Realistic lanes/motorways - auxiliary lanes

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Woody Red

Captain
8 Badges
Oct 31, 2014
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
would it be possible to add auxiliary lanes to motorways around their exits and entrances ?

so, for example, on a motorway with 3 lanes in one direction - some distance before an exit, it would be good to be able to add an auxiliary deceleration lane that exiting traffic could switch into - this lane would then later diverge from the motorway forming the exit road/ramp. This would mean exiting traffic would not slow down through traffic around exits.

A similar deal with acceleration lanes around entrances - traffic entering the motorway would use the acceleration lane to accelerate before merging into the rest of the traffic.

Turning lanes would also be good to have for busy main roads - which would also work best if it were possible to add additional lanes around the intersections.

** also does anyone know if any city building games currently allow you to do this ? I know the simcity 4 NAM mod allowed turning lanes on avenues.. but they were very clunky to use. and no ability to add auxiliary lanes (that Im aware of..). Still pretty cool though.

thanks !

Yes, it would be perfect if we had highways with acceleration and deceleration lanes (long as we need) before entrances and exits. And a beautiful emergency lane on the right of the main ones. Beautiful highway signs would give a beautiful final touch! :rolleyes:
I'd be glad with portal signs before exits, and with signs of beginning and end of the highway. Fuel pumps would be the best.

It's great in CitiesXL. You have your lanes that you drag, 1-5 lanes in either direction, then you switch to the connection menu and plop a connector/extender to start you ramp infrastructure.

100% agree. Roadway design and traffic simulation is the most important aspect of any city builder, IMO. Of course, my opinion may be a little biased as I am a professional highway engineer. :laugh: But seriously, a lot of what you mentioned should be in this game and I think it would be a mistake to release this game with the current state of roadways and traffic.

As for roadways in general, they've got a good grasp on the construction tool and some starting road layouts, but these need to be templates that can be customized. I always imagined some kind of toolbar with a check-box and slider tool that lets you set number of lanes, bike/transport lanes, parking, median size, sidewalk, treelawns, etc. This would allow the user to customize and save roadway sections to allow for easy yet unique roadway designs.

Additionally, intersections need to be customizable as well. Having only static intersections for the different types of roadway crossings does not cut it. This forces you to upgrade an entire road just because of one high density intersection, which is not necessary in many conditions. The lanes need to be increased and designated based on the movements that get the most amount of traffic. Being able to control the type of traffic control (stop vs signalized) and creating turning lanes is crucial to designing an effective roadway network. Simply clicking any intersection should bring up a dialog box of properties that would allow for this simple customization.

Also, as you said, interchanges definitely need proper acceleration and deceleration lanes, plus lane transfers and ramps. Some of the highway interchanges I've seen so far had me disconcerted. I know the devs are working hard and overall have impressed me given the small team they have. Some of the main city simulation aspects are great and I am extremely excited for the policies and regions. I hope roads are just as good!

The best I've seen so far in realistic roadways for a builder's game is in the cities in motion 2 game. The land is very flexible when applying the roads and tracks on it giving a smooth streamline affect to practically any angle you attack it from. I still can't understand why CO doesn't use that kind of map tile land mass to apply the roads, tracks and buildings on. The buildings are molded beautifully to a hills side land escape. I don't see that in cities skylines game so far. The zoning grid that's underneath the building can be seen from a hill side angle. Giving it that Sim City 4 hill side look. It makes the land look very unrealistic.
I think they should keep the map tile of cities in motion 2,using the brushing method to create the basic land escape. Then create the esthetic land escape you want on top of the map tile to create vegetation like grass, brush, weeds, gardens, farmland etc. The same way you apply the buildings ,roads,objects down on the map tile. The same way for the vegetation. Making the game look more realistic.

How about this?

4Fzs5z.jpg

Jpi1HA.jpg

Yep it is CXL with the Realistic Highway Mod (RHM) V2.0 .. The roadsign is in the "decoration" area and I photoshopped french signs instead of the default german ones and added names of my imaginary districts

Yep it is CXL with the Realistic Highway Mod (RHM) V2.0 .. The roadsign is in the "decoration" area and I photoshopped french signs instead of the default german ones and added names of my imaginary districts

That gets me thinking, with the new district naming tool that comes with C:SL wouldn't it be great if motorway signs were automatically placed at the exits to those districts with the name placed on them?

EDIT: No sooner than I said it I notice this thread has just been started! http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?812915-Road-Signs

How about this?

4Fzs5z.jpg

Jpi1HA.jpg

That decent that in Cities XL that you can customize your own major interchange. But the roads are not as streamlined like in Cities in Motion 2 which you can do that kind of interchange as well. Cities XL has that chopped and pasted look.
So far you still can't beat Cities in Motion 2 rail and roadway systems. I'm kind of disappointed their not using that type of map tile. I think they could read my caption above these pictures!

Yes, the system used in Cities XL could be interesting, but I don't like that there aren't smooth or gentle curves in that mode of the game!
Maybe it's better for CO going on with their standard highways and trying on developing better the highway intersections, with good acceleration and deceleration lanes, road signs (the portal ones included), signs of beginning and end of the HW. Of course other kinds of road signs would be welcome! And don't forget that a good outer fence, especially in urban areas, would be welcome, too!