• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DEY123

First Lieutenant
78 Badges
Sep 27, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • King Arthur II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Knights of Honor
  • BATTLETECH
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
I am playing an Iron man game and my leader has not been able to get a birth for 13 years with his wife and only one bastard with his 2 lovers (who I unluckily was not given the option to make legitimate). I also have the lust trait for half that time. I have no specific fertility negatives and neither does my wife (who is now 29). I also did the "have a son ambition" for about half that time which I believe raises fertility by 10%.

So my question is does the fact that my wife is "in hiding" have an impact (the tool tip says nothing about this). She is an east francian double count and I was a duke in lombard (now king of lombard). So I think people want her dead to avoid her having a child with me and splitting 2 counties away.

Anyhow just wondering if I should divorce her as I am a bit worried about my dynasty, but would love to have a male child or two and get those 2 counties. I only have like 2 other living male members and my character is in his mid 30's.

Advice would be welcome

She is in hiding, you are not, that often makes getting together for some sexy time a bit difficult.

I think in hiding stops births. Certain,y stops marriages .

Otherwise look to how many people in your court . Over a certain number 30? More? It blocks births I believe

It stops births if you have a lot of people in your court? I just saw my empire (in the sense that I belong to it, not as the ruler though, merely a grand duke) dissolve due to my emperor having 17 sons (including legitimized bastards) as well as at least 12 daughters. These are the survivors of the lot as his screen is full of children. He even has a bastard with my current character's wife AND her 3 sisters.

This guy should've had the nickname "the Stud" instead of "the Holy".

It actually only stops births for courtiers not your ruler iirc

I suppose the "in hiding" is a big part of the problem. But aside from that, you can just get unlucky. In my current game, one of my (Catholic) rulers approached 30 without any children. I started freaking out a little. My wife had a "-10 Spurned" modifier. No idea where she got it or what it does, but it was probably from before the guy inherited. I murdered her and got a new wife (I just realized how sick this sounds. What is this game doing to the human psyche?). Still no kids. So I started affairs with this genius lowborn girl, with some duke's wife and some others. Ended up having like three or four bastard children that I all legitimized, and finally I even got some "proper" kids. Just give it some time, they'll come eventually. And don't be afraid of having/legitimizing bastads. -1 diplomacy is nothing and the opinion malus can usually be ignored.
Also, 29 children, really? As a Christian? Wow.

It stops births if you have a lot of people in your court? I just saw my empire (in the sense that I belong to it, not as the ruler though, merely a grand duke) dissolve due to my emperor having 17 sons (including legitimized bastards) as well as at least 12 daughters. These are the survivors of the lot as his screen is full of children. He even has a bastard with my current character's wife AND her 3 sisters.

This guy should've had the nickname "the Stud" instead of "the Holy".
how did the guy have like 30 kid!? so he is basically Augustus II the Strong of the midieval ages

I had a situation, where my King married a Duchess and she didn't want to give him kids. She rather give some courtiers a good tumble and got 3 bastards... I avoid spouses with deceitful and ambitious.

so either I am unlucky or it is the hiding thing (my court is pretty small). I guess I'll have to get the Pope to give me a divorce as I would hate for my line to die out (I can play as one of my nephews but I am a bit worried as I only have a couple living relatives. Its pretty interesting as she went into hiding right after we got married and has stayed their the whole time.