position and that of your son here in Kings Landing will be in danger” Willas said as he looked at her with seriousness and concern.

Her smile remains on her face as she responds, “Well, my brother has yet to marry, so unless he dies, as I have no doubt the Baratheons would love, I am still heir.”

Willas shook his head “I cannot protect you if you leave, know that if you leave, by the time your brother returns, you may very well have lost a husband and a son, don’t take that risk”
“I am sure the you know the King has already requested a divorce based on scandalous lies, which our wise High Septon choose to deny, but I doubt he will drop the issue. It already seems like my marriage is in jeopardy. Besides, every day I am here, it seems like this court turns more and more against Dorne. With the events surrounding House Caron, I wonder if war will come.”

“Which is all the more reason that you must stay, you cannot leave now, I cannot protect you and your marriage should you leave” He shook his head “If you leave, say goodbye to your son, it may be the last time that you see him.” He looked at her for a moment “You are my prince’s wife, thus my princess and future queen, I cannot command you, only advise, and tell you of the possible outcome of your action, I only pray that you do not take the wrong step”

Myriah maintains her ever persistent smile, “I must thank you for your loyalty, Lord Hand, it is clear the King made the right choice when he choose you. Regardless, I have heard many Lords already consider my marriage void, as it was a King’s decree.”

“Lord Tully, Baratheon, their vassals perhaps. But despite this, then it is not all of the realm, there are still parts of the realm who supports your marriage to Prince Daeron, if you leave you will only give more power to your enemies, and less to your supporters. With war in the air, it only makes it all the more troublesome.” He stood there, looking at her for a moment. “What is it that you hope to achieve by leaving, what is it that you think it will help, why are you willing to risk so much for so little?”

“I will let my brother know of our concerns.”

Willas shook his head “May I speak plainly, Highness?”

“Of course,” she replies with a smile

“The High Septon may have declined the divorce, but should you leave, then the King can ban you from ever entering the Realm again, and for Prince Daeron, or your son Baelor to ever travel to Dorne, or be in your presence, on pain of death even. The marriage might still stay, but the relationship will not”

“The recent statements of the King seem to show he is in favor of maintaining the alliance” She said as they walked forward.

“The King is in favour of whatever he is told to be in favour of, with the accusations of Lady Caron, he will need to act on them. The King needs to be guided, and if Tully and Baratheon have their way, it could spell disaster for you”

Myriah sighs and replies, “I have no doubt that my brother will able to settle this conflict with the Carons peacefully and without need for war between our nations. Anyways, how would my staying in Kings Landing ‘guide’ the king?”

“It wouldn't, but it would make sure that the signal is sent that you are not Dornish first and foremost, but that your loyalty is to the Iron Throne, the King, the Prince and your son. Appearance is everything, and you need to make sure that your appearance is only centered to support one belief.”

“Well, you have made a very good case, and I will write my brother and explain to him your concerns”

He bowed before her “Princess” Before he took his leave.

medieval_port_by_kurobot-d791orn.jpg

The Traveller - a Baratheon's tale

"You don't have to do this, Jon," Edric told his younger brother. Said brother, Jon Baratheon was currently donning a travellers cloak.

"But I do, Edric. You're the firstborn, you couldn't truly understand." Jon, now a strapping young man reaching the age of 18, explained, with a sad smile.

"Because I am thirdborn son. You are the heir of father's possessions, then Stannis is next in line, then Jeyne, unless the one on the way is another son."

Edric frowned, shaking his head. "That's not a reason to leave."

"It is, Ed. Don't you see? You are the heir to the Stormlands. Lyonel is the mighty knight of the Kingsguard. And who am I really? No, I need this to somehow find my own path. I'll become the traveller of the Baratheon family. I'll travel the known world, I'll write down my experiences, and the sights. Someone has to write new tales from the world outside Westeros, someone other than the old tales of Lomas Longstrider. I hope that one will be me."

As Jon spoke, he strapped his bastard sword onto his belt, making sure it was well-fastened.

Resigned Edric nodded and sighed.

"You do know that Father will not be pleased." the eldest brother then said, shaking his head.

"Of course I know. But I am used to Father's disappointment. I am not as strong as you or Lyonel, and it has always disappointed Father. I even remember him once accusing Mother of being unfaithful to him, even though I have the typical Baratheon hair and eyes."

"I remember that," Edric said, smiling. "That was just after the stableboy had bested you in a brawl, was it not?"

Jon nodded. "Yes. Only father would expect a boy of six summers to best another boy twice his age."

The two brothers embraced, before Jon grabbed his bow, and headed towards the door.

"Good luck, little brother. May you find what you seek." Edric said in a low voice, so low that Jon would not hear it. Then the eldest brother turned around and headed back towards the Nursery to find his children.

eKaoOKk.png

The realm is in peril, my dear lords,

Winter is coming, as the starks like to bark about, but where is the resolution we need to survive? I have heard reports of the Hand partying and dancing with Westerland lords, with chatting and gossiping about mystics and mages in Storm's End, but has he alleviated the faith? Has he ensured the realm? No. The septons in my own castles plead for me to not shackle them in chains, they say that they cannot see the light of the future, for it is clouded by steel. Meanwhile, King Aegon the un-crowned sits upon his throne, trusting the entire realm's well-being to a boy, to lead a council of his elders and betters. Is this justice, I ask you? Is this the way that Westeros must fall? Shrouded by enemies from within and without, only to crumble from our own fears?

I say nay! Nay, I say. This farce must be handled with care, for treachery is afoot. I shall call my principle vassals to Riverrun, to discuss our course of action in the coming winter. I advise every other Lord Paramount to do the same, no doubt it would be easy enough for Lord Tyrell, he seems perfectly capable of not being in the Royal Palace, as his duty, but to dilly-dally around the countryside.

-Lord Utherydes Tully​

250px-Greyjoy_coat_sigil.png

House Greyjoy

Lord Dagmer Harlaw, Lord of Harlaw,

Uncle, you faithfully served my father, Quellon Greyjoy, Second of His Name, in the great raid upon Lys. You served my brother in the burning of the Orange Coast, and now, as my brother steps down from the Seastone Chair to make room for a true man of iron, I ask if you will serve me as faithfully you did my kin?

We are bound by the blood of your sister, and as my father recognized your worth, so too shall I, and greatly reward those who serve the Iron Isles well. I ask your presence at Pyke, to serve at an esteemed place at my side, as my Admiral. All I ask in return is loyalty, wise counsel, and offerings to the Drowned God when the time comes.

Your Lord Protector,
~Victarion Greyjoy,
Son of the Sea Wind, Lord Reaper of Pyke

250px-House_Harlaw.PNG

House Harlaw

Lord Protector Victarion,

Know that House Harlaw has always been one loyal to the Seastone Chair and to true Ironborn, and thus We shall stand beside you. The Iron Isles have underwent a period of stagnation until recently, and this is unacceptable, but I have hopes that you shall take us back into the Old Ways and towards the righteous reputation we entertained when the Green folks of the Mainland trembled at the very sight of our ships.

I am prepared to depart to Pyke immediately to provide counsel and service to the Seastone Chair, on your command.

250px-House_Targaryen.PNG

Royal Pronouncement of King Aegon IV of the House Targaryen

My loyal subjects

The current state of the realm has lead to believe it is time for the Small Council to be shaken up. With this in mind I would like to thank Lord Wilas Tyrell for his dutiful service and I will make sure he receives gift of the greatest sort. I can't guarantee when said gift might arrive but hopefully sooner then later.

I hereby appoint these Lords to the Small Council

Hand of the King- Beric Darklyn
Master of Coin- High Septon*
Master of Laws- Willem Lannister
Master of Whispers- Manfred Lothston
Master of Ships- Theodore Hightower

*The High Septon will only gain the position once the Faith recognizes my authority.

~King Aegon IV

Last edited:
250px-House_Darklyn.PNG

My lords,

It is truly an honor for me to be names by His Grace the King as his next Hand. I promise to serve the Iron Throne and the realm with utmost devotion, keeping only the interests of my august master and his kingdom in mind.

I ask the newly appointed members of the Smallcouncil to us assemble as soon as possible, so that we could discuss the pending affairs of state - and to keep me informed regarding their plans and proposals.

- Beric Darklyn, the Lord of Duskendale and Hand of the King

House_Lannister.png

An extremely large number of ravens are sent to everywhere carrying the proclamation of Lord Lannister.

Lords and Ladies of Westeros and Beyond, I, Willem Lannister, Lord Paramount of the Westerlands and Warden of the West, will be holding a splendid Autumn Fair in both Lannisport and Casterly Rock. I urge nobles and commoners alike to visit us and take this opportunity to forge new bonds between the sovereign rulers, to take a glance at fine merchandize that the West has to offer to the world and to prepare yourselves for the coming winter. Every man and woman will be well received.

Willem Lannister, Lord Paramount of the Westerlands, Lord of Casterly Rock, Shield of Lannisport and Warden of the West

Theodore sends a letter to the current Lord Dustin:

Lord Dustin,

Greetings from King's Landing. It is I, Lord Hightower, and I write to you today about a sensitive subject. As you may know, my family lost its ancestral sword during the Dance after my grandfather was slain by Lord Roderick Dustin in combat during the Battle of Tumbleton. Now, over the past year I've begun to do research into what might have happened to the blade and have found something intriguing. Your forefather, Lord Roderick, sent a trophy North before he succumbed to his wounds at the Battle of Tumbleton. It is quite possible that this trophy was Vigilance. Now, it is entirely possible that you might not be aware that you even hold the sword. Lord Roderick sadly perished soon after the order and he might have not explained to anyone the value of the prize that he had gained. Therefore, I have enclosed a description of the blade along with this letter. If you have a blade that matches this description, I urge you to send it to me in King's Landing to verify that it is Vigilance, or if you prefer, it can be taken under close guard to an independent appraiser who is familiar with Valyrian steel blades. Please note that this letter comes with no accusations. I do not wish justice nor do I see your family as thieves. If you do have Vigilance, I do not think that you are holding it with malice and I think that it is likely that you are unaware that you have it if you do own it. If my conclusions are false and you do not have the blade but you might have info that will happen to find it, I ask for you to share it with me. I can promise that I will not harm the current owners of the blade if you wish and I can offer you compensation for information. I am also willing to offer some compensation for the blade, although I unfortunately cannot pay you for its true value, but I will be greatly indebted to you if you can help return my blade to me. I hope you can help me in this endeavor and I hope you understand that I do not mean to slander your family name.

~Lord Hightower

He put down his writing materials and considered recent events. Another small council. He had unfortunately retained his job. I either need to do so good that I get one of these gifts and sent home or I need to do my job so bad that I get dismissed. Lord Darklyn and Lord Lannister also returned, who he had no problem with. Oddly enough Lord Arryn was removed and replaced with Lord Lothston which was odd, since Lord Lothston was rejected in favor of Lord Arryn the last time they needed a Master of Whispers. The most surprising choice was the High Septon. The King must be desperate for legitimacy. The High Septon was Master of Coins. You can bet the taxes on the Faith will be gone before you know it. Not like he really cared. Everything here in King's Landing was a trouble or an issue and he had grown tired of it. He had been so busy with small council meetings that he missed the birth of his second daughter, Lynesse. He considered resigning from time to time, but his damned loyalty always made him stay. He sighed and went to send the message that he had written. He looked down and saw the letter from Lord Lannister on his desk. It was about a huge Autumn Fair in the Westerlands. Maybe that's what he needed right now. He needed a reason to get out of King's Landing for a few days.

((Mummer's Tale: Letter to Lord Dustin about Vigilance, musings on small council changes and how much Theodore hates King's Landing, Theodore and Gladys had a second daughter named Lynesse, Theodore is planning to head to the Autumn Fair))

((BB, sorry i couldn't send orders if i do it now will you be able to work it in?))

((Not a problem Gorgan. As we approach the holidays, I will be posting the update over the next few days then take a break until after the New Year. During the break I encourage you guys to post ICs as you can over the break. Keep posted for the update.))