• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MasterofTofu

Private
60 Badges
Oct 30, 2014
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Stellaris
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Heir to the Throne
Hello everyone! I have stalked the forums a little bit here and there for the past few months but this is my first post. :)

I have a couple of questions on what to do with a few game mechanics. I am playing as the Byzantine Empire from the 769 start date and plan on playing until 1444 to export to EU4. I have conquered all of what I need in Italy and just need to grab the duchies of Jerusalem, Alexandria, and Tunis to restore the Roman Empire.

First off, should I try to make sure that my culture is predominant in every area possible? Should I be fabricating claims on vassals that are not of my culture so that I can install someone who is? Most of these people that are not my culture are in Italy, a couple by the Caspian sea, and some in the Balkans. Most of the rest of my territory I was able to use the Holy War CB.

Should push my relatives claims (of my dynasty) on the thrones of Middle Francia and France? This would be a relatively easy undertaking, but I haven't done this before so I'm not sure if they would be my vassal or not. Do they have to be landed if they are my dynasty?

Also, would it be easier in the long run to use the Imperial Reconquest CB instead of pressing those claims? Does the Imperial Reconquest CB empty the claimed land of its owners like Holy War or leave the lieges like in a de jure claim?

I'm kind of at a loss because I could sure grab a ton of land quickly by pressing my relatives claims on France and Middle Francia, but wouldn't that do away with the idea of spreading Greek culture because most of those vassals would be Frankish or French? Is it even worth it to pursue spreading Greek culture?

Taking care of the Muslims will be easy with the Holy War CB. The Abbasids are somewhat weaker than I am now (after having grabbed some important land when they were weak) and I've beat them in a couple of Holy Wars already; I don't see them getting any harder to take care of. I'm just wondering what would be the best way to reconquer Europe: Pressing some major claims (where applicable) and dealing with the foreign culture in EU4 or using Imperial Reconquest the entire time to spread my culture (if I even can).

I go to the wiki for a lot of questions but some are pretty specific. :p

Hey! (My second post haha)
I believe that the claimant only has to be landed if they aren't of your dynasty when pressing their claims, so you should be good for that.
As far as I know it's quite challenging and rare to convert culture (unless it's one of those melting pot events like for Normans)

There is no difference whether or not rulers or counties are of your culture with respect to creating the Roman Empire.

Pushing the claims gets you large chunks of territory. No difference whether or not you do this before creating the Roman Empire (if you already have all the necessary territory to invoke the RE decision).

Imperial Reconquest is only for one duchy at a time, so kingdom claims will get the job done much faster. Not really any other difference. Between IR and Holy War CBs, go with HW unless you are afraid of your target's religious brethren.

Claims for dynasty members will join your realm unless it is for a title equal or greater than yours, in which case they will become independent. If the person is not of your dynasty, you must land them first or else they will be independent.

No matter which claim you push, imperial reconquest or a kingdom marriage/inheritance claim, revoke a single county, put someone of your culture in it, and then grant them the top tier title. They'll take care of the rest.

Imperial Reconquest will not empty the targeted Duchy but it WILL usually grant you a claim on the Duchy title - you can take it and hand it back out as a Vice Royalty. If you don't do that then you'll gradually build up a stack of Feudal vassals who hate you for having Viceroyals

The problem is even more acute with Kingdom titles and will usually wind up with you having to revoke the Kingdom and then the Duchies somehow to avoid having very angry vassals with large holdings who found factions.

Just so you know right now, if you plan on playing Ironman, I suggest waiting for the next patch. The reasoning is that revolts turn Viceroyalties into Feudal vassals. It ruined my Byzantine Ironman game when my Exarchates in Sicily, Armenia, and Croatia became kingdoms under Primogeniture succession and they all had -100 opinion of me

No matter which claim you push, imperial reconquest or a kingdom marriage/inheritance claim, revoke a single county, put someone of your culture in it, and then grant them the top tier title. They'll take care of the rest.
So your saying that when I push someones claim on a throne (or a use IR to conquer a duchy) I should land someone of my culture with that ducal title or grant the king a county and they'll take care of moving people over to my culture?

The reason I am interested in spreading my culture to the other parts of the map is so I don't have to deal with the penalty in EU4 regarding non-accepted cultures. The tax and manpower penalty (-33%) makes quite a dent in income when it was non-accepted, in addition to the revolt risk (I think that has changed with the patch though). I was thinking that by spreading my culture into Italy and Western Europe I would be doing myself a favor in EU4. Plus I just want to have a homogeneous Greek Roman Empire ruling all of Europe. :p

Have you mended the schism? I believe you'll be able holy war the Catholics who don't convert, which is preferred over pushing a claim or using Imperial CB.

Whether you push a claim or use the imperial CB you are going to need to gradually revoke or educate heirs in order to get same culture title holders.

Imperial reconquest is cleaner if you're talking duchies. You don't need to find land for the claimant somewhere with it, and the claimant isn't likely your culture.

If you have a character with a claim or several claims (Karlings anyone?), press them, if they're kingdom level. It's worth having a frankish vassal to save so much time and money.

You really only want to fabricate a claim on rome, and find someone with a claim to the kingdom of italy to press. It's really not worth it to move the capital to rome, so just give the county.

Have you mended the schism? I believe you'll be able holy war the Catholics who don't convert, which is preferred over pushing a claim or using Imperial CB.

Whether you push a claim or use the imperial CB you are going to need to gradually revoke or educate heirs in order to get same culture title holders.

I actually like keeping rulers the same culture as their counties, and not culture converting, because it removes the revolt risk from wrong culture immediately instead of having to wait maybe centuries for culture conversions.

So your saying that when I push someones claim on a throne (or a use IR to conquer a duchy) I should land someone of my culture with that ducal title or grant the king a county and they'll take care of moving people over to my culture?

The reason I am interested in spreading my culture to the other parts of the map is so I don't have to deal with the penalty in EU4 regarding non-accepted cultures. The tax and manpower penalty (-33%) makes quite a dent in income when it was non-accepted, in addition to the revolt risk (I think that has changed with the patch though). I was thinking that by spreading my culture into Italy and Western Europe I would be doing myself a favor in EU4. Plus I just want to have a homogeneous Greek Roman Empire ruling all of Europe. :p

No matter which claim you use, make sure that the top tier guy is of your culture even if you have to revoke titles to do it. It shouldn't matter too much if you're the Roman Emperor since you'll most likely have enough good traits plus born in the purple/augustus to counteract the revocation malus. Then that top tier guy will go about revoking counties and forcing heirs to be educated with your culture.

No matter which claim you use, make sure that the top tier guy is of your culture even if you have to revoke titles to do it. It shouldn't matter too much if you're the Roman Emperor since you'll most likely have enough good traits plus born in the purple/augustus to counteract the revocation malus. Then that top tier guy will go about revoking counties and forcing heirs to be educated with your culture.

That's something I was wondering about, thank you for that. I can probably just go ahead and press their claims to the thrones then since they are all of my culture and let them do the work.